Seahawks Face Undefeated Bengals on FOX NFL Sunday
MLB Postseason Underway – ALDS Coverage Begins Thursday on FS1
Nation’s Top Four College Football Teams Play on FOX Sports Family of Networks This Saturday
SEAHAWKS TRAVEL TO QUEEN CITY TO TAKE ON UNDEFEATED BENGALS ON FOX —
FOX NFL Week 5 action features singleheader coverage of five games this Sunday, Oct. 11 (1:00 PM ET). In the early window, Russell Wilson and the Seahawks soar into Cincinnati to take on the 4-0 Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium. Joe Buck, Hall of Famer Troy Aikman and FOX NFL sideline reporter Erin Andrews have the call. Also at 1:00 PM, the undefeated Atlanta Falcons take on the Washington Redskins.
FOX Sports’ NFL studio coverage begins each Sunday with FOX NFL KICKOFF at 11:00 AM ET on local FOX stations with host Charissa Thompson, analysts Champ Bailey, Colin Cowherd, Randy Moss, Dave Wannstedt and contributor Cooper Manning. This week Manning joins the panel in-studio and presents his “hard-hitting” sit down with Cam Newton and as well as “Best Of” from his earlier interviews this season.
FOX NFL SUNDAY immediately follows at 12:00 PM ET with co-hosts Terry Bradshaw and Curt Menefee alongside analysts Howie Long, Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, insider Jay Glazer and rules analyst Mike Pereira. This week, Erin Andrews travels to Cincinnati to meet with Andy Dalton and A.J. Green to find out how the undefeated Bengals plan to keep the momentum going and FOX NFL SUNDAY profiles the latest weapon to emerge out of Atlanta, running back Devonta Freeman.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11
GAME PLAY-BY-PLAY/ANALYST/SIDELINE COV. TIME (ET)
New Orleans Saints at Philadelphia Eagles Thom Brennaman, Charles Davis 11% 1:00PM
& Tony Siragusa
Lincoln Financial Field – Philadelphia, Pa.
MARKETS INCLUDE: Birmingham, Houston, Memphis, New Orleans, Philadelphia
Chicago Bears at Kansas City Chiefs Sam Rosen, John Lynch 13% 1:00PM
& Pam Oliver
Arrowhead Stadium – Kansas City, Mo.
MARKETS INCLUDE: Chicago, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Tulsa
Seattle Seahawks at Cincinnati Bengals Joe Buck, Troy Aikman 39% 1:00PM
& Erin Andrews
Paul Brown Stadium – Cincinnati, Ohio
MARKETS INCLUDE: Albuquerque, Boston, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dayton, Denver, Hartford, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Louisville, New York, Orlando, Pittsburgh, Portland, Providence, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle
Washington Redskins at Atlanta Falcons Chris Myers, Ronde Barber 22% 1:00PM & Jennifer Hale
Mercedes-Benz Stadium – Atlanta, Ga.
MARKETS INCLUDE: Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, Fort Myers, Greensboro, Greenville, Knoxville, Miami, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Raleigh, Richmond, San Antonio, Washington, West Palm Beach
Arizona Cardinals at Detroit Lions Justin Kutcher, Daryl Johnston 14% 4:05PM & Holly Sonders
Ford Field – Detroit, Mich.
MARKETS INCLUDE: Baltimore, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Jacksonville, Milwaukee, Nashville, Phoenix, St. Louis, Tampa
THE BASEBALL POSTSEASON IS UPON US; RANGERS VS. BLUE JAYS, ASTROS VS. ROYALS HEATS UP THURSDAY ON FS1; PIERZYNSKI DEBUTS IN BROADCAST BOOTH
- Network/When: FS1, FOX Deportes, FOX Sports GO, Thursday, Oct. 8
- Texas Rangers at Toronto Blue Jays: Kenny Albert, Tom Verducci, Harold Reynolds & Ken Rosenthal
- Houston Astros at Kansas City Royals: Matt Vasgersian, John Smoltz, AJ Pierzynski & Jon Paul Morosi
- ALDS on FS1: The network’s ALDS pregame is hosted by Kevin Burkhardt, who is joined by 17-time All-Star and three-time World Series champion Pete Rose and Hall of Famer and two-time AL MVP Frank Thomas in studio from the FOX Network center in Los Angeles. FOX Deportes covers the ALDS exclusively with pregame shows and expert analysis from retired Los Angeles pitcher Duaner Sanchez. Joining Sanchez on the call are commentators Francisco X. Rivera and Carlos Alvarez. FOX Deportes’ digital platforms supplement efforts through social media channels and provide additional coverage on FOXDeportes.com.
