Cris Collinsworth, Bob Costas, Mike Emrick, Michele Tafoya and Andres Cantor Honored
Two Sports Emmys for Telemundo in First Year of Spanish-Language Categories
STAMFORD, Conn. – May 6, 2014 – NBCUniversal and NBC Sports Group won 10 Sports Emmy Awards — for the fourth consecutive year the most of any sports media company — for excellence in sports television production on NBCUniversal media properties. The awards were presented tonight by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at Frederick P. Rose Hall, Home of Jazz at Lincoln Center.
Sunday Night Football, primetime television’s No. 1 show, won its sixth consecutive award for Outstanding Live Sports Series; Cris Collinsworth, Bob Costas, Mike “Doc” Emrick, Michele Tafoya, and Andres Cantor were all honored in their respective categories; and Telemundo earned a pair of Emmys in the first-ever Spanish-language categories at the 35th Annual Sports Emmy Awards.
MARK LAZARUS, NBC SPORTS GROUP CHAIRMAN: “We appreciate that the industry has again recognized our production and on-air personalities. Tonight’s results speak to the quality of the work NBC Sports Group produces on a daily basis. We want to extend our congratulations to all of tonight’s winners and nominees.”
NBC Sports’ NFL coverage was honored with a total of five Emmy Awards in the following categories:
- Outstanding Live Sports Series – Sunday Night Football;
- Outstanding Sports Personality – Sports Event Analyst, Cris Collinsworth
- Outstanding Sports Personality – Studio Host, Bob Costas
- Outstanding Sports Personality – Sports Reporter, Michele Tafoya
- Outstanding Production Design/Art Direction – “Waiting all Day for Sunday Night” opening
Additional wins included:
- Outstanding Sports Personality, Play-by-Play – Mike “Doc” Emrick, NBC/NBCSN
- Outstanding On-Air Sports Personality in Spanish – Andres Cantor, Telemundo
- Outstanding Sports Promotional Announcement/Episodic – NHL on NBCSN “Wednesday Night Rivalry,” NBCSN
- The George Wensel Technical Achievement Award – The Premier League, Goal Line Technology, NBCSN
- Outstanding Live Sports Coverage in Spanish – Rumbo Al Mundial “Costa Rica vs. Mexico,” Telemundo
For the sixth consecutive year, NBC Sports won Outstanding Live Sports Series for Sunday Night Football – no other Live Sports Series has won for more than three years in a row. NBC Sports has now won the award in seven of the last eight years, also winning in 2007 for its NASCAR coverage.
Bob Costas was awarded his 26thcareer Emmy and fourth consecutive for Outstanding Sports Personality-Studio Host. Costas is the host of Football Night in America, the most-watched studio show in sports.
Cris Collinsworth was awarded his sixth consecutive Emmy for Outstanding Sports Personality-Sports Event Analyst. It was Collinsworth’s 15thcareer Emmy, which includes wins in 2007 and 2008 in the Studio Analyst category for work on Football Night in America.
Mike “Doc” Emrick won his second Emmy in four years for Outstanding Sports Personality-Play by Play.
Michele Tafoya was awarded her second Emmy for Outstanding Sports Personality-Sports Reporter. She also won the inaugural award in the category in 2011.
A complete list of winners will be made available at www.emmyonline.org.
–NBC Sports Group–