John, Patrick McEnroe Assess the Season to Date; Nadal, Maria, Murray & Serena to Defend Titles
In March, the ATP and WTA schedules focus on two events that draw top fields – the BNP Paribas Open from Indian Wells, Calif., and the Sony Open Tennis from Key Biscayne, Fla. – and ESPN will provide extensive coverage of each starting today, Thursday, March 6, with an expanded schedule on television and ESPN3. The 34.5 hours of television – also available on WatchESPN – includes the women’s and men’s championships from both events, an ESPN first for the Sony Open Tennis. In addition, the new multi-court presentation on ESPN3 starts the first day of action from each.
BNP Paribas Open, Indian Wells, Calif.
· ESPN3: multi-court offering daily March 6-16 providing all matches from the three main courts.
· TV and WatchESPN: 12 hours, begins Friday, March 14, and concludes with the Women’s and Men’s Championships on ESPN2 on Sunday, March 16.
· Chris Fowler, Darren Cahill, Mary Joe Fernandez, Pam Shriver
· Defending Champions: Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova
Sony Open Tennis, Key Biscayne, Fla.
· ESPN3: multi-court offering daily March 19-30 providing all matches from the three main courts.
· The TV schedule (22.5 hours) starts Wednesday, March 26, and continues through the Women’s Championship on ESPN2 (Sat., March 29) and the Men’s Championship (Sun., March 30) on ESPN.
· Chris Fowler and Cliff Drysdale will share play-by-play duties, working with analyst Darren Cahill, Brad Gilbert and Mary Joe Fernandez
· Defending Champions: Andy Murray, Serena Williams
ESPN’s John and Patrick McEnroe discuss the tennis season so far, who has caught their eye, and what they look for this month and beyond: http://bit.ly/1jWhOW5
WatchESPN will deliver all the live television action online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and streamed on televisions through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members, Apple TV and Roku.
ESPN3 is ESPN’s live multi-screen sports network, a destination that delivers thousands of exclusive sports events annually. It is accessible online at WatchESPN.com, on smartphones and tablets via the WatchESPN app and streamed on televisions through ESPN on Xbox LIVE to Gold members, Apple TV and Roku. The network is currently available to more than 85 million homes at no additional cost to fans who receive their high-speed Internet connection or video subscription from an affiliated service provider. The network is also available at no cost to approximately 21 million U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel via computers, smartphones and tablets connected to on-campus educational and on-base military broadband and Wi-Fi networks. ESPN3 carries thousands of hours of tennis annually, including all four Grand Slam events, plus ATP 1000 and 500 tournaments and WTA Premier Events, and the season-ending championships for both tours.
ESPN Tennis in March
|March 6 – 16||daylong||BNP Paribas Open – multi-court offering||ESPN3||LIVE|
|Fri, March 14||4:30 p.m.||BNP Paribas Open — Men’s Quarterfinal #3||ESPN2||LIVE|
|11:30 p.m.||BNP Paribas Open — Women’s Semifinal #2||ESPN2||LIVE|
|Sat, March 15||3 p.m.||BNP Paribas Open — Men’s Semifinals||ESPNEWS||LIVE|
|Sun, March 16||3 p.m.||BNP Paribas Open — Women’s Championship
|March 19 – 30||daylong||Sony Open Tennis – multi-court offering||ESPN3||LIVE|
|Wed, March 26||1 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Quarterfinals||ESPN2||LIVE|
(10 p.m. PT)
|Sony Open Tennis — Quarterfinal||ESPN2||Same-day|
|Thur, March 27||1 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Women’s SF #1, Men’s QF||ESPN2||LIVE|
|7 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Men’s QF, Women’s SF #2||ESPN2||LIVE|
|Fri, March 28||3 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Men’s Semifinal #1||ESPN2||LIVE|
|7 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Men’s Semifinal #2||ESPN||LIVE|
|Sat, March 29||1 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Women’s Championship||ESPN2||LIVE|
|Sun, March 30||2:30 p.m.||Sony Open Tennis — Men’s Championship||ESPN||LIVE|