30 NBCUniversal Personalities Including Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani & John Legend Celebrate 100 Years of the NFL
Consumer Engagement Promotion and Editorial to Air Across NBCUniversal Properties Including TODAY, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Nightly News with Lester Holt, Access, America’s Got Talent, and Titulares Y Mas
New Sunday Night Football Bus on Location for NFL Kickoff Week in Chicago
STAMFORD, Conn. – September 4, 2019 – With the NFL’s 100th season set to kick off tomorrow, Thursday, September 5, NBCUniversal is celebrating NBC Sports’ coverage of NFL Kickoff 2019 with unmatched participation by its sports, news, entertainment and theme park assets, as the Chicago Bears host the Green Bay Packers in an NFC North showdown at 8:20 p.m. ET on NBC.
Known for making big events bigger, NBCUniversal will utilize 30 personalities across its portfolio of programing, including Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani, John Legend, Mario Lopez, Dylan Dreyer, and Jim Cramer to celebrate the NFL’s historic 100th season by sharing their favorite football memories all week long.
In addition, NBCUniversal programs ranging from TODAY, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, Nightly News with Lester Holt, Access, and America’s Got Talent will cover NFL Kickoff 2019 and the return of Sunday Night Football with football-related content this week.
Betty White also hypes NFL Kickoff 2019 in a new promotional video airing across NBCUniversal networks throughout the week and Brett Favre returns to the parking lot of Soldier Field with Bill Swerski’s Superfans from Saturday Night Live to discuss the history of the Packers and Da Bears rivalry throughout the years. The full video is available here.
NBC Sports’ Sunday Night Football bus returns this season to travel the country, beginning in Chicago for NFL Kickoff 2019, and visiting the host cities of each Sunday Night Football game (photo attached and above). The SNF bus will be open for the NFL Experience in Grant Park starting tomorrow at Noon CT until kickoff. The bus will once again give fans the opportunity to interact with America’s most-watched primetime television show with exclusive activities and experiences. For the first time ever, fans will be able to record content on the bus to share directly to their social platforms, with new experiences including augmented reality mirrors in the locker room, a green screen booth to replicate the iconic player intros in the SNF broadcast, and a brand new On Her Turf photo experience celebrating the power of every football fan.
NBC Sports kicks off its coverage of the 2019 NFL season tomorrow night when the four-time Pro Bowler Khalil Mack and the Bears host two-time NFL MVP Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers. Coverage on NBC begins with a special edition of Football Night in America – the most-watched weekly studio show in sports – at 7:30 p.m. ET, followed by kickoff at 8:20 p.m. ET.
Three days later, NBC Sports opens its 14th season of Sunday Night Football – America’s No. 1 primetime television show for a record eight consecutive years – when Super Bowl LIII MVP Tom Brady and the New England Patriots begin their title defense against Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers in the first-ever matchup between two franchises with six Super Bowl titles. Coverage begins with Football Night in America at 7 p.m. ET on NBC. Steelers-Patriots kicks off at 8:20 p.m. ET.
Below is a summary of the NBCU properties that are supporting NFL Kickoff 2019:
- TODAY: TODAY will bring back the segment “TODAY Food Loves Football.” It will feature chefs from Chicago and Wisconsin as they create and share some of the most famous foods in their regions. In addition, TODAY will be sending Dylan Dreyer to Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park to capture the excitement around 2019 Kickoff. Dreyer will be joined by Ron Mott for an NFL season preview and Mike Tirico for an inside look at the upcoming season.
- Nightly News with Lester Holt: Lester Holt joins the NFL Kickoff 2019 celebration to share the latest news updates with fans across the country.
- CNBC: Mad Money will feature a NFL-themed segment on tonight’s episode. In addition, Al Michaels joined Fast Money Halftime Report today and Mike Tirico will join tomorrow’s episode of Power Lunch.
- The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon kicks off football season with a special five-Sunday run of post-Sunday Night Football telecasts, beginning this Sunday, Sept. 8, after the Steelers vs. Patriots game on NBC. The other four Tonight Show Sunday telecasts are Oct. 6, 20, 27 and Dec. 1. In addition, tonight’s episode will feature NFL Kickoff 2019 content and promotion.