- AJ Enters Booth: FS1 welcomes World Series champion and current catcher for the Atlanta Braves, AJ Pierzynski to the broadcast booth where he will debut as a game analyst alongside Hall of Famer John Smoltz and play-by-play man Matt Vasgersian. Pierzynski joined FOX’s coverage of the MLB Postseason in 2011-2013 as a pregame analyst.
2015 AMERICAN LEAGUE DIVISION SERIES
ON FS1/FOX DEPORTES
All Times Eastern
DATE ON AIR SERIES SITE NETWORKS
Oct. 8 2:30 PM ALDS Pregame LA FS1
3:30 PM Rangers @ Blue Jays Toronto FS1/FOX Deportes
7:00 PM ALDS Pregame LA FS1
7:30 PM Astros @ Royals Kansas City FS1/FOX Deportes
Oct. 9 3:00 PM ALDS Pregame LA FS1
3:30 PM Astros @ Royals Kansas City FS1/FOX Deportes
Oct. 11 7:30 PM ALDS Pregame LA FS1
8:00 PM Blue Jays @ Rangers Arlington FS1/FOX Deportes
Oct. 12 TBD ALDS Pregame LA FS1
TBD Blue Jays @ Rangers* Arlington FS1/FOX Deportes
TBD ALDS Pregame LA FS1
TBD Royals @ Astros* Houston FS1/FOX Deportes
Oct. 14 TBD ALDS Pregame LA FS1
TBD Rangers @ Blue Jays* Toronto FS1/FOX Deportes
TBD ALDS Pregame LA FS1
TBD Astros @ Royals* Kansas City FS1/FOX Deportes
* If necessary
NATION’S TOP FOUR TEAMS PLAY ON FOX SPORTS FAMILY OF NETWORKS THIS SATURDAY
- No. 3 Baylor at Kansas, FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (12:00 PM ET), Tim Brando and Spencer Tillman
- Middle Tennessee at WKU, FOX Sports Regional Networks & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (12:00 PM ET), Brendan Burke, Ben Leber and Christian Steckel
- Maryland at No. 1 Ohio State, BTN & BTN2Go, Saturday, Oct. 10 (12:00 PM ET), Eric Collins, Glen Mason and Rick Pizzo
- Rice at Florida Atlantic, FOX College Sports & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (2:30 PM ET), Mike Morgan, JC Pearson and Steffi Sorensen
- Iowa State at Texas Tech, FOX Sports Regional Networks & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (3:30 PM ET), Mark Followill, Brian Baldinger and Lesley McCaslin
- No. 13 Northwestern at No. 18 Michigan, BTN & BTN2Go, Saturday, Oct. 10 (3:30 PM ET), Kevin Kugler, Matt Millen and Lisa Byington
- Oregon State at Arizona, FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (4:00 PM ET), Joe Davis, Brady Quinn and Kris Budden
- No. 2 TCU at K-State, FOX & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (7:30 PM ET), Gus Johnson, Joel Klatt and Molly McGrath
- No. 4 Michigan State at Rutgers, BTN & BTN2Go, Saturday, Oct. 10 (8:00 PM ET), Cory Provus, Chuck Long and J Leman
- This Week: The top four teams in the nation are all in action on the FOX Sports family of networks on Saturday, Oct. 10, highlighted by No. 2 TCU at K-State in prime time on FOX broadcast network (7:30 PM ET). No 3 Baylor visits Kansas on FS1 (12:00 PM ET), and BTN has No. 1 Ohio State against Maryland (12:00 PM ET) and No. 4 Michigan State at Rutgers (8:00 PM ET), plus what is arguably the top game of this weekend’s schedule as No. 13 Northwestern faces No. 18 Michigan.
FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL PREGAME PROFILES TCU’S HEISMAN HOPEFUL QB TREVONE BOYKIN
- Network/When: FOX & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (7:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Host Kevin Burkhardt with analysts Matt Leinart and Dave Wannstedt
- This Week: Kevin Burkhardt fills the FOX COLLEGE FOOTBALL PREGAME host seat on Saturday while Rob Stone covers the CONCACAF CUP, sitting alongside analysts Matt Leinart and Dave Wannstedt. This week, the program looks at Heisman hopefully TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin through the eyes of his teammates, and Leinart gives his top five candidates for college football’s top individual award.
KATIE NOLAN TAKLES GREG HARDY’S LATEST COMMENTS AND MORE IN TONIGHT’S EPISODE OF GARBAGE TIME
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Wednesday, Oct. 7 (12:00 AM ET)
- Talent: Katie Nolan
- This Week: On tonight’s episode of GARBAGE TIME WITH KATIE NOLAN, Katie addresses recent comments from Dallas Cowboys defensive end Greg Hardy, the media’s response – good and bad – and addresses her continued frustration with this storyline as a female fan and media member herself. Also on tonight’s show, Matt Walsh from “Veep” stops by to talk about his new movie and helps Katie practice her skills as a serious journalist.
FOX SPORTS LIVE – NIGHTLY MLB PLAYOFF HIGHLIGHTS AND RECAPS, ALDS POSTGAME INTEGRATION THURSDAY, NFL INJURY UPDATES AND NEWS, THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL POSTGAME COVERAGE, USA-MEXICO CONCACAF CUP POST-MATCH INTEGRATION SATURDAY
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, nightly (11:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Jay Onrait, Dan O’Toole, Ryan Field, Jenny Taft.
- This Week:
- The Major League Baseball postseason began Tuesday night with AL Wild Card game and opening-round Division Series games begin Thursday night. FOX Sports presents the American League Division Series in 2015, featuring live game telecasts of the Texas/Toronto and Houston/Kansas City contests. FOX SPORTS LIVE will immediately follow some of those evening games, including after Game 1 of the Astros/Royals showdown on Thursday night, offering immediate reaction and analysis, press conferences and highlights.
- Friday night’s FOX SPORTS LIVE: Countdown to Kickoff airs at 12:00 AM ET. Two-time All-American and Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart joins Clay Travis, Petros Papadakis, Stewart Mandel and George Wrighster, previewing all of the weekend’s biggest matchups and providing insights in analysis in advance of Saturday’s games. This week’s show is highlighted by Travis’ exclusive sit-down interview with Republican presidential candidate and college football fan Jeb Bush.
- Saturday’s show follows the highly-anticipated USA-Mexico CONCACAF Cup match at the Rose Bowl. Rob Stone hosts postgame coverage and is joined by Alexi Lalas, Eric Wynalda, Brad Friedel and Mariano Trujillo for immediate analysis and reaction.
THE HERD – MLB ANALYSTS FRANK THOMAS AND PETE ROSE IN STUDIO THURSDAY AND FRIDAY FOR PLAYOFF PREVIEWS, CLIPPERS FORWARD GLEN DAVIS ALSO IN STUDIO THURSDAY
- Network/When: FOX Sports 1, weekdays (12:00 – 3:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Colin Cowherd, Kristine Leahy.
- Show Description: An entertaining three-hour sports talk program led by one of the most thought-provoking and outspoken hosts in the country, Colin Cowherd’s nationally syndicated FOX Sports Radio program is simulcast weekdays on FS1. Joined by a panel of daily contributors that includes Kristine Leahy, Cowherd covers all aspects of the sporting landscape, providing his unique perspective on the biggest stories, in addition to interviewing a wide-array of notable guests.
- This Week:
- Thursday’s show includes an in-studio visit from Hall of Famer and FOX Sports MLB analyst Frank Thomas. Thomas joins The Herd to preview the playoff bracket, including Thursday night’s American League Division Series Game One on FS1. Also joining the show is Los Angeles Clippers forward Glen Davis, who comes in studio to set the stage for the looming NBA season as the Clippers enter the starting blocks as one of the contenders in the Western Conference.
- Other guests for Thursday and Friday’s show include Colin’s weekly visit with NFL Films’ Greg Cosell on Thursday and FOX NFL insider Jay Glazer’s regular in-studio appearance on Friday.
