NEWLY REDESIGNED MLB FAN CAVE UNVEILED, WITH CUTTING EDGE
TECHNOLOGY AND DESIGN FEATURES INCLUDING 45 SONY TVS,
STADIUM LIGHTING AND A TEN-FOOT TUBE SLIDE
New MLBFanCave.com Concert Series to Launch in April with Performances By
The Fray, Daughtry, Far East Movement and Aaron Lewis
MLB All-Stars Josh Johnson, Joe Mauer, Dan Uggla and Justin Verlander to Visit in April
Major League Baseball today opened the doors to the newly redesigned MLB Fan Cave, which will host a series of fan events, concerts, MLB player and celebrity appearances, and nine die-hard baseball fans who will be in the running to watch every game of the 2012 MLB season.
With new features such as a ten-foot tube slide, a Dirt Bar where fans can get authentic dirt from MLB ballparks and a larger wall of big screen Sony televisions, the MLB Fan Cave has a new look both inside and out. The Fan Cave’s exterior windows will be wrapped in a giant translucent image of fans in a ballpark visible from across the street while still allowing fans to see inside when close to the windows. Lit by a bank of 125 custom stadium lighting fixtures, the light emanating from the Fan Cave will be unmistakable and visible to fans from blocks away.
Major League Baseball will launch the MLBFanCave.com Concert Series that will feature performances throughout the season by popular recording artists. The April Concert Series lineup includes:
- Aaron Lewis (“It’s Been A While”, “Outside”, “Country Boy”, “Endless Summer”) – April 4, 5pm
- Far East Movement (“Like A G6” and “Rocketeer”) – April 4, 8pm
- The Fray (“How to Save a Life”, “You Found Me” and “Over My Head”) – April 13, 1pm
- Daughtry (“It’s Not Over”, “Home” and “What About Now?”) – April 26, 6pm
The MLBFanCave.com Concert Series will continue a long tradition of music at the Fan Cave’s location, which is the former home of the iconic Tower Records on 4th Street & Broadway in New York City’s Greenwich Village area. These four performances and others throughout the year will be free and open to fans, with highlights appearing on MLBFanCave.com. More information on how fans can attend these and other concerts will be available on the MLB Fan Cave’s Twitter and Facebook channels.
The MLB Fan Cave will host a continuous series of player appearances throughout the season. MLB All-Stars scheduled to appear in April include Josh Johnson, Joe Mauer, Dan Uggla and Justin Verlander. When they visit the Fan Cave, players will appear in a video web series that will showcase their personalities and interests in an entertaining way. P3 ENTERTAINMENT, a New York City-based production company specializing in high-end digital and broadcast production, will direct and produce the series that will be available to fans through social media channels and on MLBFanCave.com.
Last month, MLB revealed the nine “Cave Dwellers” – Ashley Chavez, Benjamin Christensen, Lindsay Guentzel, Shaun Kippins, Gordon Mack, Ricardo Marquez, Ricky Mast, Eddie Mata and Kyle Thompson – who will begin the season in the Fan Cave, watch every single MLB game each day, and chronicle their experiences via social media (bios here). Throughout the season, Cave Dwellers will be eliminated until a winner is crowned by the end of the 2012 World Series.
“The inaugural MLB Fan Cave presented baseball and its players in a creative and relevant way making the project extraordinarily popular among fans, especially younger ones,” said Tim Brosnan, MLB Executive Vice President, Business. “The new design of the Fan Cave, coupled with increased interest among players and entertainers and more Cave Dwellers, allows us to add some new elements while keeping the same approach that was so popular last year. The MLB Fan Cave will grow dramatically in year two, entertaining both avid and casual fans through social media in a unique fashion.”
