College GameDay and Saturday Primetime to Tip off at Site of Women’s Basketball Matchup – No. 3 Notre Dame at No. 1 Connecticut on Jan. 16
The sixth consecutive season of ESPN’s College GameDay Driven by State Farm® and Saturday Primetime Presented by DirecTV Game of the Week series will begin Jan. 16 from Storrs, Conn. for the women’s BIG EAST showdown between No. 3 Notre Dame and defending National Champion No. 1 Connecticut. It will mark the first time the show has originated from a women’s game. Two one-hour segments of the show will air at 10 a.m. ET and at 8 p.m. The game will air on ESPN at 9 p.m.
The Jan.16 College GameDay crew will include Rece Davis, Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps and Hubert Davis, who will be joined by Doris Burke. The Saturday Primetime commentator team will feature Dan Shulman, Burke and Dick Vitale, who, in his 31st season with ESPN, will be calling his first women’s basketball telecast.
Following the Jan. 16 telecasts, College GameDay will regularly feature R. Davis, Bilas, Phelps, H. Davis and Bob Knight. The Saturday Primetime team will generally include Shulman, Vitale and Erin Andrews.
The College GameDay basketball franchise debuted Jan. 22, 2005, from Storrs, Conn., where it showcased a Pittsburgh at Connecticut men’s basketball matchup.
College GameDay highlights for Jan. 16:
- An all-access wired piece with Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma at a recent practice, as he prepares the Huskies to defend their No. 1 ranking and 54-game winning streak. Coach Auriemma will also join the GameDay crew on set;
- A vignette highlighting Connecticut’s standout forward, Maya Moore;
- A look back at Notre Dame streak busters;
- Feature on Baylor freshman phenomenon Brittany Griner.
Highlights of this year’s schedule include:
- Three of last year’s NCAA Men’s Final Four participants: North Carolina, Michigan State and Villanova;
- First-time stops at Clemson, Illinois, Kansas State and Washington;
- Four of the top five and 10 of the top 25 ranked teams in the ESPN/USA Today poll: No. 2 Kentucky, No. 3 Kansas, No. 4 Villanova, No. 5 Syracuse, No. 7 Duke, No. 8 Michigan State, No. 10 Tennessee, No. 12 Kansas State, No. 13 North Carolina and No. 19 Clemson.
Scheduled Sites for College GameDay and Saturday Primetime
|Date||Site||Game (All 9 p.m. ET on ESPN unless otherwise noted)|
|Jan 16||Storrs, Conn.||No. 3 Notre Dame at No. 1 Connecticut (women)|
|Jan 23||Clemson, S.C.||No. 7 Duke at No. 19 Clemson|
|Jan 30||Manhattan, Kan.||No. 3 Kansas at No. 12 Kansas State (6 p.m. show; game at 7 p.m.)|
|Feb 6||Champaign, Ill.||No. 8 Michigan State at Illinois|
|Feb 13||Lexington, Ky.||No. 10 Tennessee at No. 2 Kentucky|
|Feb 20||Seattle||UCLA at Washington|
|Feb 27||Syracuse, N.Y.||No. 4 Villanova at No. 5 Syracuse|
|Mar 6||Durham, N.C.||No. 13 North Carolina at No. 7 Duke|
Note: College GameDay will air every Saturday at 11 a.m. and 8 p.m. (except for January 16 and 30)