Interactivity and fan participation online, on mobile devices and via social media tools;
Dozens of hours of live coverage on ESPN3.com, ESPN Mobile TV;
Instant results, chats, expert commentary and more on ESPN.com/Action, XGames.com
ESPN Digital Media is celebrating 15 years of Winter X Games by dropping in dozens of hours of live coverage on ESPN3.com and ESPN Mobile TV, latest news and results from ESPN.com/Action and more across all screens and social media tools in what will be its most interactive Winter X event to date. Fan participation will be front and center across digital platforms, giving fans access by every means possible to be a part of all the action on the mountain.
ESPN.com/Action and XGames.com
The 24/7 action sports website dedicated to year-round coverage will be on-site live from Aspen throughout the four days of Winter X. ESPN.com/Action, also accessible via XGames.com, will feature live coverage including numerous extensions such as schedules, live results, Cover It Live with ESPN experts and analysts, athlete chats, ZOOM photo galleries, fan interactivity, a Facebook wall stream, Twitter module and more.
Additional coverage includes expert commentary with fan participation featuring contributors B.J. Smith, John Symms, Melissa Larsen, Mary Fenton, Megan Michelson and others, event recaps, feature stories and exclusive behind-the-scenes video. ESPN.com/Action will also be the exclusive home for fan voting of Real Snow, the first video-only contest at X Games that features exclusive video from eight snowboarders competing for the best overall impression.
ESPN’s signature broadband sports network, currently available in more than 65 million households nationwide, will carry 34 hours of live action coverage from Winter X Games 15, including 10 hours of exclusive content and streaming video of competition. The schedule:
|Wed, Jan 26||7:30 p.m.||Women’s Ski Pipe Elimination||ESPN3.com|
|9:30 p.m.||Men’s Skip Pipe Elimination||ESPN3.com|
|Thu, Jan 27||12:00 p.m.||Skiing Slopestyle Men’s Elimination
Snowmobile Freestyle Elimination
|3:00 p.m.||Women’s Skip Slope Final||ESPN3.com|
|9:00 p.m.||Snowboard SuperPipe Men’s Elimination
Snowmobile Freestyle Final
|11:00 p.m.||Women’s Ski Pipe Final||ESPN3.com|
|Fri, Jan 28||11:30 a.m.||Snowboard X Seeding||ESPN3.com|
|12:00 p.m.||Skiing Slopestyle Women’s Final
Snowboard Slopestyle Men’s Elimination
|2:00 p.m.||Skier X Seeding||ESPN3.com|
|4:00 p.m.||Snowmobile Speed & Style Seeding||ESPN3.com|
|7:00 p.m.||Skiing SuperPipe Men’s Final
Snowboard Best Method
Snowmobile Speed & Style Final
Snowboard Big Air Final
|Sat, Jan 29||11:30 a.m.||Mono X Qualifying||ESPN3.com|
|12:00 p.m.||Women’s Snowboard Pipe Elimination||ESPN3.com|
|2:00 p.m.||Men’s Snowboard X||ESPN3.com|
|4:00 p.m.||Snowboarder X Women’s Finals
Snowboard Real Snow
Skiing Slopestyle Men’s Final
|9:00 p.m.||Snowboard SuperPipe Women’s Final
Skiing Big Air Final
|Sun, Jan 30||12:30 p.m.||Snowboard Slopestyle Women’s Final
Skier X Men’s & Women’s Finals
Snowmobile SnoCross Final
Snowmobile SnoCross Adaptive Final
Snowboarder X Men’s Final
Snowboard Slopestyle Men’s Final
Mono Skier X Semifinal and Final
|7:00 p.m.||Snowboard Street Final
Snowmobile Best Trick Final
Snowboard SuperPipe Men’s Final
Live coverage from ESPN3.com, available at no cost to fans who receive their Internet or cable video subscription from an affiliated service provider, is also available via ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold level members on an affiliated provider. Other Winter X content available on Xbox LIVE include highlights from all four days of competition, Best of Ski, Best of Snowboard and Best of Snowmobile.
ESPN3.com is available via dozens of affiliated service providers nationwide, including Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Cox, Charter, Windstream, RCN, Insight, Frontier, Cavalier, Mediacom, Conway, Grande Communications and many more. It is also available to 21 million U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers connected to on-campus educational networks and on-base military networks.
Fans on the go will have instant access and interactive features with their mobile devices this year for Winter X. ESPN Mobile TV will carry 23 hours of live event simulcast coverage, in addition to 4 hours of simulcast coverage of Days One through Four late night highlight shows. The 24/7 mobile sports television network – available on the FLO TV, MobiTV and Sprint TV platforms – will also deliver encore content from Winter X Games 14 Classix and offer text voting opportunities and 24/7 mobile alerts to fans. Other mobile interactivity and features include:
- Mobile Video On Demand – will carry daily highlights, Best of Ski, Best of Snowboard and Best of Snowmobile. Additionally, video highlights will be available for the past Winter X Games 12-14.
- Snowboard Best Method – a new text-to-vote competition where the final will be 100% fan judged and voted on via text messaging. The event will feature the top six snowboarders in the world in a 10-minute jam format for best method, a fundamental trick in snowboarding where each athlete performs their own individual style.
- Winter X Games App – is currently available on Android, iPhone and iPod touch devices. The app features complete venue information, schedules, athlete bios, results, photo galleries and more. It can be downloaded for free by texting GUIDE to 43776 or visiting XGames.com/App.
- ESPN Mobile Web – will be the home for the latest news, results, schedules, video, images and more.
- On-Site Mobile Interactivity – will include a text crawl on the video boards throughout the grounds at WXG15 featuring live fan comments and athlete shout-outs sent via text message. Spectators and fans in attendance will also be able to use their mobile devices to vote for which songs will be played by the venue DJ or to answer trivia to win prizes provided by sponsors.
- Alerts and Updates – available to fans by texting ACTION to 43776 (message and data rates may apply) to opt in to receive customizable event updates for schedules, athlete info, results, venue information, X Fest events and general news. Results alerts will be sent out after every gold medal competition for those that sign up at ESPN.com/Alerts or ESPN.mobi/Alerts.
Beginning Wednesday, Jan. 26 through Sunday, Jan. 30, iTunes will feature a library of multimedia content related to everything X available at iTunes.com/WinterXGames. The page will include:
- Current WXG15 content such as daily and discipline highlights;
- ESPN Films 30 for 30: The Birth of Big Air, Shaun White: Don’t Look Down, Moto X: Evolution of the Trick, and Down the Barrel;
- WXG15 music playlists from the on-air broadcast; and
- The Winter X Games iPhone app.