FOX SPORTS HIGHLIGHTS – 3 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
COLLEGE SPORTS: Baseball, Softball, Lacrosse
Champions Crowned on FOX Sports 1 & 2
MOTOR SPORTS: Major Racing Weekend Headlined by NASCAR from Talladega
UFC: Brown vs. Silva Headlines UFC Fight Night on FOX Sports 1
#ICYMI: Gary Payton on FOX Sports Live on L.A. Clippers – ‘I don’t think it should be hard right now. I think it should be off their backs. I think they should go out there now and just play for their fans, play for their team, play for their teammates.’ Follow @FOXSportsLive on Twitter
ST. LOUIS CARDINALS BATTLE CHICAGO CUBS; DETROIT TIGERS TAKE ON KANSAS CITY ROYALS SATURDAY ON FOX SPORTS 1
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Saturday, May 3 (1:00 PM ET)
- St. Louis at Chicago Cubs: Eric Collins/Preston Wilson (1:00 PM ET)
- Detroit at Kansas City: Justin Kutcher/Eric Karros(7:00 PM ET)
MLB WHIPAROUND CONTINUES ON FOX SPORTS 1
- Network/When/On-air Talent: FOX Sports 1, Weekdays
- Thursday, May 1 (10:00 PM ET) – Ryan Field, C.J. Nitkowski, Gabe Kapler
- Friday, May 2 (9:00 PM ET) *30 minute show – Ryan Field, Gabe Kapler
- Monday, May 5 (10:00 PM ET) – TBD
- Tuesday, May 6 (10:00 PM ET) – TBD
- Wednesday, May 7 (12:00 AM ET) – TBD
- What: MLB WHIPAROUND – This nightly MLB program expands FOX Sports 1’s commitment to baseball coverage this season with quick-turnaround highlights of in-progress games, MLB news and analysis. The hour-long program originates from Los Angeles.
FRANKLIN TEMPLETON SHOOTOUT COMING TO FOX SPORTS – On Wednesday, FOX Sports held a media call to announce that one of golf’s most anticipated events, the Franklin Templeton Shootout, is coming to the FOX broadcast network and FOX Sports 1 in December of 2014. The announcement was made by FOX Sports President, COO and Executive Producer Eric Shanks, along with Coordinating Producer for FOX Sports’ golf studio and event coverage Mark Loomis, World Golf Hall of Fame inductee and FOX Sports’ lead golf analyst Greg Norman and Taylor Ives, head of event management for the Greg Norman Production Company. The Franklin Templeton Shootout will be the first professional golf event broadcast by FOX Sports with Joe Buck and Norman announcing from the 18th green tower.
SHANKS ON FOX SEIZING THE OPPORTUNITY – “It is a prestigious tournament. We jumped at the chance when the opportunity was available, and it actually works out quite well that it ends up being Joe [Buck] and Greg’s [Norman] first tournament that they are going to broadcast on FOX.”
NORMAN ON MOVING THE FINISH OF THE TOURNAMENT FROM SUNDAY TO SATURDAY – “One of the best things about this is that FOX is showing its innovation right now. Obviously FOX televises NFL games, and one of the keen interests that they picked up on was what if we finish this on Saturday? The Saturday broadcast normally rates higher than the Sunday broadcast, historically, so on Saturday, December 13th, there’s a soft sports landscape featuring only the Army-Navy game. The opportunity to capture this soft market on a Saturday was sitting there primed for FOX, and they recognized that. From a negative standpoint I don’t see anything. The players are going to love it because now they can get home a day earlier and watch the NFL on FOX on Sunday instead of being conflicted. The opportunity, quite honestly, is very open without any negative influences from any department.”
SPRING CHAMPIONSHIPS GET UNDERWAY ON FOX SPORTS 1 & 2 – FOX Sports 1 and FOX Sports 2 present live coverage of several spring championships, beginning with lacrosse this week. On Saturday, May 3, FOX Sports 2 airs the BIG EAST women’s lacrosse championship game at 2:30 PM ET, followed by the ECAC men’s championship at 5:00 PM ET. The ECAC semifinals also air on FOX Sports 2 on Thursday, May 1 (5:00 & 7:30 PM ET). FOX Sports 1 has the BIG EAST men’s lacrosse championship Saturday, May 3 (4:30 PM ET). Coverage continues the following weekend with the BIG EAST softball tournament semifinals on FOX Sports 2 on Friday, May 9 (2:00 & 4:30 PM ET), and the championship game on FOX Sports 1 on Saturday, May 10 (12:00 PM ET). The spring season wraps up on Sunday, May 25, with the BIG EAST (1:00 PM ET) and Big 12 (5:30 PM ET) baseball championship contests.
