Unique Visitors and Video Starts Earn New Bests
April Most-Trafficked Month for NHL.com
NEW YORK (April 26, 2010) – NHL.com yesterday set a single-day high-water mark for both unique visitors and video starts as fans flocked to the site Sunday to get all the details on two exciting overtime games Saturday (Pittsburgh-Ottawa & Nashville-Chicago), and to preview/review a pair of Sunday games (Detroit-Phoenix & Vancouver-Los Angeles). With five days still remaining in April, Sunday’s record-breaking totals added to the most-trafficked month in the site’s history. Overall through the first 12 days of the playoffs, unique visitors to NHL.com have increased by 33 percent, video starts by 141 percent and mobile page views by 167 percent.
“By continuing to break records at NHL.com and with all of our digital products, we are demonstrating that NHL fans are more tech savvy and educated than fans of the other major sports,” said NHL COO John Collins. “And by creating a deeper lineup of programming, we have been able to engage more people across more platforms and deliver impressive results to our advertisers.”
The positive news for the League’s digital platforms was matched by ratings increases for the NHL’s U.S. national broadcast partner NBC. Both weekend games on NBC earned a 1.3 overnight rating with Saturday’s Chicago-Nashville game up eight percent over last year (Pittsburgh-Philadelphia, 1.2) and Sunday’s Phoenix-Detroit matchup up 30 percent over 2009 (Washington-NY Rangers, 1.0). Through two weekends (four games) of the NHL Stanley Cup Quarterfinal Playoffs on NBC, overnight ratings are up eight percent (1.3 vs. 1.2) over the first four games of 2009.
Through the first 12 days of the NHL postseason, the League has experienced gains in all areas of the business: in-arena, on television (for all of its partners) and via its digital platforms. This continued growth highlights the NHL’s business momentum, further validating the NHL’s strategy of engaging its fans through the creation of an ever-expanding hockey marketplace with multiple touch points.
BUSINESS SUCCESS IN 2009-10
· Corporate sponsorship was up 20 percent
· New League partners this season include Geico, Starwood Hotels, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, LG Electronics and Hershey’s Canada
· Ad spending on NHL® media increased by 37 percent over last season
· NHL.com ad revenue is up 50 percent over last year
· Revenue from big event platforms, led by the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic®, are up 22 percent over last season
· Unique visitors to NHL.com surpassed last year’s record by 32 percent
· NHL Game Center Live™ subscriptions were up 25 percent
· NHL Network subscribers have increased by 104 percent
· Sales at SHOP.NHL.com were up 12 percent from last year’s record
· Viewership for NBC’s Game of the Week telecasts were up 13 percent
· Ratings for exclusive telecasts on Versus were up 20 percent
· NHL Mobile™ reached 1.6 million page views, an increase of 233 percent over last season