Golden State Warriors Attempt to Set All-Time Wins Record on ESPN
Kobe Bryant’s Farewell Game to Air Simultaneously on ESPN2
Comprehensive SportsCenter Coverage of Monumental Night
On Air: Breen | Van Gundy | Jackson | Burke | Tirico | Brown | Salters | Steele | Collins | Rose | Billups | Jones | Barry
ESPN will be the home to one of the most significant nights in NBA regular season history this Wednesday, April 13. The Golden State Warriors will attempt to break the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls’ all-time wins record by going 73-9 this season as they host the Memphis Grizzles at 10:30 p.m. ET on ESPN/WatchESPN. Mike Breen, analysts Jeff Van Gundy and Mark Jackson and reporter Doris Burke will provide commentary. (ESPN’s Golden State-Memphis telecast on April 13 will be subject to local blackout in the Golden State Warriors’ television territory).
Simultaneously, ESPN2 will televise NBA icon Kobe Bryant’s final game as the Los Angeles Lakers host the Utah Jazz (10:30 p.m.) Mike Tirico, Basketball Hall of Famer and analyst Hubie Brown and reporter Lisa Salters will call the action. The game will also be available on WatchESPN.
Prior to the Golden State game, ESPN will televise the Miami Heat at Boston Celtics matchup at 8 p.m. Mark Jones will provide play-by-play with analyst Jon Barry. This game could be a first round playoff preview.
The monumental night will tip off with a one-hour edition of NBA Countdown, hosted by Sage Steele with analysts Doug Collins and Jalen Rose. In addition, Doris Burke and Chauncey Billups will contribute to NBA Countdown from Oakland, Calif. at the Warriors game. The telecast will include a feature called “Snap Shot,” a look at Kobe Bryant’s storied career through the eyes and camera lens of long-time Lakers team photographer Andy Bernstein.
Also on Wednesday, April 13, ESPN will provide comprehensive Kobe Bryant coverage throughout the day, leading into his farewell game.
- Day-long, on-site updates and reports from ESPN commentators including Stephen A. Smith, Ramona Shelburne and Shelley Smith.
- Hannah Storm will host the 10 a.m. ET SportsCenter from ESPN’s Los Angeles Production Center.
- Stan Verrett at the Staples Center for post-game SportsCenter
- Additional Kobe Bryant content:
- Kobe Bryant career-retrospective essays to air on SportsCenter, from Jeremy Schaap, Ramona Shelburne, J.A. Adande, and Bruce Bowen.
- Vignettes to include hip-hop star Kendrick Lamar’s tribute and “Kobe in his own words.”
- Virtually every ESPN platform will provide Kobe Bryant coverage on Wednesday, including His & Hers, First Take, SportsNation, The Jump, Mike & Mike, Highly Questionable, Around The Horn, Pardon The Interruption.
ESPN reporters on-site this Wednesday:
- In Los Angeles: Ramona Shelburne, Stephen A. Smith, Baxter Holmes.
- In Oakland: Marc Stein, Ethan Strauss, Michael Wilbon.
- ESPN Radio’s Los Angeles-based Jalen & Jacoby, hosted by Jalen Rose and David Jacoby, will expand to two-and-a-half hours on Wednesday, April 13, for a special pre-game edition of their show before Kobe Bryant’s last game in the NBA. Immediately following the NBA On ESPN Radio post-game show, ESPN Radio will simulcast ESPN LA 710’s Kobe Finale Special hosted by two of the station’s weekday hosts, Steve Mason and former Laker Mychal Thompson, from the Staples Center.
- “Be Honest with Cari Champion” podcast: three-hour special podcast that feature conversations with those who have known and followed Kobe throughout his career, as well as personal anecdotes from Cari, who is an LA native and Kobe fan herself.
- 30, 30-second vignettes running across ESPN Radio featuring interviews with Steph Curry, Lebron James, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and more talking about playing against Kobe and what he meant to the game.
ESPN’s Wednesday night schedule:
|6 p.m.||SportsCenter||ESPN, WatchESPN||Lindsay Czarniak|
|7 p.m.||NBA Countdown charged by Mountain Dew||ESPN, WatchESPN||Sage Steele, Jalen Rose, Doug Collins, Chauncey Billups, Doris Burke|
|8 p.m.||Miami Heat at Boston Celtics presented by State Farm||ESPN, WatchESPN||Mark Jones, Jon Barry|
|7 p.m.||Wednesday Night Baseball presented by Hankook Tire: Baltimore Orioles at Boston Red Sox*||ESPN2, WatchESPN||Jon Sciambi, Rick Sutcliffe|
|10:30 p.m.||Memphis Grizzlies at Golden State Warriors presented by State Farm**||ESPN, ESPN Radio, WatchESPN||ESPN: Mike Breen, Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Doris Burke
ESPN Radio: Kevin Calabro, Kara Lawson
|10:30 p.m.||Utah Jazz at Los Angeles Lakers presented by State Farm||ESPN2, ESPN Deportes, WatchESPN||ESPN2: Mike Tirico, Hubie Brown, Lisa Salters
ESPN Deportes: Alvaro Martin, Carlos Morales, Bernardo Osuna
* Wednesday Night Baseball will be subject to local blackout in Boston television territory.
** ESPN’s Golden State-Memphis telecast on April 13 will be subject to local blackout in the Golden State Warriors’ television territory.
Gianina Thompson at 860-766-7022 or email@example.com (Gianina_ESPN).