|Thursday, May 1||ECAC Men’s Lacrosse Semifinals||5:00 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Thursday, May 1||ECAC Men’s Lacrosse Semifinals||7:30 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Saturday, May 3||BIG EAST Women’s Lacrosse Championship||2:30 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Saturday, May 3||BIG EAST Men’s Lacrosse Championship||4:30 PM||FOX Sports 1|
|Saturday, May 3||ECAC Men’s Lacrosse Championship||5:00 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Friday, May 9||BIG EAST Softball Semifinals||2:00 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Friday, May 9||BIG EAST Softball Semifinals||4:30 PM||FOX Sports 2|
|Saturday, May 10||BIG EAST Softball Championship||12:00 PM||FOX Sports 1|
|Sunday, May 25||BIG EAST Baseball Championship||1:00 PM||FOX Sports 1|
|Sunday, May 25||Big 12 Baseball Championship||5:30 PM||FOX Sports 1|
THE 2014 UEFA EUROPA LEAGUE FINALISTS TO BE DECIDED
- Network/When: Juventus vs. Benfica, FOX Sports 1, Thursday, May 1 (2:30 PM ET); Valenica vs. Sevilla, FOX Sports 2, Thursday, May 1 (2:30 PM ET)
- Talent: John Strong calls the Juventus-Benfica match alongside analyst Brian McBride, while JP Dellacamera and Brian Dunseth call Valencia-Sevilla. Rob Stone hosts pre, halftime and postgame coverage live from the FOX Network in Los Angeles, with analysts McBride, Warren Barton, Janusz Michallik and former FIFA and CONCACAF match commissioner Dr. Joe Machnik.
HYUNDAI A-LEAGUE GRAND FINAL
- What: Brisbane Roar vs. Western Sydney Wanderers
- Network/When: FOX Sports 2, Saturday, May 3 (10:00 PM ET)
NASCAR ON FOX & FOX SPORTS 1 FROM TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY
The NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES jumps from the short track at Richmond last Saturday to the circuit’s longest track for the race at Talladega Superspeedway, live on FOX Sunday, May 4 (1:00 PM ET), with prerace coverage beginning at 12:30 PM ET.
Mike Joy leads the NASCAR on FOX booth from Talladega with analysis from NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip and former crew chief Larry McReynolds. Chris Myers hosts from the famed Hollywood Hotel with analysis from Jeff Hammond and Michael Waltrip, and Steve Byrnes, Krista Voda and Matt Yocum report from the pits.
The season’s popular new “knockout” qualifying format makes its NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES restrictor-plate track debut at Talladega in what promises to be a highly entertaining 90-minute session on Saturday, May 3 (1:00 PM ET). NASCAR on FOX is showing its enthusiasm for the new system by showing qualifying on FOX this weekend, marking the first time a non-Daytona qualifying session has aired on the broadcast network. The new qualifying system, which moves away from the traditional single-car qualifying, is supported by double-digit, year-to-year ratings growth.
All 43-plus cars qualify collectively for up to 25 minutes, with the top 24 based on fastest laps advancing for a subsequent 10-minute session. The top 12 from that group advance to the final, five-minute round.
FOX Sports GO, the app that provides live streaming video of FOX Sports content, offers live streaming of the race and qualifying, as well as all practice sessions telecast on FOX Sports 1. Customers of participating video providers may access the live streams of the race through the FOX Sports GO app for iOS devices, as well as on desktops through FOXSportsGO.com. FOX Deportes also telecasts the race live.
NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES RACING FROM TALLADEGA SUPERSPEEDWAY
- Network/When: FOX, FOX Deportes & FOX Sports GO on Sunday, May 4
(1:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Mike Joy leads the NASCAR on FOX booth with analysis from NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip and former crew chief Larry McReynolds. Chris Myers hosts alongside Michael Waltrip with pit reports from Steve Byrnes, Jeff Hammond, Krista Voda and Matt Yocum.
