News and Sound Bites From Week 4 Edition of
NFL GAMEDAY MORNING
“If we continue to play this way, both offensively and defensively, we’re going to be hard to stop.” – Ravens QB Joe Flacco
“It’s always about revenge when they believe you can’t play anymore or they don’t want you.” – Marshall Faulk on Brett Favre facing Green Bay
“This was not a prayer being answered. This was a well-designed, perfectly executed play.” – Michael Irvin on QB Brett Favre’s game-winning pass to WR Greg Lewis last week
“They have the fastest receiving duo in the National Football League.” – Steve Mariucci on Bears WRs Devin Hester and Johnny Knox
“They miss Troy Polamalu. They miss his leadership on the field.” – Michael Irvin on the Steelers defense
NFL GameDay Morning, the FIRST pregame show on the air Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM ET with a new four-hour expanded format, taking viewers straight up to kickoff. Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, Marshall Faulk, Steve Mariucci, Jason La Canfora and hosts Spero Dedes and Stacey Dales bring fans the latest news, injury reports, pregame analysis and game previews.
‘Sunday Sit-Down’ – La Canfora Sits Down with Ravens QB Joe Flacco:
NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora sits down with Ravens QB Joe Flacco to discuss the Ravens’ recent success on offense, bringing balance to a team known for its defense:
“I’m going to play football the way I always have and that’s pretty darn good.” – Flacco on his success
“I feel like I belong here.” – Flacco on being the Ravens starting quarterback
“If anything, last year was tougher because it was my first year going through it.” – Flacco on the difference between his rookie season and his second season
“If we continue to play this way, both offensively and defensively, we’re going to be hard to stop.” – Flacco
“All of us offensive guys and the defense take pride in the fact that we have a good offense this year and can put points on the board.” – Flacco on the success of the offense
To view La Canfora’s entire interview with Flacco, please visit: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d8131ff9c/Joe-Flacco-interview
‘Super Bowl Journey,’ Week 4 Edition – Redskins TE Chris Cooley and His Mother Nancy Reflect on Her Battle With Cancer and Giants DE Osi Umenyiora on the Quarterback Sack
“She’s so tough. To see her fight through something like cancer was not a surprise to me at all. I’m really proud of her.” – Cooley on mother Nancy’s fight against breast cancer
“There’s absolutely nothing like it. You get around the corner and all of a sudden you see him standing right there and it’s like a prize.” – Umenyiora on sacking a quarterback
To view the Week 4 installment of Super Bowl Journey, please visit: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d8131d8c1/Super-Bowl-Journey-Beating-cancer
– part I
Quotes from NFL GameDay Morning:
“He is in the prime of his career.” – Steve Mariucci on Colts QB Peyton Manning
“He could have the best season of his career this year.” – Marshall Faulk on Colts QB Peyton Manning
“He just wants to establish accountability.” – Faulk on Seahawks head coach Jim Mora, Jr.
“He tries to overthrow. Mechanically, he doesn’t get himself smooth and comfortable.” – Joe Theismann on Raiders QB JaMarcus Russell
“The defensive line of the New England Patriots is the key to this game.” – Warren Sapp on Ravens-Patriots matchup
“It’s always about revenge when they believe you can’t play anymore or they don’t want you.” – Faulk on the Packers-Vikings matchup
“This was not a prayer being answered. This was a well-designed, perfectly executed play.” – Michael Irvin on QB Brett Favre’s game-winning pass to WR Greg Lewis last week vs. San Francisco
“You don’t panic after you win the Super Bowl.” – Faulk on the Pittsburgh Steelers
“They miss Troy Polamalu. They miss his leadership on the field.” – Irvin on the Steelers quarterback
“Everything is on the rise like it should be for a 4th-year quarterback. I like this guy and he’s making progress.” – Mariucci on Redskins QB Jason Campbell
“They have the fastest receiving duo in the National Football League.” – Mariucci on Bears WRs Devin Hester and Johnny Knox
“He will be an integral part of this offense as the season goes on.” – Faulk on Colts WR Pierre Garcon
“Power, strength, leverage. That’s what you have to have to hunt in this league every week and (Elvis) Dumervil does it with the best of them.” – Sapp on Broncos LB Elvis Dumervil being one of the league’s top pass rushers
“He’s Eli. He’s not ‘Peyton’s little brother’ anymore.” – Faulk on Giants QB Eli Manning
“I see why they’re ‘Sleepless in Seattle.’” – Sapp on Seahawks injury concerns
