11 Emmys Tops Among Sports Media Companies
Super Bowl XLIX Wins for Outstanding Live Sports Special
7 Sports Emmys for 2014 Sochi Winter Games Tops Among All Programs
Cris Collinsworth & Mike Emrick Are Repeat Winners
NEW YORK, N.Y. – May 5, 2015 – NBC Sports Group’s presentation of the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia earned seven Sports Emmys – the most of any program – to lead NBC Sports Group to 11 Sports Emmy Awards tonight at the 36th Annual Sports Emmy Awards. The awards were presented by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at Frederick P. Rose Hall, Home of Jazz at Lincoln Center.
With 11 Sports Emmy Awards for excellence in sports television production, NBC Sports Group tied for the most Emmys of any sports media company – marking the fifth consecutive year that NBC had the highest award total. NBC’s presentation of Super Bowl XLIX earned the Sports Emmy for Outstanding Live Sports Special. NBC Sports Group also won in the Outstanding Technical Team Studio category for its Premier League coverage.
Sunday Night Football analyst Cris Collinsworth and NBC Sports Group’s lead NHL play-by-play voice Mike “Doc” Emrick were repeat winners. Collinsworth was awarded his seventh consecutive Emmy for Outstanding Sports Personality-Sports Event Analyst. It was Collinsworth’s 16th career Emmy, which includes wins in 2007 and 2008 in the Studio Analyst category for work on Football Night in America. Emrick won his second consecutive and third Emmy in five years for Outstanding Sports Personality-Play-by-Play.
MARK LAZARUS, NBC SPORTS GROUP CHAIRMAN: “We are proud to be honored by our peers in the industry. Tonight’s results speak to the quality of the work NBC Sports Group produces on a daily basis, as well as at global events like the Olympics and the Super Bowl. We want to extend our congratulations to all of tonight’s winners and nominees.”
The seven Sports Emmys for NBC’s 2014 Sochi Winter Games coverage – including two for NBCOlympics.com — is the most for NBC’s Winter Olympics production since the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Games (11). NBC’s Sochi Olympics coverage won in the following categories:
- Outstanding New Approaches – Sports Event Coverage: The XXII Olympic Winter Games (NBCOlympics.com)
- Outstanding New Approaches – Sports Programming: The XXII Olympic Winter Games – As the Athletes Experienced Them (NBCOlympics.com)
- Dick Schaap Outstanding Writing Award: The XXII Olympic Winter Games – Winter’s Theatre (NBC)
- Outstanding Post-Produced Audio/Sound: The XXII Olympic Winter Games – Winter’s Theatre (NBC)
- Outstanding Live Graphic Design: The XXII Olympic Winter Games (NBC/NBCSN/CNBC/USA/MSNBC)
- The George Wensel Technical Achievement Award: The XXII Olympic Winter Games – Maximum Access (NBC)
- Outstanding Technical Team Remote: The XXII Olympic Winter Games (NBC)
Additional wins included:
- Outstanding Live Sports Special: Super Bowl XLIX – Seattle Seahawks vs. New England Patriots (NBC)
- Outstanding Sports Personality – Play-by-Play: Mike Emrick (NBC/NBCSN)
- Outstanding Sports Personality – Sports Event Analyst: Cris Collinsworth (NBC)
- Outstanding Technical Team Studio: Premier League (NBC/NBCSN)
A complete list of winners will be made available at www.emmyonline.org.
–NBC Sports Group–