THE COUNTDOWN HEATS UP AS THE TOP 50 PLAYERS OF 2011 ARE UNVEILED BEGINNING SUNDAY, JUNE 5 AT 8:00 PM ET
10-Part NFL Network Series Counts Down the Top 100 NFL Players of Today as Determined by the Players Themselves
One-Hour ‘The Top 100: Players of 2011 – 100-51 Recap’ Kicks Off Three-Hour Primetime Block at 7:00 PM ET Leading Into Debut of Players 50-41
Halfway Recap & Reaction Shows Feature Guests Antonio Gates, Darren Sharper and Ronde Barber, In Addition to NFL Network Analysts Kurt Warner and Charles Davis
NFL.com/Top100 Provides Complete List of Players Ranked #100-51, Plus Interactive Voting Features and Bonus Video Content
Super Bowl champions Greg Jennings (74), BJ Raji (81), Nick Collins (96) and Chad Clifton (99) are four of the Packers’ league-leading seven players who have been revealed on ‘The Top 100: Players of 2011.’ With the current players ranked 51-100 by their peers now known, the countdown of the top 50 active players gets underway Sunday, June 5 with a three-hour primetime block of Top 100 programming including the reveal of players 50-41 at 8:00 PM ET.
Among the players to be named this Sunday are a Super Bowl-winning quarterback, the leader of an NFC North defensive powerhouse and a player who is arguably the best ever at his position.
Prior to the unveiling of players 50-41, at 7:00 PM ET, The Top 100: Players of 2011 – 100-51 Recap airs, reviewing the first 50 players named in the countdown as well as looking ahead to what names viewers may see in the top 50 and where they should rank. Hosted by Lindsay Soto with analysts Kurt Warner and Charles Davis, the one-hour special also features in-studio guest analysts Chargers TE Antonio Gates, Saints S Darren Sharper and Buccaneers CB Ronde Barber who give their thoughts on the countdown and add a current player perspective to the list.
Produced by NFL Films, The Top 100: Players of 2011 is a new series airing on NFL Network that gives current players the opportunity to vote for the top 100 playmakers today, counting down from 100 to 1. With 10 players featured in each episode, each player on the list is saluted by an individual close to the subject, from a coach to a rival on the field. Some of the presenters viewers can expect to hear from on behalf of the top 50 players ranked are head coaches Mike Tomlin, Rex Ryan and Sean Payton, Browns WR Josh Cribbs, Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald and Jaguars RB Maurice Jones-Drew.
Immediately following each episode at 9:00 PM ET is The Top 100: Players of 2011 – Reactions, a one-hour recap show that takes a closer look at the countdown with analysis and commentary from NFL Network analysts, special guests and fans. Through the use of NFL.com, Facebook and Twitter, viewers can pose questions to NFL Network analysts, participate in online discussions or simply comment on each episode. The Top 100: Players of 2011 – Reactions also features a viewer’s comment ticker that continuously scrolls fan comments posted online throughout the show.
For the June 5 installment of Reactions, Soto, Warner and Davis are joined by Sharper and Barber to debate and discussion players 50-41.
As the online home of The Top 100: Players of 2011, NFL.com/Top100 is the primary avenue for fan engagement and interaction. Through June 3, fans can vote on their top 100 players of today, with the results of the fan rankings corresponding with that episode’s player vote being revealed on The Top 100: Players of 2011 – Reactions.
The first five episodes of The Top 100: Players of 2011 – Reactions has not been short of spirited discussions surrounding the rankings of players including the Packers’ Jennings at the No. 74 spot, putting the league leader in receptions over 40+ yards for the past three seasons as only the 14th best wide out on the countdown.
While Jennings’ place at No. 74 was considered too low, Cowboys QB Tony Romo’s ranking at No. 72 was discussed as being too high on Reactions. With a total of 12 quarterbacks to make the Top 100 cut, Romo at No. 72 makes him the 9th best quarterback in the NFL, as determined by the players. Romo’s ranking bests Donovan McNabb, who opened the countdown at No. 100 and Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning, who was not ranked.
The following are video links to previously aired Top 100 segments:
Top 100: Greg Jennings Reacts – Super Bowl winning WR Greg Jennings reacts to being ranked the 74th best player in the NFL and having 14 other wide receivers ranked higher than him by his peers.