“(This matchup) reminds me of Deion (Sanders) and Jerry Rice. You have a shutdown corner against a guy that’s physical, can get up the field and score a lot of points.” – Faulk on matchup between Raiders CB Nnamdi Asomugha vs. Texans WR Andre Johnson
“Cedric Benson has been resurrected in Cincinnati.” – Mariucci on Bengals RB Cedric Benson
“They don’t have the weapons on offense and they’re getting it done. They’re scoring enough points and playing the game the way it’s supposed to be played. You have to tip your hat off to Samurai Mike (Singletary). Samurai Mike has them believing in whatever he’s telling them.” – Sapp on the San Francisco 49ers being contenders this season
“They are still finding out about each other…it looks like both just don’t have confidence in one another.” – Irvin on WR Terrell Owens and the Bills offense
La Canfora’s News Reports:
- The NFL and the NFLPA are taking baby steps in negotiations regarding the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Both sides met last week, and by all accounts it was a positive meeting and there are good signs coming out of it, however they are still just dealing with the non-economic issues and haven’t gotten to the ‘meat’ of the talks. History has shown that discussions regarding the central issues do not occur until the 11th hour. In discussions with team presidents, executives and player agents, there is a strong sentiment that 2010 is going to be an uncapped year. We’ll see how much progress they make in the next 3-4 months, but so far baby steps, very incremental at this point.
- Bills RB Marshawn Lynch is now eligible to play after serving his suspension and will be in Buffalo’s game plan along with RB Fred Jackson. The Bills even have packages where both will be on the field at the same time. Lynch was very contrite and came to the coaches because he felt bad about his off-field transgressions and was worries he was losing his role in the offense. However, the Bills coaches told him they liked his skill set; he was still a productive part of the team and would get carries as well. Jackson’s strengths in the screen game and as a receiver in the slot are some wrinkles that Lynch doesn’t have and make both running backs complement each other.
For additional thoughts from La Canfora, check out his blog at http://blogs.nfl.com/category/jason-la-canfora/.
On NFL.com the following video clips from NFL GameDay Morning are available for viewing:
Following the Jets: Throughout the years Jets fans talk about collapses, curses, and now hope? Features interviews with Fireman Ed, WFAN-NY’s Joe Benigno, New York Times columnist Dave Anderson and former Jets DL Joe Klecko.
- NFL GameDay Goes Pink: NFL Network shows its support of the league-wide “A Crucial Catch” campaign for the fight against breast cancer with all Sunday’s on-air talent wearing pink ties and/or tops throughout the entire NFL GameDay programming slate. For more information on “A Crucial Catch” campaign, visit: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d812e36ef&template=with-video&confirm=true
- NFL RedZone – Bringing Fans Every Touchdown From Every Game: NFL RedZone is hosted by Scott Hanson from the new state-of-the-art NFL RedZone studio at NFL Network’s headquarters in Los Angeles and debuts today at 1:00 PM ET/10 AM PT. Produced by NFL Network, NFL RedZone whips around every NFL game on Sunday afternoons delivering the touchdowns and most exciting moments as they happen and in high definition. When a team goes inside the 20-yard line, fans see the crucial plays live. The channel keeps fans up-to-date in real time, switching from game to game with live look-ins, highlights and a chance to see every important play. NFL RedZone is available on AT&T, Comcast, DISH Network, RCN, Verizon and other distributors. For more information visit: http://redzonetv.nfl.com/?icampaign=redzone_mb
- Sunday Night Football Extra Returns: San Diego Chargers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers will stream live on Sunday Night Football Extra on NFL.com and NBCSports.com. Complementing that stream will be a number of extra features to enrich the viewing experience including additional camera angles, in-game highlights, picture-in-picture technology, live statistics and other interactive elements. Sunday Night Football Extra will also include in-game studio updates from the NBC Football Night in America team and NFL Network talent.
NFL GameDay Morning begins the NFL Network schedule on Sundays, which will now be called “NFL GameDay.” Following NFL GameDay Morning will be NFL GameDay StatZone at 1:00 PM ET, NFL GameDay Scoreboard at 4:00 PM ET, NFL GameDay Highlights at 7:30 PM ET and NFL GameDay Final at 11:30 PM ET.
NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log on to www.nfl.com/nflnetwork. NFL.com is the exclusive Internet home of NFL videos and NFL Network.
– NFL NETWORK –