Turner Sports will provide extensive exclusive television, online and mobile coverage as it presents the 93rd PGA Championship, professional golf’s final major championship of the season, from its own backyard – the Atlanta Athletic Club – from August 11-14. TNT will tee-up 18 hours of exclusive live coverage including six hours each day on Thursday and Friday, August 11-12 (1-7 p.m. ET), as well as early live coverage of the third and fourth rounds on Saturday and Sunday (11a.m. – 2 p.m. ET). PGA.com will offer live coverage through its broadband channels including multiple live video streams, marquee groups and par-3 coverage from PGA Championship LIVE, the debut of a new 360 degree camera, an enhanced video highlight hub and live action updates from PGA.com writers. In addition, PGA.com’s award-winning mobile coverage returns with a free PGA Championship App for iPhone and iPod touch sponsored by Mercedes-Benz. PGA.com’s live player content also will be optimized for the iPad.
Additionally, PGA.com also will get fans involved through various social media touch points including Facebook, Twitter and PGA.com’s The Buzz, the social hub that provides insight into the unique atmosphere of the PGA Championship. Fans can follow the Twitter conversation with the official hashtag #PGAChamp, snap their own instant highlights to share with friends and interact with other golf enthusiasts through The Buzz. TNT talent Ernie Johnson, Ian Baker-Finch, Billy Kratzert and Jim Huber and also will provide an inside look at the PGA Championship through a series of live chats during the tournament.
“The PGA Championship is an event we look forward to each year and Turner Sports is thrilled to provide exclusive live television coverage and interactive digital offerings for the final major championship of the season,” said David Levy president of sales, distribution and sports, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. “Fans will have a fully immersive viewing experience at their fingertips on TNT, PGA.com, mobile phones and tablets that will allow them to enjoy the excitement of the 93rd PGA Championship from anywhere.”
Advertising sponsors for this year’s television coverage include: AT&T, ING, Mercedes-Benz and Southwest Airlines. Mercedes-Benz and Southwest Airlines both will expand on-air brand awareness with an extensive presence on PGA.com, the official site of The PGA of America, notably around the PGA Championship LIVE video player with co-sponsors RBC and Westin® Hotels & Resorts.
Additional highlights throughout the PGA Championship include:
- · Talent: TNT’s announce team features two-time Emmy® award-winning host Ernie Johnson (play-by-play), Ian Baker-Finch (analyst), Billy Kratzert (analyst) and Jim Huber (interviewer/essayist) calling the Championship. This is the 21st consecutive year that Turner Sports will air the PGA Championship and 13th straight year on TNT.
- · Billy’s Course presented by AT&T: In two special features, analyst Billy Kratzert will give fans a glimpse into past monumental moments in PGA history. Using green screen technology, Kratzert will superimpose himself next to golfers as they experience some of the greatest moments in PGA history including: Davis Love III’s 1997 win on the 18th hole at Winged Foot Golf Club, Bob Tway’s miraculous bunker shot to win the 1986 PGA Championship at Inverness Club, as well as legends Walter Hagen and Gene Sarazen as they competed in PGA Championships in the 1920s.
- · Championship Moments presented by ING: Each day during the tournament, TNT will flash back to moments from past PGA Championships including Y.E. Yang’s dramatic win over Tiger Woods in 2009.
- · Golf Trax presented by Southwest Airlines NEW Rapid Rewards: TNT and PGA.com will provide viewers with a virtual tour of holes throughout the tournament. Golf Trax provides an aerial view of a player’s ball direction and a 360 degree view of particular holes at the Atlanta Athletic Club.
- · Drive to The PGA Championship, presented by Mercedes-Benz: TNT will provide viewers insight into what the pros do to prepare for the PGA Championship, while directing them to PGA.com for additional information.
- · TNT Tee Tracker: With this technology, viewers have the ability to monitor the flight of select tee shots live during play.
