TBS Opens 2009 MLB Postseason with Biggest Audience Since 2005
Network Records its Most Watched Total Day in 2009 to Date
Network also Scores Double-Digit Growth in Ratings, Viewers and Households Compared to 2008
TBS took the field for its 2009 MLB Postseason coverage with the most-watched day one of the LDS since 2005, averaging 4,933,000 total viewers for tripleheader coverage. The network also saw double-digit growth compared to last year, averaging a 3.3 U.S. household rating for all three games, which was a 14% ratings increase over day one of 2008. In addition, total average viewers increased 16% (4,933,000 vs. 4,256,000) and households were up 14% (3,792,000 vs. 3,316,000) versus last year. TBS also recorded its most-watched total day in 2009 to date.
Overall, day one of the League Division Series saw significant growth in all key demos, including:
- A18-34: +32%, 1,115,000 this year vs. 847,000 in 2008
- A18-49: +16%, 2,291,000 vs. 1,980,000
- A25-54: +11%, 2,293,000 vs. 2,070,000
- M18-34: +32%, 802,000 vs. 608,000
- M18-49: +12%, 1,639,000 vs. 1,461,000
- M25-54: +8%, 1,650,000 vs. 1,529,000
TBS’s exclusive coverage of LDS game one matchups delivered strong results, including:
- The network’s primetime game of the Minnesota Twins @ New York Yankees earned a 4.3 U.S. household rating, up 23%, and 6,607,000 total viewers, up 23% over last year’s Los Angeles Dodgers @ Chicago Cubs game in the same time slot.
- The Twins/Yankees game delivered a 21.6 rating in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market and a 13.4 rating in the New York market.
- The St. Louis Cardinals @ Los Angeles Dodgers game delivered a 3.3 U.S. household rating, up 10%, and 4,973,000 total viewers, up 12% over last year’s Boston Red Sox @ Los Angeles Angles of Anaheim game.
- The Cardinals/Dodgers game delivered a 20.0 rating in the St. Louis market and a 9.6 rating in the Los Angeles market.
- Finally, the average household rating for the Colorado Rockies @ Philadelphia Phillies was even with last year’s Milwaukee Brewers @ Philadelphia Phillies game, receiving a 2.0 U.S. household rating and 2,758,000 total viewers.
- The Rockies/Phillies game delivered a 15.5 rating in the Philadelphia market and a 5.9 rating in the Denver market.
The MLB Postseason on TBS continues today with another tripleheader featuring the Colorado Rockies @ Philadelphia Phillies (2:30 p.m. ET), St. Louis Cardinals @ Los Angeles Dodgers (6 p.m. ET) and Game #1 of the Boston Red Sox @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (9:30 p.m. ET). Friday’s doubleheader coverage will feature Game #2 between the Minnesota Twins and the New York Yankees at 6 p.m. (ET), followed by Game #2 of the Boston Red Sox @ Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at 9:30 p.m. (ET). TBS MLB on Deck will lead off the coverage with a 30-minute pre-game beginning at 5:30 p.m. (ET). Inside MLB presented by Captain Morgan will conclude TBS’s daily coverage, following the completion of the Red Sox/Angels game.
Source: Based on Nielsen Media Research, Live data for dates prior to 2005. Live + Same Day data for dates proceeding. MLB League Divisional Series Day 1 TBS, 10/07/09, 10/01/08, 10/03/07, ESPN / FOX 10/03/06, 10/04/05. TBS: Total Day (12-29-08 – 10-07-09).