Six-Part Weekly Anthology Series Begins Thursday, May 28, with ‘I’m Back,’ Covering Michael Jordan’s First NBA Comeback Announcement
Original Storytelling to Explore New & Forgotten Aspects of Well-Known Topics Through Exclusive, High-Profile Interviews
Featured Teams & Personalities Include: Jordan, Bill Belichick, Sean Taylor, Barret Robbins, Oregon Ducks and Philadelphia Flyers
NBC Sports’ Mike Tirico Introduces Each Podcast Episode
STAMFORD, Conn. – May 26, 2020 – NBC Sports Regional Networks will debut a new six-episode podcast anthology series, “Sports Uncovered,” that re-examines some of the most memorable and compelling storylines and events in sports history, beginning Thursday, May 28. New episodes will publish each Thursday through July 2.
The original storytelling franchise utilizes exclusive, in-depth interviews with prominent participants, witnesses and experts to explore new, underreported or forgotten aspects of well-known topics centered in each of the NBC Sports Regional Networks markets.
“Sports Uncovered” episodes cover the following topics: Michael Jordan’s NBA return, in-depth looks at Bill Belichick and the late Sean Taylor, the story behind Barret Robbins’ Super Bowl disappearance, the University of Oregon’s uniform revolution, and the Philadelphia Flyers’ marathon five-overtime thriller.
NBC Sports’ Mike Tirico introduces each podcast episode and featured guests throughout the series include basketball greats Dominique Wilkins, Chris Mullin and Steve Kerr, Heisman Trophy winner Doug Flutie and finalist Joey Harrington, Pro Football Hall of Famers Joe Gibbs and Tim Brown, agent Drew Rosenhaus, former Flyers Brian Boucher and Keith Jones, and more.
Click here for the “Sports Uncovered” trailer with Mike Tirico.
“Sports Uncovered” schedule:
|RELEASE DATE||NBC SPORTS RSN||TITLE|
|May 28||Chicago||“I’m Back”|
|June 4||Boston||“The Bill Belichick You Don’t Know”|
|June 11||Northwest||“The Uniform Craze That Revolutionized College Football”|
|June 18||Washington||“Sean Taylor, the NFL Superstar We Didn’t Get to Know”|
|June 25||Philadelphia||“Marathon on Ice”|
|July 2||Bay Area||“The Mysterious Disappearance that Changed a Super Bowl”|
NBC Sports Chicago
Description: How a two-word fax from Michael Jordan changed the course of NBA history, plus never-before-heard stories about his secret workouts with another NBA team.
Release Date: May 28
Featured Guests Include:
- David Falk, Jordan’s longtime agent
- Steve Kerr, Eight-time NBA champion
- Chris Mullin, Basketball Hall of Famer
- Dominique Wilkins, Basketball Hall of Famer
The Bill Belichick You Don’t Know
NBC Sports Boston
Description: Bill Belichick’s closest confidants reveal the side of the New England Patriots head coach the public doesn’t get to see.
Release Date: June 4
- Doug Flutie, Former Patriots quarterback and NBC Sports Notre Dame Football analyst
- Rodney Harrison, Former Patriots defensive back and NBC Sports’ Football Night in America analyst
- Charlie Weis, Former Patriots offensive coordinator
The Uniform Craze That Revolutionized College Football
NBC Sports Northwest
Description: How the University of Oregon ignited a fashion arms race across the NCAA and all sports, by going from having Donald Duck as its mascot to trendsetting Nike uniforms that attracted five-star recruits to Eugene.
Release Date: June 11
- Mike Bellotti, Former Oregon football head coach
- Tinker Hatfield, Nike designer
- Joey Harrington, Former Oregon quarterback and Heisman Trophy finalist
Sean Taylor, the NFL Superstar We Didn’t Get to Know
NBC Sports Washington
Description: Untold stories that explain why the NFL’s biggest stars revere Sean Taylor, the Washington Redskins safety who was killed at 24 while protecting his family.
Release Date: June 18
- Landon Collins, Redskins safety
- Joe Gibbs, Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Redskins head coach
- Drew Rosenhaus, Taylor’s agent
- Jonathan Vilma, Taylor’s college teammate and three-time Pro Bowl linebacker
Marathon on Ice
NBC Sports Philadelphia
Description: How the Philadelphia Flyers and Pittsburgh Penguins survived seven hours of playoff hockey as they battled in the longest game of the NHL’s modern era.
Release Date: June 25
- Brian Boucher, Former Flyers goalie and NBC Sports hockey analyst
- Keith Jones, Former Flyers forward and NBC Sports hockey analyst
- Chris Therien, Former Flyers defenseman
The Mysterious Disappearance That Changed a Super Bowl
NBC Sports Bay Area
Description: Barret Robbins in his own words — from prison — revealing the real reasons why he disappeared and missed playing in the Raiders’ loss in Super Bowl XXXVII.
Release Date: July 2
- Barret Robbins, Former Raiders center
- Tim Brown, Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Raiders wide receiver
- Bill Romanowski, Former Raiders linebacker and four-time Super Bowl champion
– NBC SPORTS REGIONAL NETWORKS –