Through First Half of 2015, Golf Channel Continues as No. 1 Most Affluent Network in Television
Golf Channel Digital Posts Best Quarter Ever for Page Views and Unique Visitors
ORLANDO, Fla. (July 1, 2015) – Golf Channel tied its most-watched second quarter ever and served 23.5 million unique viewers, which was driven by increases across the network’s live events and news programming schedules. For 24-hour Total Day (6AM-6AM), 124,000 average viewers per minute were tuned into Golf Channel in the second quarter, representing a 3% increase compared to second quarter 2014 (120,000) and tying second quarter 2013 as most-watched second quarter ever. This represents a 44% increase since Golf Channel joined NBC Sports Group, according to data released by The Nielsen Company.
GOLF CHANNEL SECOND QUARTER VIEWERSHIP COMPARISON
2014 120,000 +3%
2013 124,000 Tied For Most-Watched
2012 115,000 +8%
2011 89,000 +39%
2010 86,000 +44%
Additionally, Golf Channel continues as the No. 1 most-affluent network in all of television with the highest median household income for total day viewership (#2 NBCSN). Golf Channel also was the No. 1 most-affluent network in all of television in primetime (#2 NBCSN).
Golf Channel’s second quarter highlights include:
- PGA TOUR live coverage on Golf Channel is +9% YOY, +13% with P25-54.
- PGA TOUR live coverage on Golf Channel on NBC is +26% YOY, +27% with P25-54.
- Golf Channel posted its most-watched April ever and the network’s most-watched month since August 2013.
- Golf Channel posted its second most-watched Masters Week, behind 2013. +33% with total viewers, +28% with P25-54.
- Drive, Chip and Putt National Championship’s live coverage from Augusta National was +20% YOY, +34% with P25-54.
- Golf Central’s Live from THE PLAYERS and early round coverage propelled Golf Channel to draw 8.1 million viewers throughout the week, making it the third most-viewed week on Golf Channel since August 2013, trailing only the past two Masters weeks.
- With 174,000 average viewers per minute across PLAYERS week, it is the second most-watched PLAYERS week ever on Golf Channel.
- As part of Golf Channel’s 25 consecutive days of live golf, the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Golf Championships lifted their timeslots more than 100% from the prior four week averages and reached more than 3 million unique viewers.
- KPMG Women’s PGA Championship aired across Golf Channel and Golf Channel on NBC, reaching almost 6 million unique viewers and averaging 292,000 viewers per minute, making it the second-best women’s major in the past year.
- Golf Central’s Live from the U.S. Open was the second most-watched ever from this event, behind 2012, the last time the event was held on the West Coast.
GOLF CHANNEL DIGITAL POSTS BEST QUARTER EVER FOR PAGE VIEWS AND UNIQUE VISITORS
Golf Channel Digital generated record traffic via GolfChannel.com and mobile apps, according to Adobe Site Catalyst:
- Golf Channel Digital 267 million page views (+42% YOY) – Best Quarter Ever
- Golf Channel Digital 18 million unique visitors (+43% YOY) – Best Quarter Ever
- Golf Channel Digital 11.7 million video starts (+30% YOY) – Best Second Quarter Ever
Golf Live Extra streaming highlights include:
- Second Quarter streamed 24.3 million live minutes (+16% YOY, +67% vs. 1stQ 2015).
- Coverage of the THE PLAYERS on Golf Channel and Golf Channel on NBC was the most-streamed PGA TOUR event on NBC Sports Live Extra and Golf Live Extra since the 2014 Ryder Cup with 7.4 million live minutes, 150,000 unique devices and 213,000 visits.
- PGA TOUR events in second quarter drew 1.9 million live minutes (+25% YOY, +54% vs. 1stQ 2015), 43,000 unique devices (19% YOY, +46% vs. 1stQ 2015), and 63,000 visits (28% YOY, +49% vs. 1stQ 2015).
UPCOMING LIVE EVENTS ON GOLF CHANNEL AND GOLF CHANNEL ON NBC
Golf Channel will carry momentum of this record viewership and traffic into third quarter with a slate of live golf coverage and in-depth news and analysis, including:
- Aberdeen Asset Scottish Open – NBC Sports Group will dedicate more than 25 hours of live tournament coverage, including the conclusion of third and final round play on Golf Channel on NBC.
- Golf Central Live From St. Andrews – Golf Channel’s signature Golf Central news program will originate on-site from the home of golf with more than 25 live hours of news and analysis throughout Open Championship week during Golf Central Live From St. Andrews.
- Golf Central Live From the PGA Championship – Golf Central’s Live From the PGA Championship news program will feature more than 40 hours of wraparound news coverage from Whistling Straits in Sheboygan, Wis.
- FEDEX CUP Playoffs – NBC Sports Group will present the final three events of the 2015 FedExCup Playoffs beginning with the Deutsche Bank Championship (Sept. 4-7) outside of Boston, and continuing with the BMW Championship (Sept. 17-20) outside of Chicago, before culminating in the 30-man-field TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola (Sept. 24-27) in Atlanta. Golf Channel will have early-round and lead-in coverage of the first FEDEX CUP Playoff event, The Barclays (Aug 27-30).
- Evian Championship – Golf Channel and Golf Channel on NBC will air a combined 22 hours of coverage – the most hours in tournament history – of the LPGA’s fifth and final major of 2015, the Evian Championship, from Evian les Bains, France, Sept. 9-13.
- Solheim Cup – From the first tee shot until the final putt drops, Golf Channel will televise more than 27 hours of the biennial Solheim Cup matches from Germany, Sept. 18-20, which pits the game’s top female players from Europe and U.S.A. in three days of match-play competition.
ABOUT GOLF CHANNEL
Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. Serving the most-affluent audience in all of television, Golf Channel – co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and now part of NBC Sports Group – is available in more than 200 million homes in more than 80 countries and 11 languages around the world. Exclusive partnerships with the world’s top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, as well as a programming schedule distinguished by golf’s highest-quality news, instruction and original content. Golf Channel’s digital platforms, headed by GolfChannel.com, are the leading golf destinations on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf. Fans are able to enjoy 24/7 live streaming of Golf Channel content through Golf Live Extra and select programming is simulcast via SiriusXM’s PGA TOUR Radio. In addition, Golf Channel connects the world to golf through a wide array of digital and lifestyle services including Golf Channel Mobile, a comprehensive app covering golf’s latest headlines, scores and analysis; GolfNow, the world’s largest online tee time booking platform and golf course technology partner, which includes the GolfNow Mobile App, featuring on-course GPS tracking, in-round scoring and game tracking; GolfAdvisor.com, a golf course ratings and review portal for golfers, by golfers; a North American network of Golf Channel Academy instructional facilities; and Golf Channel Am Tour, the world’s largest amateur golf tour.
Linear TV Source: Nielsen Live+Same Day US HH Rtg and P2+ 000’s and reach w/6 minute qualifier vs. prior comparable days/weeks/quarters/years.
Digital Source: Adobe Site Catalyst
– NBC Sports Group –