Telecast Features Thurman vs. Collazo, Harrison vs. Nelson
Cherry vs. Cruz Undercard Matchup on ESPN3
Live Coverage of Press Conference on ESPN3
Live Coverage of Weigh-in on ESPN3 and SportsCenter
The new Premier Boxing Champions on ESPN (PBC on ESPN) presented by Corona Extra series debuts with a star-studded 12-round welterweight matchup – undefeated Keith “One Time” Thurman (25-0, 21 KOs) vs. Luis Collazo (36-6, 19 KOs) – live on ESPN on Saturday, July 11, at 9 p.m. ET from the USF Sun Dome in Tampa, Fla. The opening fight will showcase a 10-round junior middleweight matchup between undefeated Tony Harrison (21-0, 18 KOs) and Willie Nelson (23-2-1, 13 KOs). ESPN Deportes will also televise the fight live as part of its Noche de Combates series and ESPN International will present live coverage across its networks in Latin America, Brazil, the Caribbean and Pacific Rim. Live coverage will also be available through WatchESPN.
Host Marysol Castro, blow-by-blow commentator Joe Tessitore, analyst Teddy Atlas and reporters Todd Grisham and Bernardo Osuna comprise ESPN’s commentary team. In addition, Hall of Fame boxing writer and ESPN boxing contributor Nigel Collins will provide social media content, insight and analysis. Pablo Viruega and Delvin Rodríguez will call the fights on ESPN Deportes, while Leopoldo González and Claudia Trejos will co-host the show.
ESPN will utilize 11 cameras to shoot fight action — nearly double the number used on Friday Night Fights — and a 360-degree “Round-A-Bout” camera system above the ring comprised of 32 cameras, which will allow viewers to see every punch and hit from all angles.
Saturday’s ESPN telecast will include a special Thurman video feature. Atlas recently sat with Thurman to discuss his career and more. Saturday’s show will also include a first-person feature on Harrison.
Atlas’ Fight Plan:
Atlas will demonstrate what each fighter needs to do to win in his “Fight Plan.”
Thurman, who hails from nearby Clearwater, Fla., is widely regarded as the heir apparent in the division to Floyd Mayweather. He is coming off a unanimous decision win against welterweight contender Robert Guerrero, while former welterweight titlist Collazo, the southpaw from Brooklyn, N.Y., is looking to score another victory following a second-round TKO win over Christopher Degollado. Harrison, fighting out of Detroit, scored a third-round TKO win over Pablo Munguia in his last fight, while Cleveland’s Nelson is looking to rebound from a unanimous decision loss to Vanes Martirosyan.
- Live coverage of Thursday’s press conference (1 p.m.) and Friday’s weigh-in (approx. 5:15 p.m.), with Tessitore and Atlas providing commentary during the weigh-in;
- The 10-round lightweight undercard matchup between Edner Cherry (33-6-2, 18 KOs) and Luis Cruz (21-3, 16 KOs) will be carried live on Saturday at approx. 7:10 p.m.
- Extensive pre- and post-fight coverage of the fights including coverage of the press conference, live coverage of the weigh-in (5:15 p.m.), and multiple pieces featuring all four main event fighters.
- Comprehensive coverage, including pre- and post-fight features, videos and blogs from ESPN’s Dan Rafael, Brian Campbell, and Nigel Collins;
- Live ESPN3 coverage of Thursday’s press conference and Friday’s weigh-in and Saturday’s Cherry vs. Cruz undercard bout.Upcoming PBC on ESPN Schedule:
|Date||Time (ET)||Featured Bouts||Location||Networks|
|Sat, July 11||9 p.m.||Keith Thurman (25-0, 21 KOs) vs. Luis Collazo (36-6, 19 KOs)—12 rounds, Welterweight Tony Harrison (21-0, 18 KOs) vs. Willie Nelson (23-2-1, 13 KOs)—10 rounds, Junior Middleweight||USF Sun Dome,
|ESPN, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN|
|Sat, Aug. 1||9 p.m.||Danny Garcia (30-0, 17 KOs) vs. Paulie Malignaggi (33-6, 7 KOs)—12 rounds, Welterweight Daniel Jacobs (29-1, 26 KOs) vs. Sergio Mora (28-3-2, 9 KOs)—12 rounds, Middleweight
|Barclays Center, Brooklyn, N.Y.||ESPN, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN|
— 30 —