- · PGA Championship LIVE: PGA.com’s award-winning video player will offer fans an enriched viewing experience through multiple simultaneous live video streams, Marquee Groups and par-3 coverage, as well as several interactive components such as player scorecards, and social media integration for a fully-customized experience.
o Marquee Groups: For the first two rounds, PGA.com will follow threesomes (TBA).PGA.com also will feature two marquee groups during the final two rounds. Will Haskett (play by play), Michael Breed (analyst), Brian Katrek and Craig Sager (reporting) will provide commentary and analysis throughout the weekend during PGA.com’s live coverage.
o PGA.com’s Touchscreen: PGA.com’s live coverage also will employ a touchscreen that will allow analyst, and PGA Professional, Michael Breed to demonstrate and diagram the swing techniques of the players. The touchscreen also will contain a course map that Breed will use to preview strategic holes that the chosen group will be facing as they progress through their round.
- · 360 Degree Camera: For the first time during the PGA Championship, fans will be able to access a 360 degree camera that provides a panoramic look and natural sound of the course. Users can drag the camera right, left, or up and down in a 360 degree circle to see action from various vantage points including the practice range, putting green and other course locations.
- · Live Insider: Through live action updates, PGA.com writers will be able to update fans and answer questions about the exciting action on and around the course.
- · Video Highlight Hub: In the expanded and enhanced video highlight hub, fans can customize their video experience, search and browse by Player, Round, Hole or Memorable Moment to create an on-demand album from the 2011 PGA Championship.
- · PGA Championship App, sponsored by Mercedes-Benz: With this app, fans can follow the action on-and-off the course using their iPhone or iPod touch. The free app features live video, highlights, push alerts for hole-by-hole scoring updates and breaking news. Since the PGA Championship is the first major to allow mobile devices onto the course, the app is offering special alerts for fans at the Atlanta Athletic Club. While at the course, fans will be able to locate a player, receive live action updates, and details about happenings at the club. The PGA Championship App is available from the App Store on iPhone and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore.
- · Mobile Website: Another added feature includes the PGA.com mobile website, which will be enhanced and offer live scoring, locate a player feature, news, highlights and live updates.
- · Optimized for iPad: The official PGA Championship site and PGA Championship LIVE will be optimized for the iPad. The site and video player will take advantage of the iPad’s large, multi-touch display to provide fans a greater viewing experience.
- · The Buzz: As the social media gathering point for the PGA Championship, fans can follow tweets from PGA professionals and #PGAChamp chatter, ask questions through the Live Insider,as well as become a fan of PGA.com on Facebook and Twitter.
- · Live Fan Chats: TNT talent will answer fans’ questions each day through a live chat available on PGA.com.
o Tuesday, Aug. 9, 2:00 p.m. (ET) – Ernie Johnson
o Wednesday, Aug. 10, 11:30 a.m. (ET) – Jim Huber
o Thursday, Aug. 11, 10:30 a.m. (ET) – Ian Baker-Finch
o Friday, Aug. 12, 11:00 a.m. (ET) – Billy Kratzert
- · Snap & Share: While watching the PGA Championship on TNT or PGA.com, fans can snap what they are watching through a feature available via pga.com/snap. After snapping, fans can share their own instant highlights via Facebook and Twitter.
Turner Sports, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., is an industry leader in televised and online sports programming, airing championship level sporting events on TBS, TNT and truTV, and managing some of the most popular sports sites on the Internet. Turner Sports’ television line-up includes the NBA, Major League Baseball, the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, NASCAR and professional golf. The company’s digital portfolio includes SI.com, NASCAR.COM, NCAA.com, PGATOUR.COM, GOLF.com and PGA.com, as well as an accompanying collection of mobile websites and connected device apps. Turner Sports and the NBA also jointly manage NBA Digital, which includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, NBA Mobile, the NBA Game Time App, NBADLEAGUE.com and WNBA.com.
TNT, one of cable’s top-rated networks, is television’s destination for drama. Seen in 100.5 million households, the network is home to such original series as The Closer, starring Emmy® winner Kyra Sedgwick; Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander; Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton; Hawthorne, with Jada Pinkett Smith; Memphis Beat, with Jason Lee; and Southland, from Emmy-winning producer John Wells (ER); as well as the upcoming Falling Skies, starring Noah Wyle, and Franklin & Bash, with Mark-Paul Gosselaar and Breckin Meyer. TNT also presents such powerful dramas as Bones, Supernatural, Las Vegas, Law & Order, CSI: NY, Cold Case and, starting in 2011, The Mentalist; broadcast premiere movies; compelling primetime specials, such as the Screen Actors Guild Awards®; and championship sports coverage, including NASCAR, the NBA and the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship. TNT is available in high-definition.