Peyton Manning on Running an NFL Team: “It is not a one foot, dip-your-toes in the water kind of job. It is all-in, all-encompassing.”
Aaron Rodgers, Steph Curry, Charles Barkley and David Wells Join Chris Simms Unbuttoned Podcast
2013 Indianapolis 500 Winner Tony Kanaan Joins New Episode of Letarte on Location
STAMFORD, Conn. – July 17, 2019 – Peyton Manning joins The Peter King Podcast in its debut episode as part of the NBC Sports Group to discuss his post-playing career and the NFL’s upcoming 100th season. King will release new episodes every Wednesday on NBCSports.com/podcasts and all other major podcast platforms.
In addition, Chris Simms travels to Lake Tahoe for the American Century Championship celebrity golf tournament on the Chris Simms Unbuttoned podcast and chats with All-Pro quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who Simms ranked as his number one quarterback in the NFL earlier this summer as a part of his Top 40 QB Countdown, as well as six-time NBA All-Star Steph Curry, Hall of Famer Charles Barkley, and former MLB All-Star David Wells.
PODCAST HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE PETER KING PODCAST:
Manning on his upcoming show focused on the NFL’s 100th season: “This has been a journey for me. I’ve learned a lot about 100 years of football. I thought I knew a lot. There’s been a ton that I did not know. It has been fascinating…We tried to pick different places and tell as many stories about those places as we could and definitely try to capture way back in time as well as some current players and places today.”
On if he’s had the opportunity to run an NFL team: “I’ve had talks with a few teams. It never got into any type of negotiation, if you will. I think a couple teams have expressed interest and had conversations to kind of see. I’ve given them that same answer. I’ve listened…It is not a one foot, dip-your-toes in the water kind of job. It is all-in, all-encompassing. I guess because I have that respect for the job and what it is and what it takes, that that’s why I’ve passed at this point. At some point, maybe I am ready to say, ‘Hey I’m all in.’ But I’m just not there yet.”
On Patrick Mahomes: “Some of the throws that he’s making, I don’t know that anybody has seen before…I think the ability to sprint left, throw back right. He’s got a little bit of John Elway in him…I like the fact that Mahomes is going to be coached, that he takes coaching and that he plays in a disciplined system and at the same time he can make a lot of plays on his own. He’s just fun and entertaining to watch. I like his spirit and love and passion for the game that shows up when you watch him play.”
On his post-playing career: “I do not use the ‘R’ word (retired). The one question if you really want to annoy me is, “How’s retirement?” I’m not sitting on my couch and I’m not sleeping in in the afternoons. I like my kids seeing me up, going to work, whatever it is I’m doing. I have a version of work – I still try to stay in shape and work out. So I’m trying to enjoy it at the same time.”
NBC Sports additionally presents eight new podcast episodes this week featuring special guests and athletes, including 2013 Indianapolis 500 winner Tony Kanaan, Chicago White Sox first baseman A.J. Reed, and more.
New episodes will be available for download on all major podcast platforms including: NBCSports.com/podcasts, NBC Sports’ Scores app, Apple, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Podcasts, TuneIn and iHeart.
- The Peter King Podcast: The Peter King Podcast is the ultimate destination for all things pro football. Led by one of the most influential storytellers in all of sports media, three-time American Sportswriter of the Year Peter King delivers an access-driven experience that brings fans into the locker room, the press box and the front office with the biggest influencers in professional football.
- On this week’s episode: In the debut episode of the podcast on NBC Sports platforms, King talks with former NFL quarterback Peyton Manning to discuss his post-playing career and his new 30-episode series, ‘Peyton’s Place,’ which dives into the history of professional football in the leadup to the NFL’s 100th
- When: Wednesday, July 17
- Chris Simms Unbuttoned: NBC Sports’ Chris Simms examines everything happening in the NFL and around the sports world. Joined by a rotation of NBC Sports hosts Ahmed Fareed, Paul Burmeister and Liam McHugh, Unbuttoned features in-depth Xs and Os analysis; one-on-one interviews with players, coaches, executives, and draft prospects; game recaps and previews; gambling segments; extensive player analysis leading into the NFL Draft; and much more.
- On this week’s episodes: Simms travels to Lake Tahoe for the American Century Championship, an annual golf tournament featuring celebrities and athletes. On Wednesday’s episode, Simms conducts a one-on-one interview with Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and on Thursday, Simms chats with six-time NBA All-Star Steph Curry and Hall of Famer Charles Barkley, along with former MLB pitcher David Wells.
