ESPN College GameDay Built by The Home Depot – college football’s longest running and most celebrated pregame show – returns to the campus of Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich., for the fourth time in five years on Saturday, Sept. 12. The Emmy Award-winning show – airing this Saturday from 9-11:30 a.m. on ESPN from Munn Intramural Field, on the west side of Spartan Stadium – is the precursor for the No. 5 Michigan State vs. No. 7 Oregon Saturday Night Football on ABC presented by Wells Fargo tilt at 8 p.m.
Host Rece Davis – in his first season at the GameDay desk – is joined by analysts Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit, Desmond Howard and David Pollack, as well as contributors Samantha Ponder, Tom Rinaldi, George Whitfield and Gene Wojciechowski. Davis – filling in on play-by-play for Chris Fowler who is working the US Open – will pair with Herbstreit in the booth for the Michigan State-Oregon game, along with reporter Heather Cox. In her second season as resident DJ, Cait “Babi Mac” McMahan, continues to provide entertainment for fans on-site.
College Football Live will originate from the GameDay set on Friday at 2 p.m. on ESPN2 with Ponder, Howard and Pollack at the desk.
Reporter Marty Smith will have live reports on GameDay and SportsCenter from Ann Arbor, Mich., as Jim Harbaugh makes his home debut when the Michigan faces Oregon State (Noon, ABC).
- Oregon’s Vernon Adams — ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski reports on how the pressure of passing his Math final was about more than just the last obstacle in his journey from FCS standout to becoming Oregon’s starting QB.
- Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops — It’s said that football coaches speak a different language but Bob Stoops and Isao Hashizume of Japan found a common one that brought a national championship, Tom Rinaldi reports.
College GameDay Facts:
- Corso has picked the Ducks 17 times and is 13-4 in those games.
- Corso has picked the Spartans three times – and been correct twice. Corso is 5-1 when picking against Michigan State.
- GameDay is at the site of a Michigan State game for the 11th time, with the Spartans going 4-6, and for the 7th time since 2011 – the most in the Big Ten in that span (Ohio State – 5).
- The 19th time since 2009 that GameDay has originated from the site of an Oregon game – only Alabama (19) has been featured on the show more often in that span.
- GameDay has been on-campus 84 times for a top-10 matchup, with the home team winning all five occurrences last season. Corso was 4-1 in headgear picks in those games.
- Since the start of 2013, Oregon (6) and Michigan State (5) are 3rd and 4th behind Alabama and Florida State (7) for GameDay