FOX NASCAR SUNDAY TALLADEGA PRE-RACE SHOW
- Network/When: FOX, Sunday, May 4 (12:30 PM ET)
- Talent: Chris Myers, Mike Joy, Darrell Waltrip, Larry McReynolds, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Hammond, Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum and Krista Voda
- This Week: live interview with Jimmie Johnson; the panel examines Talladega as a “wild card” in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup, as it can provide an underdog a shot at winning the race, thus punching his/her ticket to the Chase
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Sunday, May 4 (11:30 AM)
- Talent: Chris Myers, Mike Joy, Larry McReynolds, Michael Waltrip, Jeff Hammond, Steve Byrnes, Matt Yocum and Krista Voda
- This Week: Darrell Waltrip interviews Brad Keselowski; Front Row Motorsports drivers David Ragan and David Gilliland reflect on their 1-2 finish in this race last year; aftermath from the Casey Mears/Marcos Ambrose confrontation; Michael Waltrip’s “Off the Grid” segment takes a unique Talladega Blvd. detour during the speedway’s “Big One on the Blvd.,” a Friday night parade celebrating the infield rowdiness; Alabama native McReynolds’ feature on the history of Talladega
NASCAR RACE HUB
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Thursday, May 1 (9:00 PM ET); Monday, May 5 (4:00 PM ET), Tuesday, May 6 (4:00 PM ET); Wednesday, May 7 (4:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Co-hosts Steve Byrnes, Danielle Trotta and Adam Alexander; analysts Matt Clark; Bob Dillner, Jeff Hammond and Larry McReynolds
- This Week: Front Row Motorsports drivers David Ragan and David Gilliland, who finished 1-2 at Talladega last spring, on Thursday, May 1
- Next Week: Driver/guest analyst AJ Allmendinger on Monday, May 5; NASCAR Sprint Cup Series owner Joe Gibbs and Richmond NASCAR K&N Pro Series East winner/2014-’15 NASCAR Next driver Ben Rhodes on Wednesday, May 7
- NOTE: NASCAR RACE HUB moves to its new time of 5:00 PM ET beginning Friday, May 9 (weekdays 5:00 PM ET)
FAMED CHEF GUY FIERI TO HOST MONSTER ENERGY SUPERCROSS VEGAS FINALE
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Saturday, May 3 (10:00 PM ET pre-race special; 10:30 PM ET racing begins; available to authenticated subscribers on FOX Sports GO)
- Pre-race Talent: Guy Fieri, Chad Reed, Kevin Windham; Event Talent: Ralph Sheheen, Jeff Emig, Ricky Carmichael, Jenny Taft
- This Week: TV celebrity chef Guy Fieri, who recently opened Guy Fieri’s Vegas Kitchen & Bar on the Las Vegas Strip, serves as guest host of the Monster Energy Supercross Final pre-race coverage on FOX Sports 1 with racers Kevin Windham and Chad Reed offering commentary. Fieri stays with the broadcast when racing begins from Sam Boyd Stadium for the final event of the 2014 season. With Ryan Villopoto locking up the 450SX title, his fourth in a row, last weekend in New Jersey, the 250SX Class Regional Championships are still up for grabs in Las Vegas. Following the final Main Events of both the Eastern and Western Regional Championships, the top competitors in each division will round out a 22-rider field to determine who stands above the rest in the annual East/West Shootout … In addition, a premiere airing of the AMSOIL Arenacross race from Hidalgo, Texas debuts Sunday, May 4 (3:30 PM ET) on FOX Sports 1.
MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP GRAND PRIX OF SPAIN
MotoGP opens its first round of the season in Europe in Sunday’s MotoGP World Championship Grand Prix of Spain with World Champion Marc Marquez riding a seemingly unstoppable win streak. The 21-year-old Spaniard grabbed his third win in the season’s first three races last week in Argentina, becoming the first rider in 43 years to win the first three rounds from the pole position. Sunday’s Grand Prix, live on FOX Sports 1 (7:00 AM ET), offers championship contenders Dani Pedrosa (19 points behind Marquez) and Valentino Rossi (34 points behind) their next shot at Marquez, while two-time World Champion Jorge Lorenzo looks to climb up from seventh place in the standings in front of his home crowd. In addition, the MotoGP MotoGP2 Grand Prix of Spain premieres Sunday, May 4 on FOX Sports 2 (9:00 PM ET), and the Moto3 Grand Prix of Spain precedes it on FOX Sports 2 (8:00 PM ET).
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Sunday, May 4 (7:00 AM ET)
- Talent: Host Bob Varsha; analysts Gregory Haines and Nick Harris
ARCA RACING SERIES
ENFINGER LOOKS TO MAKE ARCA HISTORY WITH TALLADEGA VICTORY
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Saturday, May 3 (11:00 AM ET; available to authenticated subscribers on FOX Sports GO)
- Talent: Rick Allen, Phil Parsons, Ray Dunlap, Jim Tretow
- This Week: Alabama driver Grant Enfinger is the first ARCA driver since 1970 to win the first three events of the season (Daytona, Mobile, Salem). If he can win the International Motorsports Hall of Fame 200 at Talladega Saturday, May 3, he’ll be the first driver in ARCA history (62 years) to win the first four races of the year. Enfinger’s career-best ARCA finish at Talladega is third in 2009, which came in his Talladega debut.
