Segments showcasing Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Chuck Cooper, Wayne Embry, Earl Lloyd, Lynette Woodard and others to air during
NBA TV’s GameTime throughout February
In observance of Black History Month this February, NBA TV has produced “Barrier Breakers”, a series of video segments that will run daily throughout the month on the network’s signature program, GameTime. The first segment will highlight Bill Russell, the 12-time All-Star, Hall of Famer, first African American NBA coach, Civil Rights Activist and the 2011 Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient, the nation’s highest honor to a civilian, on February 1, during the 7 p.m. (ET) GameTime show.
The 24 different segments will pay tribute to the game’s most influential pioneers and sports legends who have paved the way for today’s basketball superstars. The segment will consist of live interviews, pre-produced vignettes and reflections on these pioneers who inspired others and continued to break barriers from NBA TV’s announcers and studio teams.
Some of the barrier breakers that will be highlighted throughout the month include:
· Wilt Chamberlain – 13-time All-Star and Hall of Famer who was the only player in the NBA to average 40 and 50 points per season and score 100 points in a single game.
· Chuck Cooper – The first African American player to be drafted to the NBA in 1950. He was one of three African American athletes to play in the NBA.
· Wayne Embry – Five-time All-Star and NBA Champion with the Boston Celtics. After his retirement, he became the first African American NBA general manager for the Milwaukee Bucks.
· Earl Lloyd – One of the first African American basketball players in the league and the first to play in an NBA game during the 1950-51 season.
· Lynette Woodard – Olympic gold medalist and the first female member of the Harlem Globetrotters.
NBA Digital is the NBA’s extensive cross-platform portfolio of digital assets jointly managed by the NBA and Turner Sports. This robust offering includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA LEAGUE PASS, NBA LEAGUE PASS Broadband, NBA Mobile, NBADleague.com and WNBA.com.
Turner Sports, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., presents some of the best and most popular sporting events worldwide and is a leader in televised and online sports programming. With events airing on TBS and TNT, Turner Sports’ line-up includes NASCAR and NASCAR.COM, the NBA, Major League Baseball, professional golf, PGATOUR.COM and PGA.com. Turner Sports and the NBA also jointly manage NBA Digital, which includes NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA League Pass, NBADLeague.com and WNBA.com