- Guest Analyst: Venezuelan Pitcher & 3-Time All-Star Carlos Zambrano
- Venezuelan Players Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Tigers First Base Coach Omar Vizquel & More To Be Featured
- ESPN MLB Analyst Doug Glanville to Play Central Role Throughout Global Game Series
- Four-part Global Game Series to Include Focuses on Mexico, Dominican Republic and Japan
ESPN’s Global Game series, which celebrates various cultural influences on the game of baseball, returns Monday, May 9 with a special episode of Monday Night Baseball presented by USAA: Miguel Cabrera and the Detroit Tigers take on Bryce Harper and the Washington Nationals at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN. The May 9 Global Game theme will be Venezuela. Both teams have several Venezuelan players and personnel, including Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Wilson Ramos and Omar Vizquel.
Carlos Zambrano, 3-time All-Star and Venezuelan-born former major league pitcher will appear as a guest analyst for Monday’s Global Game alongside ESPN MLB analysts Doug Glanville and Eduardo Perez and play-by-play voice Karl Ravech. Pedro Gomez will serve as reporter. Glanville will play a central role in the Global Game series this season integrating his knowledge of international baseball throughout the telecasts.
Additional production highlights Global Game Venezuela:
- Cultural discussions about Venezuela;
- Interviews with Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez and more;
- A fielding demo with Tigers’ first base coach and 11-time Gold Glove winner Omar Vizquel;
- Features on the rich history of Venezuelan shortstops, first Venezuelan-born Hall of Famer Luis Aparicio and the significance of the number 13.
The 2016 Global Game series on ESPN will feature three more games throughout the remainder of the season. Mexico, Dominican Republic and Japan will all be represented. More details on these games to follow in upcoming weeks.