MIAMI, Fla. – July 17, 2018 – Telemundo Deportes concluded its comprehensive and exclusive Spanish-language coverage of the network’s first-ever FIFA World Cup on Sunday, July 15, delivering unprecedented success across all platforms, according to data provided by Nielsen and Adobe Analytics.
VIEWERSHIP HIGHLIGHTS BY THE NUMBERS
(For complete details and executive quotes: bit.ly/2Llunxh)
- Telemundo Deportes’ complete presentation of all 64 2018 World Cup matches reached 36.6 million TV viewers, exceeding the Spanish-language reach for the 2010 tournament by +13% (32.3 million), and coming within 1.3 Million of the 2014 World Cup (37.9M) – despite fewest Latin American countries since 2006. The Total Audience Delivery (TAD) average was 2.3 million viewers per match with digital presentations providing a substantial 10% lift to the TAD.
- The Final match, a big 4-2 win by France over Croatia, posted a Total Audience Delivery average of 5.45 million across Telemundo, TelemundoDeportes.com, and the Telemundo En Vivo and NBC Sports apps, and a TV-only viewership average 5.32 million viewers.
- Hispanics make up 18% of the U.S. population, and yet Telemundo Deportes makes up 41% of the average World Cup viewership (average split for all games through Final, 1.9M vs. 2.8M).
- The World Cup posted the greatest 32-day performance in network history, reaching 57% of the U.S. Hispanic population, setting records for the network’s most-watched daytime for every day of the week.
- Telemundo ranked as the #1 Spanish-language network in Total Day viewership for 14 consecutive days among Adults 18-49 (June 15-June 28).
- Telemundo ranked as the #1 Spanish-language broadcast network in Total Day for the full tournament, outperforming its closest competition by +39% among total viewers (through July 12, based on latest available information).
- Telemundo’s Mexico-Germany Group Stage match on June 17 ranked as the second-most watched match of the entire World Cup tournament (only behind the English-language World Cup final), averaging 6.58 million viewers for the full program (10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. ET) and 7.13 million viewers for the two-hour match.
- Mexico-Germany marked the first time that a Spanish-language broadcast ranked among the top two in a World Cup tournament since 2002.
- Mexico-Germany posted as the most-watched World Cup Group Stage match in Spanish-language TV history.
- Telemundo’s 2018 World Cup the biggest livestream sports event and the 50 most-livestreamed games in Spanish language history.
- The Mexico-Sweden Group Stage finale peaked at 1.02 million concurrent livestreams – the most for any event in NBC Sports Digital history, excluding Super Bowls, and the only event other than the Super Bowl to hit the 1 million mark.
- Telemundo Deportes’ digital presentation reached 15.5 million unique users, generating a record-setting 130 million livestreams AND 1.96 BILLION live minutes viewed.
- In 56 Telemundo game windows, World Cup matches ranked #1 among Adults 18-49 in Spanish-language 93% of the time in the Top 14 Hispanic markets with Local People Meters (730 of 784 windows in those markets).
- Telemundo stations in Los Angeles (KVEA), Miami (WSCV) and Houston (KTMD) had the MOST World Cup viewership in their markets – REGARDLESS OF LANGUAGE – ranking #1 overall among Adults 18-49, 25-54 and total viewers.
