King Visits Seattle Seahawks & Philadelphia Eagles on Preseason Trail
“There’s new juice about everything that we’re doing.” – Carroll on Seattle’s Rebuild
“Football Morning in America” Runs Every Monday Exclusively on NBCSports.com
STAMFORD, Conn. – August 27, 2018 – Peter King’s final training camp tour edition of “Football Morning in America” on NBCSports.com includes a visit to Seahawks-Vikings from Minneapolis, Minn., where Seattle head coach Pete Carroll discussed a roster rebuild that could make the franchise a surprise contender. This week’s column also features an interview with Eagles head coach Doug Pederson on QB Carson Wentz’s status for Week 1, a few personal stories on the late John McCain and this week’s edition of “What I Learned” with Mark Leibovich, author of “Big Game: The NFL in Dangerous Times”.
The following are highlights from this week’s edition of “Football Morning in America”:
- Carroll on the roster rebuild: “This feels like when you’re in college. That senior class graduated—those guys that did all the playing for you. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t have a good team next time around. New players, new coaches. There’s new juice about everything that we’re doing. I go back and do all my teaching again. I’m really happy about it.”
- Seahawks LB Bobby Wagner added: “You know, there was one point when nobody knew who Sherm was. Nobody knew who Mike Bennett was. They were able to come out and create names for themselves. The guys behind them can do that. I feel like we’re in great hands.”
- Seahawks GM John Schneider on completing a roster makeover: “I mean, this is what the league is now. We move guys all the time. For a while, we were able to reward guys here at the top of their positions. Then we had to make decisions—who to keep and who not to keep—and we got the bad injury news on Cliff Avril and Kam Chancellor [forced to retire due to injuries]. We didn’t see those coming.”
- Pederson on Wentz’s status for Week 1: “We’ll find out. Stay tuned, as they say in the business. As I’ve said, it’s going to be a medical decision. We are going to do the right thing for the team, and for Carson.”
- Leibovich on “What I Learned”: “I learned that the Patriots’ shaky alignment at the top—Robert Kraft, Bill Belichick, Tom Brady—could come apart. That seemed pretty evident during and after last season. It seems really close to coming apart to me.”
Read the rest of the column here.
A new “Football Morning in America” will post every Monday morning exclusively on NBCSports.com. It was announced in May that King signed an exclusive agreement with NBC Sports Group that included writing a weekly Monday morning NFL column for NBCSports.com; making regular appearances on NBCSN’s and NBC Sports Radio’s PFT Live with Mike Florio; and continuing to contribute to Football Night in America, the most-watched studio show in sports.