Does Donovan McNabb Belong in Top 100? – Jamie Dukes, Solomon Wilcots and Kurt Warner have some strong feelings on Donovan McNabb being No. 100. Should he be higher? Find out.
Top 100: Jeff Saturday – Peyton Manning presents the 59th best player in the NFL as voted on by the players, Colts C Jeff Saturday
Below are the player rankings (and presenters) which have been revealed to date. For an updated list each week and to see where the fans ranked each player, visit http://top100.nfl.com/
Player Team Presenter
100) Donovan McNabb Redskins Brian Westbrook
99) Chad Clifton Packers Jon Gruden
98) Darren McFadden Raiders Maurice Jones-Drew
97) Shaun Phillips Chargers Kirk Morrison
96) Nick Collins Packers Dom Capers
95) Jon Beason Panthers John Fox
94) Frank Gore 49ers Takeo Spikes
93) Eric Berry Chiefs Todd Haley
92) Lance Briggs Bears Mike Martz
91) Terrell Owens Bengals Brandon Marshall
90) Joe Flacco Ravens John Harbaugh
89) Adrian Wilson Cardinals Ken Whisenhunt
88) Vernon Davis 49ers Takeo Spikes
87) Jordan Gross Panthers John Fox
86) Josh Freeman Buccaneers John Abraham
85) Jason Babin Titans Jim Washburn
84) Josh Cribbs Browns Pat Shurmur
83) Mike Williams Buccaneers Josh Freeman
82) LaMarr Woodley Steelers Damien Woody
81) BJ Raji Packers Shaun O’Hara
80) Jared Allen Vikings Leslie Frazier
79) D’Brickashaw Ferguson Jets Brian Schottenheimer
78) Dallas Clark Colts Jon Gruden
77) Chris Snee Giants Shaun O’Hara
76) Santonio Holmes Jets Rex Ryan
75) Jay Ratliff Cowboys Tom Coughlin
74) Greg Jennings Packers Mike McCarthy
73) Trent Cole Eagles Andy Reid
72) Tony Romo Cowboys Jason Garrett
71) Mario Williams Texans Gary Kubiak
70) Miles Austin Cowboys Jason Garrett
69) John Abraham Falcons Josh Freeman
68) Antrel Rolle Giants Calais Campbell
67) Brian Waters Chiefs Takeo Spikes
66) Richard Seymour Raiders Romeo Crennel
65) Vonta Leach Texans Kirk Morrison
64) Tamba Hali Chiefs Osi Umenyiora
63) Cameron Wake Dolphins Tony Sparano
62) Jerod Mayo Patriots Bill Belichick
61) Brandon Marshall Dolphins Jon Gruden
60) Justin Tuck Giants Steve Spagnuolo
59) Jeff Saturday Colts Peyton Manning
58) Brandon Lloyd Broncos Brian Dawkins
57) Andre Gurode Cowboys Tony Sparano
56) Ray Rice Ravens Maurice Jones-Drew
55) Carl Nicks Saints Jonathan Vilma
54) Asante Samuel Eagles Juan Castillo
53) Marques Colston Saints Jon Gruden
52) Matt Ryan Falcons Jerry Glanville
51) Ndamukong Suh Lions Mike Tice
The Top 100: Players of 2011 Episode Schedule
*‘The Top 100: Players of 2011 – Reactions’ immediately follows each episode at 9:00 PM ET*
Episode #6 Sunday, June 5
The Top 100: Players of 2011 – 100-51 Recap 7:00 PM ET
(50-41) 8:00 PM ET
9:00 PM ET – Reactions
Episode #7 Sunday, June 12 8:00 PM ET
(40-31) 9:00 PM ET – Reactions
Episode #8 Sunday, June 19 8:00 PM ET
(30-21) 9:00 PM ET – Reactions
Episode #9 Sunday, June 26 8:00 PM ET
(20-11) 9:00 PM ET – Reactions
Episode #10 Sunday, July 3 4-Hour Series Finale
Finale Preview 7:00 PM ET
Players 10-6 revealed 8:00 PM ET
Players 5-1 revealed 9:00 PM ET
Reactions 10:00 PM ET
– NFL MEDIA –