ESPN Deportes was the highest-rated, most-watched cable network – English or Spanish – among Total Hispanics and Hispanics P18-49 on match day
The UEFA Champions League Final on Saturday, May 28, in which Real Madrid beat city rivals Atletico Madrid 5-3 in a dramatic match that went to penalties, is the most-watched event on ESPN Deportes ever, according to Nielsen. The match reached an average of 1.3 million Hispanic viewers P+2, delivering a 5.0 Hispanic household rating – surpassing the UEFA Euro 2012 final (Spain vs. Italy) that reached 1.1 million Hispanic viewers P+2 and a tie rating of 5.0 Hispanic household.
- ESPN Deportes channel on WatchESPN scored its highest event ever to date with the Madrid Derby. The match delivered 7.6 million total minutes viewed with 138,000 live unique viewers.
- ESPN Deportes was the highest-rated, most-watched cable network – English or Spanish – among total Hispanics, and Hispanics 18-49 on match day, Saturday, May 28. The day averaged a 1.0 Hispanic household rating and 242,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, surpassing May 27, 2009, which was at the top, by 11% in household rating, and 47% in viewership.
The extensive game-around-the-game coverage also showed ratings growth:
- Fuera de Juego’s post-game show scored its highest-rated, most-watched telecast thus far this year with an average 1.0 Hispanic household rating and 239,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, surpassing the post-show around Copa del Rey Final on May 22, 2016, which tapped an average 0.9 Hispanic household rating and 226,000 Hispanic household viewers P+2.
- The SportsCenter pre-match weekend edition reached an average 0.5 Hispanic household rating 86,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, becoming the second highest-rated SportsCenter edition thus far this year on the network, behind the special post-Super Bowl 50 show on February 7 that delivered a 0.8 Hispanic household rating.
- The record-breaking audience for the final follows a successful 2015-2016 season of UEFA Champions League on ESPN Deportes. In total, the network’s coverage of the league delivered a 1.0 Hispanic household rating, up 11% year-over-year – reaching an average of 222,000 Hispanic viewers P+2 – a 28% growth year-over-year.
ESPN Deportes’ Summer of Champions continues in June with the kickoff of the UEFA Euro 2016. Beginning June 10, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Deportes Radio will carry more than 200 hours of live coverage of UEFA EURO 2016 combined, including all 51 matches live on the English-language networks and on ESPN Deportes, the most comprehensive presentation to date of the European Football Championship in the United States.