- Friday’s show is also highlighted by an in-studio visit from FOX Sports analyst and all-time MLB hits leader Pete Rose. Part of FOX Sports’ coverage of the postseason, Rose lends insights into each series’ best matchups and recounts memorable moments from his own career with Colin.
MEXICO BATTLES THE UNITED STATES IN CONCACAF CUP WINNER-TAKE-ALL PLAYOFF
- COUNTDOWN TO THE CONCACAF CUP Preview Show, FS1 & FS GO, Friday, Oct. 9 (7:30 PM ET)
- CONCACAF CUP Pregame, FS1 & FS GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (8:00 PM ET)
- CONCACAF CUP: Mexico vs. USA, FS1 & FS GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (9:30 PM ET)
- Talent: Play-by-play announcer John Strong calls the match with analysis from former USMNT midfielder Stu Holden. Grant Wahl reports from the U.S. sideline with Francisco X. Rivera reporting on the Mexican side. Rob Stone hosts pregame coverage on Friday and Saturday live from the Rose Bowl in Pasadena with comprehensive analysis from a formidable panel featuring U.S. Soccer Hall of Famers Alexi Lalas and Eric Wynalda as well as retired USMNT and Tottenham goalkeeper Brad Friedel and former Mexican National Team defender Mariano Trujillo. Also contributing to the shows are Wahl, reporter Julie Stewart-Binks and three-time Emmy Award-winning broadcaster Fernando Fiore who makes his English-language television debut.
- This Week: FS1 kicks off its coverage of the CONCACAF CUP, Saturday night’s one-match winner-take-all playoff between Mexico and the United States, with an hour-long preview show on Friday, Oct. 9, COUNTDOWN TO THE CONCACAF CUP. The following night, with kickoff at 9:30 PM ET, a special 90-minute pregame show begins at 8:00 PM ET, from the Rose Bowl as the two teams prepare for their quest to represent the region in the prestigious 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup. The Mexico-U.S. showdown marks the beginning of FOX Sports’ Road to Russia and the network’s coverage of FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA 2018.
FINAL 2016 UEFA EURO QUALIFIERS TO DECIDE TOURNAMENT BERTHS ON FOX SPORTS; Group Leaders Germany, England and Italy in Action
|MATCH DAY 9|
|Thursday, Oct. 8 (ET)||Match||Network|
|2:30 PM||Scotland vs. Poland||FS2|
|2:30 PM||Romania vs. Finland||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:45 PM||Hungary vs. Faroe Islands||FOX Soccer 2Go|
|5:00 PM||International Friendly: France vs. Armenia||FOX Soccer Plus|
|Friday, Oct. 9||Match||Network|
|2:30 PM||England vs. Estonia||FS2|
|2:30 PM||Liechtenstein vs. Sweden||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:45 PM||Slovenia vs. Lithuania||FOX Soccer 2Go|
|2:45 PM||Montenegro vs. Austria||FOX Soccer 2Go|
|Switzerland vs. San Marino
COUNTDOWN TO THE CONCACAF CUP
|FOX Soccer Plus
|Saturday, Oct. 10||Match||Network|
|11:45 AM||Kazakhstan vs. Netherlands||FS2|
|11:45 AM||Norway vs. Malta||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:30 PM||Czech Republic vs. Turkey||FOX Soccer Plus|
|12:00 PM||Iceland vs. Latvia||FOX Soccer 2Go|
|Israel vs. Cyprus
CONCACAF CUP PREGAME: Mexico vs. USA
Mexico vs. USA
|FOX Soccer Plus
|MATCH DAY 10|
|Sunday, Oct. 11||Match||Network|
|11:30 AM||UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifiers Pregame||FS1, FS2, Plus|
|12:00 PM||Finland vs. Northern Ireland||FS1|
|12:00 PM||Greece vs. Hungary||FS2|
|12:00 PM||Faroe Islands vs. Romania||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:30 PM||Germany vs. Georgia||FS1|
|2:30 PM||Gibraltar vs. Scotland||FS2|
|Monday, Oct. 12||Match||Network|
|11:45 AM||Sweden vs. Moldova||FS2|
|2:30 PM||Lithuania vs. England||FS2|
|2:30 PM||Luxembourg vs. Slovakia||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:45 PM||Belarus vs. FYR Macedonia||FOX Soccer 2Go|
|Tuesday, Oct. 13||Match||Network|
|2:00 PM||UEFA Euro 2016 Qualifiers Pregame||FS1, FS2, Plus|
|2:30 PM||Italy vs. Norway||FS1|
|2:30 PM||Belgium vs. Israel||FS2|
|2:30 PM||Turkey vs. Iceland||FOX Soccer Plus|
|2:45 PM||Bulgaria vs. Azerbaijan||FOX Soccer 2Go|
- Talent: Ian Joy hosts UEFA Euro Qualifying coverage on Sunday, Oct. 11 prior to both matches of the FS1 doubleheader and again Tuesday, Oct. 13 for Italy-Norway, alongside a rotation of analysts including Stuart Holden, Warren Barton, Mario Melchiot and Cobi Jones.