Telemundo 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Live Match Viewership (based on two-hour game window only)
|Match, Date||TAD Average||Telemundo-only Avg. Viewership|
|Russia-Saudi Arabia, 6/14||1.54 million viewers||1.38 million viewers|
|Egypt-Uruguay, 6/15||1.32 million viewers||1.20 million viewers|
|Morocco-Iran, 6/15||1.07 million viewers||952,000 viewers|
|Portugal-Spain, 6/15||2.15 million viewers||1.86 million viewers|
|France-Australia, 6/16||548,000 viewers||492,000 viewers|
|Argentina-Iceland, 6/16||2.39 million viewers||2.22 million viewers|
|Peru-Denmark, 6/16||2.61 million viewers||2.45 million viewers|
|Croatia-Nigeria, 6/16||2.04 million viewers||1.94 million viewers|
|Costa Rica-Serbia, 6/17||1.74 million viewers||1.66 million viewers|
|Mexico-Germany, 6/17||7.42 million viewers||7.13 million viewers|
|Brazil-Switzerland, 6/17||4.56 million viewers||4.36 million viewers*|
|Sweden-South Korea, 6/18||820,000 viewers||703,000 viewers|
|Belgium-Panama, 6/18||1.83 million viewers||1.63 million viewers|
|Tunisia-England, 6/18||1.69 million viewers||1.48 million viewers|
|Colombia-Japan, 6/19||1.79 million viewers||1.52 million viewers|
|Poland-Senegal, 6/19||1.41 million viewers||1.21 million viewers|
|Russia-Egypt, 6/19||1.50 million viewers||1.27 million viewers|
|Portugal-Morocco, 6/20||1.52 million viewers||1.27 million viewers|
|Uruguay-Saudi Arabia, 6/20||1.68 million viewers||1.40 million viewers|
|Iran-Spain, 6/20||1.96 million viewers||1.64 million viewers|
|Denmark-Australia, 6/21||1.08 million viewers||916,000 viewers|
|France-Peru, 6/21||2.34 million viewers||1.97 million viewers|
|Argentina-Croatia, 6/21||2.58 million viewers||2.04 million viewers|
|Brazil-Costa Rica, 6/22||1.91 million viewers||1.57 million viewers|
|Nigeria-Iceland, 6/22||1.64 million viewers||1.35 million viewers|
|Serbia-Switzerland, 6/22||1.63 million viewers||1.41 million viewers|
|Belgium-Tunisia, 6/23||1.40 million viewers||1.27 million viewers|
|South Korea-Mexico, 6/23||7.19 million viewers||6.62 million viewers|
|Germany-Sweden, 6/23||3.75 million viewers||3.44 million viewers|
|England-Panama, 6/24||1.61 million viewers||1.51 million viewers|
|Japan-Senegal, 6/24||2.53 million viewers||2.39 million viewers|
|Poland-Colombia, 6/24||3.79 million viewers||3.55 million viewers|
|Uruguay-Russia, 6/25||1.93 million viewers||1.67 million viewers|
|Saudi Arabia-Egypt, 6/25||44,000 viewers||38,000 viewers|
|Iran-Portugal, 6/25||1.95 million viewers||1.67 million viewers|
|Spain-Morocco, 6/25||291,000 viewers||153,000 viewers|
|Australia-Peru, 6/26||1.70 million viewers||1.50 million viewers|
|Denmark-France, 6/26||114,000 viewers||81,000 viewers|
|Nigeria-Argentina, 6/26||2.88 million viewers||2.40 million viewers|
|Iceland-Croatia, 6/26||97,000 viewers||41,000 viewers|
|Mexico-Sweden, 6/27||5.23 million viewers||4.45 million viewers|
|South Korea-Germany, 6/27||196,000 viewers||151,000 viewers|
|Serbia-Brazil, 6/27||2.59 million viewers||2.15 million viewers|
|Switzerland-Costa Rica, 6/27||145,000 viewers||109,000 viewers|
|Senegal-Colombia, 6/28||2.28 million viewers||1.89 million viewers|
|Japan-Poland, 6/28||38,000 viewers||29,000 viewers|
|England-Belgium, 6/28||1.61 million viewers||1.36 million viewers*|
|Panama-Tunisia, 6/28||97,000 viewers||89,000 viewers|
|France-Argentina, 6/30||3.74 million viewers||3.52 million viewers|
|Uruguay-Portugal, 6/30||3.98 million viewers||3.82 million viewers|
|Spain-Russia, 7/1||3.65 million viewers||3.54 million viewers|
|Croatia-Denmark, 7/1||3.19 million viewers||3.12 million viewers|
|Mexico-Brazil, 7/2||5.52 million viewers||5.0 million viewers|
|Belgium-Japan, 7/2||1.75 million viewers||1.62 million viewers|
|Sweden-Switzerland, 7/3||1.39 million viewers||1.30 million viewers|
|Colombia-England, 7/3||2.97 million viewers||2.77 million viewers|
|Uruguay vs. France, 7/6||2.27 million viewers||2.08 million viewers|
|Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6||3.12 million viewers||2.90 million viewers|
|Sweden vs. England, 7/7||2.02 million viewers||1.94 million viewers|
|Russia vs. Croatia, 7/7||2.91 million viewers||2.80 million viewers|
|France vs. Belgium, 7/10||2.53 million viewers||2.32 million viewers*|
|England vs. Croatia, 7/11||2.96 million viewers||2.75 million viewers*|
|Belgium vs. England, 7/14||1.62 million viewers||1.57 million viewers|
|France vs. Croatia, 7/15||5.45 million viewers||5.32 million viewers|
|Average||2.27 million viewers||2.06 million viewers|
(*Includes NBCSN Simulcast)
Media Contact: Eva Mejicanos
firstname.lastname@example.org | M: 305.799.5310