More Than 40 Hours of Championship and On-Site Studio Coverage Hours of U.S. Women’s Open Coverage
Billie Jean King Voices Opening Tease for NBC Sports’ U.S. Women’s Open Coverage
Thursday and Friday Featured Groups Coverage – Jin Young Ko/Lexi Thompson/Jennifer Kupcho and Nelly Korda/Danielle Kang/Atthaya Thitikul – Streams on Peacock
Golf Central Live From The U.S. Women’s Open Delivers Pre- and Post-Round Coverage – Championship Preview Show Wednesday at Noon ET on GOLF Channel
“Becoming Annika” Documentary Airs Sunday, June 5 at 2 p.m. ET on NBC Leading Into Final Round Coverage
STAMFORD, Conn. – June 1, 2022 – NBC Sports presents exclusive live coverage of the 2022 U.S. Women’s Open Presented by ProMedica from Pine Needles Lodge and Golf Club in Southern Pines, N.C., this week across NBC, USA Network and Peacock.
In addition to live championship coverage, Golf Central Live From the U.S. Women’s Open provides comprehensive pre- and post-round coverage on GOLF Channel on-site from Pine Needles, beginning with a live preview show today, June 1, beginning at noon ET.
Sports icon Billie Jean King voices the opening tease for NBC Sports’ U.S. Women’s Open coverage, which will premiere during Thursday’s opening round coverage.
Thursday-Friday coverage will air 1-3 p.m. ET on Peacock followed by coverage on USA Network from 3-8 p.m. ET. Weekend coverage on NBC will also simulcast on Peacock. Following are the full programming details for the U.S. Women’s Open:
- Play by Play: Terry Gannon / Grant Boone
- Analyst: Morgan Pressel / Paige Mackenzie
- Tower: Tom Abbott / Karen Stupples
- On-Course: Kay Cockerill / John Wood
- Interviews: Kathryn Tappen
How To Watch – Thursday, June 2 – Sunday, June 5 (all times ET)
- TV – NBC, USA Network
- Streaming – Peacock, NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app
|Thursday, June 2||1-3 p.m.||3-8 p.m.|
|Friday, June 3||1-3 p.m.||3-8 p.m.|
|Saturday, June 4||12-1 p.m./3-6 p.m.||1-3 p.m.||3-6 p.m.|
|Sunday, June 5||3-7 p.m.||1-3 p.m.||3-7 p.m.|
In addition, NBC Sports will complement its comprehensive U.S Women’s Open coverage with live featured groups Thursday-Sunday, showcasing a morning group and an afternoon group each day of the Championship. Featured groups will be shown live on Peacock, uswomensopen.com and the USGA OnDemand app. In total, there will be approximately 30 hours of additional digital coverage in 2022.
- Jin Young Ko, Lexi Thompson, Jennifer Kupcho at 8:39 a.m. ET
- Atthaya Thitikul, Danielle Kang, Nelly Korda at 2:24 p.m. ET
- Atthaya Thitikul, Danielle Kang, Nelly Korda at 8:39 a.m. ET
- Jin Young Ko, Lexi Thompson, Jennifer Kupcho at 2:24 p.m. ET
George Savaricas and Shane Bacon (play-by-play) and Tripp Isenhour and Emilia Migliaccio (on-course reporters) will provide commentary for NBC Sports’ featured groups coverage.
Golf Central Live From the U.S. Women’s Open
Beginning this afternoon, NBC Sports will surround the tournament with live on-site studio coverage on Golf Central Live From the U.S. Women’s Open on GOLF Channel. Cara Banks hosts the week’s coverage alongside analysts Brandel Chamblee, Mackenzie, Stupples, and Beth Ann Nichols and reporter Amy Rogers.
|Date||Golf Central – Live From the U.S. Women’s Open*|
|Wednesday, June 1||Noon-4:30 p.m.|
|Thursday, June 2||Noon-2 p.m. / 8-9 p.m.|
|Friday, June 3||Noon-2 p.m. / 8-9 p.m.|
|Saturday, June 4||11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. / 6-7 p.m.|
|Sunday, June 5||11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. / 7-8 p.m.|
|*all times ET, post-round coverage begins following conclusion of play|
Last week, NBC Sports U.S. Women’s Open commentators Morgan Pressel, Tom Abbott, Kay Cockerill and Karen Stupples previewed the upcoming championship on a media conference call. Following are highlights. Click here for the full transcript.
Pressel on Pine Needles: “The number one thing that comes to my mind when I think about Pine Needles is creativity. Creativity around the greens, creativity to hit different types of shots into the greens to be able to hold the greens wherever the hole location may be.”
Cockerill on the difficulty of Pine Needles: “I actually played in the U.S. Senior Women’s Open at Pine Needles (in 2019)…until you play the course and you realize just how diabolical those greens are, you almost have to find a 15- or 20-foot center of every green no matter where the hole is located, otherwise your ball is rolling off the sides of the green…it’s remarkable how challenging the course is.”
Stupples on players to watch: “When I look through players that have been playing well, players that are ready to be tried and tested this week, Lexi Thompson has been on the verge of playing well, Hannah Green there or thereabouts, Jin Young Ko, as Jerry was saying, has yet to find some form. She hasn’t been hitting as many greens as she normally does, and that’s going to be a big factor.”
U.S. WOMEN’S OPEN FEATURES
NBC Sports will surround the U.S. Women’s Open with a variety of features and vignettes throughout its studio coverage on GOLF Channel and live tournament coverage on NBC, USA Network and Peacock. Stories include:
- Rachel and Brenda Kuehn – In 2001, Brenda Kuehn competed in the U.S. Women’s Open while eight months pregnant with her daughter, Rachel. Fast-forward 21 years and Rachel Kuehn has risen through the ranks of women’s amateur golf, following the path of her mom – who also attended Wake Forest and was a USGA medalist – and competing at the 2022 U.S. Women’s Open.
- Peggy Kirk Bell – Often referred to as GOLF Channel’s Paige Mackenzie discussed the impact of World Golf Hall of Famer Peggy Kirk Bell, who owned Pine Needles for decades and was known to many as “North Carolina’s First Lady of Golf.”
- Jensen Castle – Voiced by Cara Banks, the feature examines Jensen Castle’s improbable run to the U.S. Women’s Amateur title in 2021, surviving a 12-for-2 playoff to reach match play and becoming the first No. 63 seed to hoist the Robert Cox Trophy.
- Pinehurst Mystique – Voiced by Kira K. Dixon, the piece examines the history and mystique that surrounds Pinehurst, often referred to as the cradle of American golf.