- This Week: FOX Sports wraps up its extensive coverage of the 2016 UEFA European Championship Qualifiers starting Thursday, Oct. 8 through Tuesday, Oct. 13, across multiple platforms. The jam-packed soccer lineup across six days features 26 UEFA EURO qualifying matches, an international friendly and the all-important Mexico-U.S. CONCACAF Cup playoff. All matches on FS1 and FS2 are available for live and on-demand streaming via the FOX Sports GO app and online at FOXSportsGO.com. All 28 matches listed are also available on FOX Soccer 2Go.
UFC TONIGHT: CORMIER RECAPS HIS EPIC TITLE DEFENSE AT UFC 192, PLUS NORTHCUTT INTERVIEW AND MORE
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Wednesday, Oct. 7 (8:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Kenny Florian, Daniel Cormier, Karyn Bryant, Ariel Helwani
- This Week: This week, host Kenny Florian is joined by co-host Daniel Cormier who recounts his epic battle vs. Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 192 last weekend. The crew catches up rising star Sage Northcutt. Heavyweight boxer Gerald Washington talks about his upcoming headlining PBC fight. Karyn Bryant and Ariel Helwani add reports.
THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER: JUST DO SOMETHING
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Wednesday, Oct. 7 (10:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Conor McGregor, Urijah Faber, Dana White
- This Week: Last episode’s loser struggles with the agonizing pain of defeat while his teammates console him. Then, coach Conor McGregor goes back to the gym to train his fighters. Having a very clear idea of how the next fight will unfold, Conor devotes his practice to mat exercises and grappling drills. Meanwhile, during Team USA practice, coach Urijah Faber expresses concern over his next fighter’s abilities, but works hard to get him ready. American Chris Gruetzemacher reveals that he is unhappy and ready to be done with the competition. In the fourth prelim, both fighters give it their all. Finally, the winning coach picks the next matchup, which promises to be a fierce stand-up battle.
UFC ULTIMATE INSIDER: JEDRZEJCZYK FIRST PERSON, PLUS DETROIT PISTONS UFC CROSSTRAINING
- Network/When: FS2 & FOX Sports GO, Sunday, Oct. 11 (9:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Megan Olivi
- This Week: Watch an exclusive first-person account of the week and championship performance that turned Poland’s strawweight striker Joanna Jedrzejczyk into a worldwide sensation. As the Detroit Pistons ready for the NBA regular season, they journey to Las Vegas for a hard hitting MMA mini-camp with UFC stars Forrest Griffin, Alexander Gustafsson and Stefan Struve at the Ultimate Fighter Gym. Plus, UFC elite illuminate one of the most crucial relationships in all of sports with their cornermen.
PREMIER BOXING CHAMPIONS’ TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS FEATURES
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Tuesday, Oct. 13 (9:00 PM ET)
- Talent: TBD
- This Week: Premier Boxing Champions’ TOE-TO-TOE TUESDAYS is headlined by a heavyweight battle between Gerald “El Gallo Negro” Washington (16-0, 11 KOs) and Amir “Hardcore” Mansour (22-1, 16 KOs) live from the Little Creek Casino Resort in Shelton, Washington. Also featured is super welterweight contender Phil Lo Greco (26-2, 14 KOs) facing Pablo “Sepulturero” Munguia (21-8, 12 KOs) in a 10-round affair and hard-hitting welterweight Wale “Lucky Boy” Omotoso (25-2, 21 KOs) who competes in a 10-round bout.
