Two days before the much-anticipated welterweight unification title fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, a special Thursday edition of ESPN Friday Night Fights presented by Corona Extra and Noche de Combates presentado por Corona Extra will air live April 30, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and via WatchESPN. The show, from the Pearl Theatre at Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas, will be headlined by former world titleholder Ishe “Sugar Shay” Smith (26-7, 12 KOs) taking on Cecil McCalla (20-1, 7 KOs) in a 10-round junior middleweight bout.
Joe Tessitore and Teddy Atlas will describe the action on ESPN2, while studio host Todd Grisham will be on site providing the latest news on Mayweather-Pacquiao. Pablo Viruega and Delvin Rodríguez will call the fights ringside for Noche de Combates on ESPN Deportes, while Leopoldo González and Claudia Trejos will co-anchor the studio on site. Hall-of-Fame boxing referee and analyst Joe Cortez will join Trejos and González during the telecast. Bilingual reporter Bernardo Osuna will provide live interviews and reports for both shows.
Las Vegas’ Smith, a former junior middleweight titleholder, is looking to rebound from a 12-round unanimous decision loss to defending junior middleweight titlist Erislandy Lara.
“I’m training in Las Vegas for this fight, right at home at the Mayweather Gym,” Smith said. “I’ve been sparring with some pretty good guys…I don’t know much about McCalla. After being in the game as long as I have, you just treat everybody the same – you don’t take anybody lightly. You just make sure you’re prepared.”
Baltimore’s McCalla is looking to get back to his winning ways following a split-decision loss to Chris Van Heerden.
“Ishe is a rough fighter, but nothing I haven’t seen before. I’m ready for this fight,” McCalla said. “I’m definitely looking forward to it. It’s a good fight for me. I’m really determined to get this win. I want to shine this fight.”
Thursday’s 10-round co-feature will pit veteran junior welterweight Ashley “Treasure” Theophane (37-6-1, 11 KOs) against Mahonri “Rusito” Montes (29-4-1, 20 KOs). In his last fight, Theophane, who hails from Las Vegas, won a 10-round unanimous decision over Hector Zuniga, while Mexico’s Montes won an eight-round unanimous decision over previously undefeated Diego Cruz.
|Date||Time (ET)||Main Event||Location||Networks|
|Thurs, Apr 30||9 p.m.||Ishe Smith (26-7, 12 KOs) vs. Cecil McCalla (20-1, 7 KOs) —10 rounds, Jr. Middleweight||Palms Casino Hotel,
|ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN|
|Fri, May 8||9 p.m.||Amir Mansour (21-1, 16 KOs) vs. Joey Dawejko (14-3, 7 KOs)—10 rounds, Heavyweight||2300 Arena
|ESPN2, ESPN Deportes+, WatchESPN|
|Fri, May 15||9 p.m.||Reynaldo Ojeda (16-0, 9 KOs) vs. Monty Meza Clay (36-4, 22 KOs)||Connecticut Convention Center, Hartford, Conn.||ESPN2, ESPN Deportes+, WatchESPN|
|Fri, May 22||10 p.m.||Boxcino 2015 Finals
Andrey Fedosov (27-3, 22 KOs) vs. Donovan Dennis (12-1, 10 KOs)—10 rounds, Heavyweight
Brandon Adams (17-1, 12 KOs) vs. John Thompson (16-1, 5 KOs)—10 Rds. Jr. Middleweight
|Omega Products Center, Corona, Calif.||ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN|
*Schedule subject to change
ESPN Boxing Social Media and Digital Content:
- Follow ESPN Friday Night Fights’ Nigel Collins on Twitter @ESPNFNF or like ESPN Friday Night Fights on Facebook.
- Score the fights round-by-round with the “Live Friday Night Fights Facebook Voting App,” an application on the ESPN FNF Facebook page that allows viewers to score the fight round-by-round.
- Follow ESPN Deportes’ Noche de Combates on Twitter @ESPNBoxeo.
- For the latest ESPN.com boxing news and analysis follow @ESPNBoxing.
- For ESPN boxing digital content, visit the newly re-designed boxing section on ESPN.com (http://espn.go.com/boxing/).
ESPN “All in” from Las Vegas for Mayweather-Pacquiao
ESPN continues extensive week-long coverage from Las Vegas of Saturday’s 12-round welterweight unification title fight between undefeated five-division world champion Floyd “Money” Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs) and eight-division world champion Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs).
- SportsCenter,First Take, SportsNation, ESPN Radio’s The Herd with Colin Cowherd, Sirius XM’s Stephen A. Smith Show, ESPN Radio LA710 Max & Marcellus in Las Vegas;
- Coverage from Las Vegas on ESPN Deportes’ news and information platforms,Semana de Campeones;
- “All-Access” specials;
- Special Thursday edition ofESPN Friday Night Fights, Noche de Combates;
- Pre- and post-fight analysis, stories on ESPN.com, ESPN Deportes.com, ESPN The Magazine.
— 30 –