Re-Designed NBCSports.com is Most Dedicated Live Video Site in Sports
Rotoworld’s Best-in-Class Player News Featured Throughout NBC Sports Digital Network
Re-Design Provides Consistent Look & Feel Across All Areas of NBCSports.com
ProFootballTalk.com Gets First Re-Design in Six Years
STAMFORD, Conn. – September 3, 2015 – NBC Sports Digital will launch a re-designed NBCSports.com this Monday, September 7, to provide fans with a clean, streamlined experience that improves the prominence of live and short-form video as well as player news. The announcement was made today by Rick Cordella, SVP & GM, Digital Media, NBC Sports Group.
With more than 2,700 live streaming events annually, the re-designed NBCSports.com will be the most dedicated live video site in sports, prominently featuring NBC Sports Live Extra — NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, tablets, and connected TVs — throughout the site experience. A live streaming schedule will be displayed site-wide so fans can access NBC Sports’ unprecedented portfolio of live streaming content more easily. A “Watch Now” feature in the schedule will indicate events that are currently live, and display upcoming events up to 72 hours in advance. In addition, a full schedule of live programming will be available on the NBC Sports Live Extra landing page up to a week in advance.
The re-designed site will also showcase short-form, on-demand video content in specially curated categories, including clips from NBC Sports Group’s properties; original programming such as THE MEN IN BLAZERS SHOW and Mobsteel; NBC Sports Films content; and NBC Sports and Yahoo Sports’ Mad Dash, a digital-only weekday morning video roundup of the day’s biggest trending sports stories. These sharable clips will be featured in categories such as “Storytelling,” with clips from documentaries and features, “Trending,” with viral and topical stories, “Highlights,” for the best action-oriented moments, and more. Additional digital-only original programming will be announced in the coming months.
With the growing popularity of fantasy sports, the re-designed site will make Rotoworld’s best-in-class up-to-date player news more easily accessible. Injury reports, transactions, and stats will be housed in a dedicated team/player news section and integrated throughout the site. Rotoworld, the internet’s highest-trafficked fantasy sports information site, is the industry leader in player news and part of NBC Sports Digital’s portfolio.
“NBCSports.com was re-designed with the single purpose of providing sports fans with easier access to the content that distinguishes NBCSports.com from other sports sites, particularly live video and player news,” said Cordella. “From the more intuitive NBC Sports Live Extra elements to player news integration and an adaptable layout for multiple devices, NBCSports.com will be more equipped to serve an increasingly mobile sports fan.”
NBCSports Digital’s vast streaming portfolio consists of sports programming on NBC, NBCSN, Golf Channel, and NBC Sports’ Regional Networks. This includes events such as the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, Sunday Night Football, the Super Bowl, NASCAR, NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final, Premier League, Triple Crown horse racing, and much more.
The new design will provide a consistent look and feel across NBCSports.com; NBC SportsWorld, NBCSports.com’s site dedicated to long-form storytelling; NBC Sports Live Extra; and all SportsTalk sites.
ProFootballTalk.com, undergoing its first re-design since 2009, will feature homepage images and infinite scrolling. New features on ProFootballTalk.com also include an NFL scoreboard that appears across each page on the site, and a “Watch Live” module that highlights NFL-related streams including Sunday Night Football and Pro Football Talk on NBCSN, as well as short-form videos.
A full list of new site features includes:
- An adaptable, responsive layout for four different screen sizes (desktop, tablet portrait and landscape, and mobile devices) for an optimal experience for all devices.
- A consistent look and feel across the portfolio of NBC Sports web properties, merging NBCSports.com and SportsTalk sites into one seamless experience.
- NBC Sports Live Extra will be prominently featured within the new site experience, which incorporates a site-wide live streaming schedule, direct links, and a TV listings component with fixed scrolling position.
- The most up-to-date player news including injury reports, transactions, and stats from Rotoworld, which will be accessible in a dedicated team/player news section and integrated throughout many sections across the site.
- A video discovery landing page, where users can access both NBC Sports Live Extra content and short-form, on-demand video in specially curated categories.
- The site will automatically register a user’s home market to feature a link to the appropriate NBC Sports Regional Network site in the top navigation panel, including local NBA live streaming on NBC Sports Regional Networks, which are featured in the “Live” and “Upcoming” events on NBC Sports Live Extra.
- A new format that enables layout flexibility for big event homepage takeovers in order to promote special content, live events, and breaking news on the site.
- Articles feature infinite scrolling and a “story explorer” feature that allows users to quickly browse content.
- Media gallery overlays for photo slideshows and videos that open when clicked from the homepage or sport sections, which will allow users to maintain their place on the homepage or specific sports section and continue to engage with site after closing the video or gallery.
- A scoreboard ticker with team- and sport-focused imagery, optimized across desktop and tablets.
NBC Sports Digital
A division of the NBC Sports Group, the Emmy Award-winning NBC Sports Digital offers sports fans 24/7 news coverage, extensive live-event streaming, and complementary coverage of many of the properties within NBC Sports Group’s unparalleled collection of media rights across desktops, mobile and tablets. NBC Sports Digital includes NBCSports.com, NBCOlympics.com, GolfChannel.com, the digital assets of NBC Sports Regional Networks, and Rotoworld.com, among others, as well as a collection of apps that includes NBC Sports Live Extra, NBC SportsTalk and NBC Olympics Highlights and Results. NBC Sports Group and Yahoo! Sports, through a content and promotional partnership, rank among the most-trafficked digital properties in all of sports. Through its SportsTalk strategy, NBCSports.com provides fans with quick, frequently-updated news and information with a unique perspective. The division’s live streaming portfolio includes some of the most-watched and most-trafficked events of all time, including Sunday Night Football on a weekly basis, Super Bowl XLVI and XLIX, the Stanley Cup Playoffs and Final, Premier League, the 2012 London Olympic Games, and the 2014 Sochi Olympics, for which NBCOlympics.com earned a combined three Emmys.
–NBC SPORTS DIGITAL–