TUDOR UNITED SPORTSCAR CHAMPIONSHIP
TUDOR CHAMPIONSHIP OFFERS ‘DOUBLEHEADER’ FROM LAGUNA SECA
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Sunday, May 4 (1:00 PM ET & 5:30 PM; available to subscribers on authenticated FOX Sports GO)
- Talent:Bob Varsha, Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, Brian Till, Jamie Howe
- This Week: The TUDOR United Sportscar Championship is divided into two, two-hour races this weekend, a nod to the collective high car count across the championship’s four classes — 56 entries total – rolling into Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Another bottom line: pit and paddock space are at a premium; dividing the four classes makes sense. It also should make for good racing, with the TUDOR Championships Prototype Challenge (PC) and GT Daytona (GTD) classes in the first race, followed by the Prototype (P) and GT Le Mans (GTLM) classes in the second event.
UFC FIGHT NIGHT: BROWN VS. SILVA FEATURES TWO TALENTED WELTERWEIGHTS IN THE MIX, SAYS ROGAN: The UFC heads to Cincinnati on Saturday, May 10 for UFC FIGHT NIGHT: BROWN VS. SILVA live on FOX SPORTS 1. Ohio native and No. 7-ranked Matt “The Immortal” Brown (20-11) fights in his home state for the first time since 2009 against Brazilian rising star and No. 14-ranked Erick Silva (16-4, 1NC) in the five-round welterweight headliner. Riding an impressive six-fight winning streak, Brown won five of those by knockout. He’ll be in a tough battle with the dynamic Silva, who has finished all four of his UFC wins. “Matt Brown and Erick Silva are two really talented 170 pounders trying to get to the top of the ultra-stacked welterweight division,” says UFC announcer Joe Rogan. “Matt Brown is one of the most aggressive, gritty fighters and Erick Silva is a very athletic and explosive young man. Both guys have really solid potential, both want a victory very badly and both are in the mix at 170. This will be a great fight.” Watch here for Rogan and Mike Goldberg’s preview: http://youtu.be/NOcL_loYN6s
UFC TONIGHT – TATE GUEST HOSTS, MCGREGOR INTERVIEW, PLUS THE FIRST-EVER UFC TONIGHT DRAFT
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Wednesday, April 30 (7:00 PM ET –note: moving to 8:00 PM ET on May 7)
- Talent: Kenny Florian, Chael Sonnen, Karyn Bryant, Ariel Helwani
- This Week: On UFC TONIGHT, women’s bantamweight contender Miesha Tate joins Kenny Florian and Chael Sonnen as a guest host. The group recaps UFC 172 and discusses the current state of the light heavyweight division. Then, the crew conducts the first-ever UFC TONIGHT draft. In addition, rising star Conor McGregor joins to discuss when he’ll return from his injury. Plus, special reports from Karyn Bryant and Insider Ariel Helwani.
THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER – SPOHN AND MONAGHAN FIGHT FOR SPOT IN SEMIS
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Wednesday, April 30 (10:00 PM ET)
- Talent: BJ Penn, Frankie Edgar, Dana White
- This Week:After losing the first fight of the competition, Frankie Edgar brings in famed jiu-jitsu black belt Renzo Gracie to work with his team. While Team Penn’s Daniel Spohn uses free time at the house to work on training techniques, Team Edgar preacher Todd Monaghan gathers the teams during down time to hold a sermon. Then, with a spot in the semis on the line, Spohn and Monaghan face off in the second preliminary fight.
UFC ULTIMATE INSIDER – FOX UFC SATURDAY REVIEW, PLUS LARKIN AND IAQUINTA PROFILES
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Sunday, May 4 (8:30 PM ET)
- Talent: Host Jon Anik
- This Week: Get an exclusive insider’s perspective on the FOX UFC SATURDAY event in Orlando from the incredible undercard action through the final, hard-hitting heavyweight title-eliminator. Next, Lorenz Larkin faced a childhood fraught with temptation, but has emerged to become one the middleweight division’s most electric fighters. Finally, following in the footsteps of UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, Long Island native Al Iaquinta has matured into one of the most promising contenders to ever emerge out of New York.