- Access: Tomorrow night’s episode of Access provides a behind-the-scenes look from the 2019 Sunday Night Football show open starring Carrie Underwood. Additionally, Access prevents red carpet clips of several celebrities discussing their favorite football moments.
- America’s Got Talent: Tonight’s results show will feature NFL Kickoff 2019 content, as AGT and AGT Champions finalist and former Philadelphia Eagles long snapper Jon Dorenbos visits the L.A. Rams and impresses the players with magic tricks on the field.
- America Ninja Warrior: On this past Monday’s episode of America Ninja Warrior, hosts Akbar Gbajabiamila and Matt Iseman sported Packers and Bears uniforms to help drive excitement around tomorrow’s NFL Kickoff 2019.
- Telemundo: Tonight on Telemundo, Titulares Y Mas features a segment on NFL Kickoff 2019 and Exalton Estados Unidos debuts a special episode with contestants competing in an NFL inspired obstacle course. In addition, Telemundo Chicago will cover the SNF kickoff event in Chicago tomorrow, September 5.
- E!: E! News is behind-the-scenes with Carrie Underwood as she rocks out with Joan Jett for the new 2019 Sunday Night Football anthem, promoting NFL Kickoff 2019 and the upcoming season.
- PFT Live: Beginning today through Friday, Mike Florio will be on-site in Chicago to bring fans the latest NFL news and interviews with players and coaches with co-host Chris Simms on PFT Live on NBCSN at 7 a.m. ET.
- Golf Channel: On Thursday, Morning Drive hosts will wear jerseys on an NFL-themed set that will preview NFL Kickoff 2019 and the premiere of Sunday Night Football. In addition, GOLFNow presents several course deals in local Green Bay and Chicago markets.
- NBC Sports Chicago: Bears fans can look forward to extensive local coverage of this year’s NFL Kickoff game featuring all-day multi-platform coverage on NBCSportsChicago.com and the “MyTeams by NBC Sports” app. Game night coverage gets underway at 5 p.m. CT with special remote editions of SportsTalk Live and Primetime Preshow taking place in Chicago’s Grant Park as part of the 2019 NFL Kickoff Experience. In addition, NBC Sports Chicago will also carry the season premiere of Football Aftershow immediately following the Bears-Packers game featuring host Laurence Holmes and analysts/former Bears standouts Lance Briggs, Alex Brown, Matt Forte and Olin Kreutz.
- NBC5: NBC5’s comprehensive Chicago Bears programming will include unparalleled coverage throughout the entire day on Thursday, from the NFL Kickoff celebration in Grant Park to Soldier Field, and featuring interviews with NBC’s SNF broadcast team.
- NBC Sports Radio: NBC Sports Radio, produced and distributed by Westwood One in partnership with NBC Sports Group, is carried by more than 300 affiliates nationwide. Programming is available on radio stations throughout the United States, as well as on NBCSportsRadio.com, NBCSports.com, the NBC Sports Scores app, and on the websites of affiliates. Content includes hourly sports news updates, daily features, and is highlighted by PFT Live, featuring NFL insider and Football Night In America commentator Mike Florio daily from 6-9 a.m. ET; the PFT PM podcast hosted by Florio, which takes a look back at the day that was in the NFL; Safety Blitz with Rodney Harrison and Dan Schwartzman; featuring three-time All Pro and two-time Super Bowl-winner Rodney Harrison; and The Daily Line, NBC Sports Radio’s daily sports talk and betting show that airs M-F 3-7 p.m. ET and features special guests and content for casual and avid sports fans.
- NFL Kickoff Digital and Social Roadblocks: All day Thursday, NBC Sports will have NFL Kickoff branding on more than 20 websites of networks/brands across NBCU, including nbcsports.com, golfchannel.com, today.com, nbcnews.com, and more. Additionally, at 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, NBCU shows and brands with Twitter accounts will participate in a social roadblock promoting to the game.
- Universal Orlando Resort: Team members at NBC Sports Grill & Brew at Universal CityWalk will wear custom “SNF Jersey T-Shirts” all-season long to help promote the return of SNF.