Super Bowl Champions Marcus Allen, James Harrison, Ronnie Lott, Peyton Manning, Joe Namath and Mike Singletary Headline Opening Film
Entertainment Icons Kevin Hart and Carrie Underwood Featured in Open
STAMFORD, Conn. – Feb. 9, 2022 – Academy Award-winning actor, producer and director Halle Berry will headline NBC Sports’ Hollywood-themed Super Bowl LVI show open featuring superstars from the worlds of football and entertainment.
On Sunday, Feb. 13, NBC Sports presents Super Bowl LVI at SoFi Stadium – the first Super Bowl in Los Angeles in nearly three decades – on NBC, Peacock and Telemundo.
The special show open, which kicks off the 6 p.m. ET hour on NBC and Peacock, is a fun, nostalgic, and uplifting tribute to the big game and the big screen, taking the audience on a journey through the history of the Super Bowl and the long chronicle of football movies that Hollywood has produced.
Joining Berry in the star-studded feature:
- Marcus Allen – Pro Football Hall of Famer and Super Bowl XVIII MVP
- James Harrison – Two-time Super Bowl champion and star of the longest play in Super Bowl history (100-yard, interception-return touchdown)
- Kevin Hart – Stand-up comedian and actor
- Ronnie Lott – Pro Football Hall of Famer and four-time Super Bowl champion
- Peyton Manning – Pro Football Hall of Famer and Super Bowl XLI MVP
- Joe Namath – Pro Football Hall of Famer and Super Bowl III MVP
- Mike Singletary – Pro Football Hall of Famer and Super Bowl XX winner
- Carrie Underwood — Seven-time Grammy Award-winner and multi-platinum recording artist, who has starred in NBC Sunday Night Football show open since 2013
The piece was shot over two days at Universal Studios Hollywood, with additional scenes in Nashville and Denver. The production team then created a football movie montage for the ages, with digital extensions giving the piece a fluid combination of live action, computer graphic builds, 3D matte-painting, and filmic visual effects.
NBC Sports’ Super Bowl LVI show open was directed by Tripp Dixon, produced by Fred Gaudelli, Aaron Cohen and Charlie Vanacore.
With coverage kicking off at Noon ET, Super Bowl LVI marks NBC’s 20th Super Bowl broadcast and the first on Peacock. Telemundo (coverage begins at 5 p.m. ET) will be the first Spanish-language broadcast network to air the Super Bowl.
Peacock customers who subscribe to the premium tier enjoy access to stream all NBC Sunday Night Football games including preseason, playoffs and Super Bowl LVI.
NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app will stream Super Bowl LVI to desktops, mobile, tablets, and connected TVs, giving consumers additional value to their subscription service, and making high-quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of the home and on multiple platforms. The full HD-quality video stream will come directly from NBC’s broadcasts. NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app are available on the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Windows Store, Roku Channel Store, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Samsung Smart TVs, Xbox, and Chromecast.
— NBC SPORTS –