UFC FROM ALL ANGLES FEATURES FRANKIE EDGAR
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, Wednesday, May 7 (7:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Host Karyn Bryant
- This Week: Host Karyn Bryant sits down with UFC star Frankie Edgar to discuss his rise to greatness, his many historic bouts, and what he’s got planned for the future. From legendary bouts with BJ Penn and Gray Maynard, to the gut-wrenching defeats that inspired him to forge a new path in life and reinvent himself in the Octagon, UFC FROM ALL ANGLES gives you an in-depth look at one of the most popular fighters in MMA.
SMITH COULD EARN ANOTHER TITLE SHOT WITH IMPRESSIVE WIN AT GOLDEN BOY FIGHTS, SAYS MALIGNAGGI
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1 / FOX Deportes, Friday, May 2 (10:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Paulie Malignaggi, Beto Duran and Jessica Rosales
- This Week:Golden Boy Boxing kicks off a huge weekend with a tripleheader that includes two World Championship bouts just one night before “THE MOMENT: Floyd Mayweather vs. Marcos Maidana” takes place. In the 10-round super welterweight main event, Illinois contender Ryan “Dangerous” Davis (24-13-3, 9 KOs) faces Las Vegas’ own former World Champion Ishe “Sugar Shay” Smith (25-6, 11 KOs). FOX Sports boxing analyst Paulie Malignaggi believes Smith needs to perform to get the next title shot. “This card is the perfect lead-in to Mayweather-Maidana on Saturday, and with two of Floyd’s fighters in action, I know they’re ready to perform in front of the Vegas fans. Smith is hungry for another title shot, but he has to win impressively over Ryan Davis to keep his place in line.” Also on the card, rising lightweight star Mickey “The Spirit” Bey Jr. (19-1-1, 10 KOs) faces hard-hitting Mexican veteran Alan “Explosivo” Herrera (32-5, 21 KOs) in a 10-round matchup. In the television opener, Argentina’s Jesus Cuellar (23-1, 18 KOs) squares off with former World Champion Rico Ramos (23-3, 12 KOs) in a 12-round bout for Cuellar’s WBA Interim Featherweight World Title.
FOX SPORTS LIVE
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, nightly (11:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Jay Onrait, Dan O’Toole, Don Bell, Ryan Field, Charissa Thompson, Gary Payton, Jim Jackson, Andy Roddick, Gabe Kapler, Bill Reiter and Joel Klatt
NBA HALL OF FAMER GARY PAYTON: CLIPPERS WON’T HAVE A HARD TIME GETTING BACK TO BASKETBALL – In the wake of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver’s lifetime ban of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, FOX SPORTS LIVE panelists Gary Payton, Jim Jackson, Andy Roddick and Gabe Kapler discussed what’s next for the organization. Payton said the Clippers won’t have a hard time getting back on the court:
“I don’t think it should be hard right now. I think it should be off their backs. I think they should go out there now and just play for their fans, play for their team, play for their teammates. Knowing that the NBA and Adam Silver just did the right thing to get somebody out of the organization and out of the NBA and punish him for what he has done — that has no part in our lives, no part in sports, no part anywhere. He shouldn’t even be around. So, I don’t think it should be hard. I think they’re out there playing the way they want to play now.”
Click here for the full segment.
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, weekdays (6:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Mike Hill and Molly McGrath
- This Week: This week, Mike and Molly are joined by Jim Fox, Peter Schrager, Joel Klatt, Royce Clayton, Raja Bell, Warren Barton, Mario Melchiot and Kirk Morrison. Undefeated professional boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. joins via satellite on Thursday, May 1, and Luke Kuechley of the Carolina Panthers is on for a talkback on Friday, May 2.
CROWD GOES WILD
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, weekdays (5:00 PM ET); preempted on Friday, May 2
- Talent: Regis Philbin, Georgie Thompson, Jason Gay, Michael Kosta, Trevor Pryce and Katie Nolan. Guest panelist Malik Rose on Thursday, May 1
- Guests: Brett Forrest (author) on Wednesday, April 30
- ICYMI: In case you missed it, former Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand joined CROWD GOES WILD on Monday and talked about his long road of recovery from his devastating injury, if he would let a son play football and more. Click here to watch the full interview.
THE MIKE FRANCESA SHOW
- Network: FOX Sports 1, weekdays (1:00-4:00 PM ET) and FOX Sports 2, weekdays (4:00-6:30 PM ET); airs from 1:00-6:30 PM ET on FOX Sports 2 on Wednesday, April 30 and Friday, May 2; preempted on Thursday, May 1
- Talent: Mike Francesa