- When: Wednesday, July 27 & Thursday, July 18
- Rotoworld Football: From fantasy implications to NFL draft analysis to major events, the Rotoworld Football staff has the NFL landscape covered. Listen as Josh Norris, Evan Silva, Roto Pat, Rich Hribar and Ray Summerlin give their analysis and opinions on everything happening in the NFL.
- On this week’s episode: Norris and Summerlin discuss this week’s NFL news, focusing on the running back contracts around the NFL with Ezekiel Elliott and the possibility of Melvin Gordon threatening to hold out, how an 18-game schedule could work, and draft strategies.
- When: Wednesday, July 17
- Redskins Talk: The Redskins Talk podcast is anchored by NBC Sports Washington’s Redskins Insider JP Finlay and highlights all members of our Redskins coverage team including Mitch Tischler and Pete Hailey along with plenty of others. Finlay will also reach out to a host of outside influencers both in the D.C. media and the national landscape. With a strong set of personal relationships built on years at Redskins Park, Finlay brings a fresh and engaging style to interviews with players, coaches and ‘Skins alumni for the podcast.
- On this week’s episode: Finlay and Hailey sit down with Darin Gantt of Pro Football Talk to discuss his national view of the Redskins, why Jay Gruden is a “really good coach”, and some inside information on Cam Newton’s health. Then, they discuss the areas the Redskins should address in the 2020 draft, highlighting a particularly strong wide receiver class.
- When: Wednesday, July 17
- Letarte on Location: When you’ve spent more than 20 years of your life on the road as a NASCAR crew chief and NBC analyst, you’re bound to meet some interesting characters along the way. Letarte on Location brings you closer to all kinds of personalities that Steve Letarte has connected with throughout the years traveling the circuit.
- On this week’s episode: Letarte is on location from the Foyt Wine Vault in the shadow of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and is joined by veteran NTT IndyCar Series driver Tony Kanaan. The 44-year old Brazilian captured the IndyCar Series championship in 2004 and won the 2013 edition of the Indianapolis 500. The 22-year IndyCar veteran talks about his journey from his early days in the sport to his current role, driving for the legendary A.J. Foyt.
- When: Wednesday, July 17
- White Sox Talk: Hosted by NBC Sports Chicago’s trio of White Sox experts Chuck Garfien, Ryan McGuffey, and Chris Kamka, the White Sox Talk podcast provides fans with in-depth White Sox discussion on the hottest topics and latest breaking news all year long. In addition, fans can look forward to exclusive one-on-one interviews with White Sox players, coaches, front office execs, along with MLB media insiders from coast-to-coast.
- On this week’s episode: This week’s episode of the “White Sox Talk presented by Wintrust” podcast features an interview with new White Sox slugger A.J. Reed. He shares why he feels relieved and reborn in his new opportunity on the southside, what’s prevented him from being the major league player he wants to be, why the Astros gave up on him, and much more.
- When: Monday, July 15
- Cubs Talk: Hosted by NBC Sports Chicago’s Luke Stuckmeyer, featuring Cubs digital reporter/producer Tony Andracki, and special appearances by David Kaplan and Kelly Crull, the Cubs Talk podcast provides die-hard Cubs fans with detailed discussion on the hottest topics and latest breaking Cubs news throughout the year. In addition, fans can look forward to exclusive one-on-one interviews with Cubs players, coaches, front office execs, along with MLB media insiders from coast-to-coast.
- On this week’s episode: This week’s editions of the “Cubs Talk presented by Wintrust” podcast includes reactions to the trade of reliever Mike Montgomery to the Royals for catcher Martin Maldonado. In addition, the crew will recap this week’s home series against the division rival Reds, along with previewing this weekend’s homestand against the Padres.
- When: Tuesday, July 16, Wednesday, July 17, & Friday, July 19
- Rotoworld Baseball: Rotoworld’s J. Short, Drew Silva, and Matt Stroup detail everything happening in fantasy baseball and what’s happening in MLB.
- On this week’s episode: Stroup is joined by George Bissell to consider some recent waiver wire options, including a surging Mallex Smith, a hot-hitting Keston Hiura, and Rays Prospect Nate Lowe. Then, they discuss whether Andrew Cashner is worth the risk on the Red Sox, what to expect from Daniel Ponce de Leon, and the outlook for Padres reliever Andres Munoz.
- When: Tuesday, July 16 and Thursday, July 18
– NBC SPORTS –