91.8 million total unique visitors establishes new category high for month of October;
74.4 million mobile unique users and 5.7 billion minutes of mobile usage;
460 million video views; third most-streamed month ever for WatchESPN.
Driven by ESPN Fantasy Football and coverage of the NFL, College Football and MLB playoffs, ESPN reached 91.8 million unique visitors in the U.S. in October, the fourth largest total all-time in the sports category and a record for the month of October. ESPN now owns 14 of the top 15 all-time monthly unique visitor totals in the sports category.
Fans spent 9.2 billion minutes using ESPN digital properties, and ESPN accounted for 28.5 percent of all time spent on digital platforms in the sports category, 23 percent more than the No. 2 property.
ESPN attracted 1.0 billion total visits, more than the Nos. 2 and 3 sports properties combined and the fourth time ESPN has crossed the 1 billion visit threshold. No other sports property has ever reached that mark.
More results from the October comScore Multi-Platform report:
- ESPN’s 99.9 minutes per visitor was higher than any of the top 100 category properties.
- The ESPN.com site reached 73.7 million unique visitors across platforms over the course of the month.
- com recorded its largest monthly unique visitor total ever with 6.1 million.
- On mobile devices alone, 74.4 million unique users accessed ESPN content. Users spent 5.7 billion minutes with ESPN on mobile devices.
- 66 percent of ESPN’s unique users – 60.9 million people – exclusively accessed content on smartphones and tablets. 62 percent of all time spent with ESPN digital content was consumed by mobile device users.
- ESPN reached 17.3 million average daily unique users on smartphones, up 11 percent over last year, and 62 percent more than No. 2 Yahoo! Sports-NBC Sports Network (10.7 million).
- ESPN accounted for three of the top five sports apps on smartphones and tablets in terms of unique users in October, with the ESPN app topping the category (13.5 million), accompanied by No. 4 WatchESPN (8.7 million) and No. 5 ESPN Fantasy Football (7.5 million).
ESPN Digital Video:
- 9.0 million unique devices streamed WatchESPN content in October, up 39 percent from a year ago. Viewers spent 1.9 billion minutes with programming across all platforms (up 71 percent). October marked the third most-streamed month ever for WatchESPN. 1
- Fans watched 460.0 million ESPN digital video clips in October, up eight percent from a year ago. 1
1 Source: Adobe Analytics