5.2 Million Viewers Watch Kyle Busch Sweep and Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon Bid Farewell to Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Sunday’s Brickyard 400 Marks Most-Watched NASCAR Race from Indy since 2013, and +11% Gain vs. 2015
STAMFORD, Conn. – July 26, 2016 – NBCSN’s Sunday presentation of NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Indianapolis Motor Speedway averaged 5.2 million viewers and delivered a 3.1 HH rating, marking several consumption milestones, including NBCSN’s most-watched and highest-rated telecast on record.
Sunday’s Brickyard 400 viewership grew +11% vs. the same event last year (4.7 million). Viewership peaked between 6:15-6:30 p.m. ET with 6.1 million viewers and a 3.6 HH rating, as Kyle Busch took the checkered flag and became the first driver in NASCAR history to sweep both the Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series poles and victories in one weekend.
Other consumption highlights include:
- Live streaming of Sunday’s race via NBCSports.com and the NBC Sports app also set an all-time high, generating 5.2 million live minutes, up +93% vs. same event in 2015 and best race ever on NBC Sports’ live streaming platforms.
- Sunday’s Sprint Cup race stands as 2016’s best performing NASCAR race in all key streaming metrics including uniques, visits and starts.
- Sunday’s Brickyard 400 on NBCSN marks the most-watched NASCAR race from Indianapolis since 2013.
- The 2016 Brickyard 400 on NBCSN is the most-watched NASCAR Sprint Cup race presented on cable since the Nov. 2014 Championship on ESPN, a span of 36 events.
- Sunday’s presentation marks the second consecutive week of viewership growth for NASCAR Sprint Cup races on NBCSN.
- The Brickyard 400 was the most-watched sports program of the weekend across broadcast and cable, as well as the most-watched cable telecast of any genre.
- NBCSN was the #1 network overall among average viewers, Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54 in the race’s 3:30–7:00 p.m. ET window on Sunday.
- NASCAR Sprint Cup races currently hold the top five most-watched non-Olympic telecasts ever on NBCSN (chart below).
NBCSN’s Most-Watched, Non-Olympic Telecasts
|July 24, 2016||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Indianapolis||5.21 million|
|July 26, 2015||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Indianapolis||4.70 million|
|August 16, 2015||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Michigan||4.29 million|
|August 2, 2015||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Pocono||4.26 million|
|October 25, 2015||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Talladega||4.24 million|
|June 1, 2014||NHL Conf. Final (LA-Chi, Game 7)||4.14 million|
|June 17, 2013||NHL Stanley Cup Final (Chi-Bos, Game 3)||4.00 million|
|August 9, 2015||NASCAR Sprint Cup: Watkins Glen||3.98 million|
|June 15, 2013||NHL Stanley Cup Final (Bos-Chi, Game 2)||3.96 million|
|June 10, 2015||NHL Stanley Cup Final (TB-Chi, Game 4)||3.91 million|
–NBC SPORTS GROUP–