MLB teamed with environment and installation designer Mike Brown and his team at Lot71 to remodel the exterior and top two floors of the MLB Fan Cave. MLB also worked with Lillian August, the interior design and home furnishings company, and one of their Senior Designers Angela Camarda, to redesign the downstairs VIP Lounge at the Fan Cave, featuring a sleek and posh new design including modern furniture, special lighting, multiple exclusive areas, a DJ booth and a 15-foot “Budweiser Bottoms-Up Bar” featuring the new Budweiser “bottoms-up” beer dispenser.
Highlights of the new MLB Fan Cave design include (click here for a photo gallery):
- A ten-foot tall orange tube slide.
- 45 Sony HD TVs across more than a dozen locations, totalling more than 2,100 inches of screen space.
- A “Dirt Bar,” where fans can get authentic dirt from all 30 ballparks.
- A new State Farm Rooftop on the second floor, where visitors will be able to Go To Bat for charity by participating in a virtual “Home Run Derby” on the latest MLB-licensed video games.
- A redesigned Pepsi Porch area, evocative of similar spaces at multiple ballparks, along with a tribute to the stars of Pepsi’s popular “Field of Dreams” promotion.
- A game area featuring a custom MLB Fan Cave billiards table from Imperial International, shuffleboard, an 11×3’ race track, 28 Etch A Sketches wall-mounted with velcro and a magnetic oversized Scrabble board.
- A new digital scoreboard to keep track of games watched and games remaining in the MLB season, projected on a pair of 60-inch TVs facing out onto Broadway.
- A digital photo booth featuring a 65-inch TV connected to a laptop with software allowing visitors to take, enhance and print photos of themselves on the spot.
- A pair of framed speaker art pieces that are able to connect to any mobile device via bluetooth and play music projected throughout the Fan Cave.
- Exclusive furniture pieces from Resource Furniture, including a large sectional couch shipped from Italy for the main set area.
- A signature wall for players and celebrity visitors featuring 1,300 baseball skins from Rawlings.
- As an homage to the former tenant of the space, an original Tower Records sign that previously hung in the location for decades.
- A gallery of art by Jason Borbay and Dan Fenelon, featuring QR codes on each piece that link to more information on the art and artists.
- An in-house PA system for announcing visitors, along with a front atrium graced with a chandelier made from oversized loudspeakers.
- A panel of four 32” TVs that will serve as a live social media station, updating regularly with the latest content from the MLB Fan Cave Facebook and Twitter feeds.
- An 11-foot neon ballpark structure suspended 10 feet off the ground near the front entrance.
- A graffiti wall painted by local artist Matt “Slim” Campbell.
The MLB Fan Cave will also be the remote studio home for a number of national television and radio shows throughout the season. For Opening Week, ESPN’s popular national show Mike & Mike in the Morning (starring Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic, 6-10am ET) will conduct its show live from the Fan Cave on April 4 & 5, the mornings of Opening Night and Opening Day, respectively. Also on April 5, MLB Network’s Intentional Talk (starring Chris Rose and Kevin Millar, 5-6pm ET) will shoot its show live from the Cave. Throughout the season, the MLB Fan Cave and the Cave Dwellers will contribute via social media and make weekly appearances on the MLB Player Poll, a new show by MLB Productions airing Saturdays during the regular season on FOX.
Supported by MLB Advanced Media, the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball and industry standard bearer for technology in digital media, the Cave Dwellers will participate in season-long contests through MLB.com’s original programming and interactive games, where they will join millions of baseball fans playing fantasy baseball games such as Beat the Streak presented by Scotts and its $5.6 million grand prize.
Awarded “Best Use of Social Media for Sports” at last week’s 4th Annual Shorty Awards, the MLB Fan Cave generated more than 300 million social media impressions since its inception. Fans can follow all of the activity at MLBFanCave.com, on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/
This week, Scotts will “roll out the green carpet” at the Fan Cave as part of its “Take the Field” Opening Week promotion. The MLB Fan Cave features products and services provided by nearly 50 companies, led by Pepsi, MLB Authentic Collection licensees New Era and Majestic, State Farm, Budweiser, Scotts, Sony and Samsung.
# # #