Fan Night Exceeds Last Year’s Record Ratings and Fan Voting Totals
NBA TV netted record ratings for its popular Fan Night franchise during the 2011-12 regular season, averaging 455,000 viewers (+13%) and 362,000 household impressions (+18%) for its 22-game schedule to become the most-watched Fan Night season ever.
NBA TV’s Fan Night – where fans vote for the games they wanted to see via NBA.com, NBA’s Facebook page and Yahoo.com – garnered a triple-digit increase over last year’s voting averages. For the 2011-2012 season, an average of 186,000 votes were cast per game, up 104 percent compared to the average of 91,000 votes cast per game last season.
This season’s Fan Night also saw increases in all key demographics over last season’s games:
- A18-34: 147,000 vs. 127,000 +16%
- A18-49: 236,000 vs. 225,000 +5%
- A25-54: 222,000 vs. 209,000 +6%
- M18-34: 110,000 vs. 97,000 +13%
- M18-49: 183,000 vs. 170,000 +8%
- M25-54: 175,000 vs. 161,000 +9%
The Miami Heat continued to be a Fan Night favorite, attracting the most votes and largest audiences this season. The top five most-watched NBA TV Fan Night games among total viewers this seasonwere:
- 1/17/12 – San Antonio at Miami Heat: 675,000 viewers
- 3/13/12 – Miami Heat at Orlando Magic: 643,000 viewers
- 3/20/12 – Phoenix Suns at Miami Heat: 580,000 viewers
- 1/24/12 – Cleveland Cavaliers at Miami Heat: 547,000 viewers
- 3/06/12 – New York Knicks at Dallas Mavericks: 534,000 viewers
Source: Nielsen Media Research, StarTrak. Based on Live +Same Day data stream. NBA TV Fan Night 2011-12: 1/3/12-4/3/12, 2010-11: 11/2/10-4/5/11. Tuesday Prime 8-11P, strict daypart. Digital resources: Cogix.