Spectacular Paralympic Setting Includes Opening Ceremony on Champs Elysees and Place de la Concorde, Blind Soccer at Eiffel Tower, Wheelchair Tennis at Roland Garros, and Para Equestrian at Versailles
Over 140 Televised Hours of Paralympic Programming and Record 1,500+ Hours of Live Paralympic Streaming Coverage on Peacock and NBC Sports Digital Platforms
Viewers to Get Closer to Para Athletes Than Ever Before with Access, Profiles, Interviews, and Special Focus on Team USA
Toyota Returns as Presenting Sponsor of NBCU’s Paralympic Coverage
STAMFORD, Conn. – Aug. 29, 2023 – With less than one year until the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games, NBCUniversal announced today record-setting programming for the 17th edition of the international athletic event. The NBC broadcast network and streaming service Peacock will be the company’s primary platforms for its coverage of the Paris 2024 Paralympic Games, which will take place Aug. 28-Sept. 8, next year.
In Paris, the Paralympic Games will return to their true glory, with full stadiums and the world’s greatest Para athletes competing against the backdrop of one of the most iconic cities in the world. This will be the first time the French capital will host the Paralympic Games.
Several unique features will make next year’s Paralympic Games one for the ages, including a breathtaking Opening Ceremony set to take place on the Champs-Élysées and the Place de la Concorde. Located in the heart of Paris, an estimated 4,400 athletes representing over 180 delegations from around the world are expected to take part in the opening festivities. Additional events taking place amidst the iconic Parisian landmarks include the Eiffel Tower, Roland Garros, Versailles, and more.
“It is a great privilege to present the Paralympic Games to the American people,” said Gary Zenkel, President, NBC Olympics & Paralympics. “Paris 2024 has an incredibly exciting plan for the Paralympics, and our coverage and distribution will match their grand ambition. We take pride in our commitment to grow the Games alongside the IPC and USOPC, working together to attract sponsors and advertisers who will support the Paralympics — already one of the world’s most compelling sporting events and one with so much potential to grow as we approach a historic domestic Games in Los Angeles in 2028.”
In response to overwhelming support for the Paralympic movement, NBCUniversal continues to expand its coverage with an extensive programming plan for Paris.
- More than 140 hours of Paris Paralympic television coverage across NBC, USA Network, and CNBC will be presented, including daily live coverage of every competition day on USA Network and CNBC. NBCUniversal’s diverse portfolio of linear television channels makes for a versatile and enhanced viewing experience.
- Nine hours of Paralympic coverage on NBC, with six of those hours in primetime, will be presented to U.S. viewers, including live Paralympic competition coverage on NBC on the weekend.
- Primetime broadcasts on NBC will feature the top stories and moments of the Paralympics, as NBC Sports’ award-winning storytellers weave competition coverage with athlete profiles and interviews, taking viewers inside the Games like never before. With a special focus on the athletes of Team USA, the primetime coverage will showcase their personal stories and training, motivation, and performance, as they compete against the world’s best on the biggest stage in Para sports.
- NBCU’s Paralympic Games coverage, which will again be presented by Toyota, will include the most live Peacock streaming hours ever for a Paralympic event, with approximately 1,500 hours of live coverage across all 22 Paralympic sports set to be presented throughout the duration of the 12-day event. Peacock will be the most comprehensive Paralympic destination in U.S. media history.
- NBCUniversal will also provide comprehensive live streaming coverage on NBC Sports digital platforms, including com and the NBC Sports app.
- There will be closed captioning of every Paralympic event, regardless of platform. There will also be audio description on all linear programming.
For the first time, NBCUniversal will employ on-site hosts in Paris as well as its largest Paralympic crew of on-site reporters to capture the atmosphere, buzz, and prestige that can only be felt at an event like the Paralympic Games. Detailed information about NBCU’s on-air commentators will be announced closer to the start of the Games.
“We are excited to take our presentation of the Paralympic Games to the next level with enhanced venue coverage and a larger on-site presence, as the athletes compete against the backdrop of some of the most iconic locations in the world,” said Alexa Pritting, senior producer for NBCU’s Paralympic coverage. “We will continue to showcase and elevate these incredible competitors by providing record-breaking coverage of their achievements at one of the world’s largest and most impactful international sporting events.”
Click here for NBCUniversal’s coverage of the Olympic Games Paris 2024.
–PARIS 2024 PARALYMPIC GAMES–