NASCAR RACEDAY LIVE FROM CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEWDAY
- Network/When: FS2 & FOX Sports GO, Saturday, Oct. 10 (4:00 PM ET)
- Talent: Host John Roberts; analysts Larry McReynolds and Kenny Wallace; reporters Andrew Doud and Kaitlyn Vincie
- This Week: The 12-driver Contender Round of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup kicks off Saturday night at Charlotte Motor Speedway. NASCAR RACEDAY offers live interviews with several of the championship contenders, including defending champ Kevin Harvick, who triumphed in a must-win scenario last week at Dover to advance in the Chase, and Joey Logano. In addition, the RACEDAY panel examines a variety of issues, including which of the four Chase rounds is most crucial, Harvick’s clinch wins in three of the last five Chase races and off-track skirmishes that took place at Charlotte last year.
NASCAR RACE HUB
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Wednesday, Oct. 7 (6:00 PM ET); Tuesday, Oct. 13 and Thursday, Oct. 15 (6:00 PM ET); pre-empted Thursday, Oct. 8, Monday, Oct. 12 and Wednesday, Oct. 14
- Talent: Co-hosts Adam Alexander and Danielle Trotta; analysts Larry McReynolds, Jeff Hammond, Ray Dunlap and Wally Dallenbach; reporters Alan Cavanna, Andrew Doud and Kaitlyn Vincie
- This Week: On Wednesday, Oct. 7, NASCAR Hall of Famer and Motor Racing Network Racing (MRN) analyst Rusty Wallace is live in-studio.
WEDNESDAY’S NASCAR RACE HUB SPECIAL REUNITES HALL-OF-FAMER JUNIOR JOHNSON AND CELEBRATED WRITER TOM WOLFE 50 YEARS AFTER LEGENDARY ESQUIRE ARTICLE NASCAR RACE HUB reunites Junior Johnson, one of NASCAR’s biggest icons, and author Tom Wolfe, one of the greatest writers of the 20th Century, in a short film premiering Wednesday, Oct. 7 (6:00 PM ET) on FS1. The Last American Hero is Junior Johnson. Yes! is the third of four episodes in a short-film series under the “Beyond the Wheel” banner airing on NASCAR RACE HUB and produced by NASCAR Productions.
The Last American Hero is Junior Johnson. Yes! pays homage to the 1965 landmark Esquire article written by Wolfe that introduced the country to stock car racing, the New South and one of NASCAR’s most infamous outlaw heroes, Johnson. In the film, Johnson and Wolfe are reunited at Wolfe’s home in the upper east side of New York City in a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the story’s publication. Their meeting in New York marked the first time the two have been together for an extended period of time since Wolfe immersed himself in the racer’s world five decades ago.
WOLFE FROM THE LAST AMERICAN HERO IS JUNIOR JOHNSON. YES!: “When I finally got a look at North Wilkesboro (N.C.), where Junior (Johnson) lived, I realized this was something that was real Southern … I was dressed fairly low-rent by New York standards, but I was an alien creature when I got there.”
DARRELL WALTRIP, FOX NASCAR ANALYST AND THREE-TIME NASCAR SPRINT CUP SERIES CHAMPION DRIVER FOR JOHNSON: “When Tom Wolfe wrote that story, most people didn’t think about race car drivers as heroes. They considered them a bunch of moonshine-running Southerners with no talent — not the highly regarded athletes many of them are today. The article really opened people’s eyes to the fact that they’re not only great drivers but also characters with amazing and entertaining life experiences. Junior (Johnson) was The Last American Hero. He made and ran moonshine, went to jail, got out and became successful in spite of all of it. Junior embodied the great American success story.
“Junior did so much for so many people. Richard Childress, for example, wouldn’t be in racing today if it weren’t for Junior, and a number of others fall into that category. Junior was willing to help anybody – heck, he helped me. He’d loan other teams and drivers his cars, engines and crews. The man has a huge heart and has always been very charitable. At the same time, he demanded respect. Of all the things he said to me over the years, one of the most impactful was when I first went to drive for him. Junior told me, ‘Boy, here we work our hands; not our mouths.’ And I kept that in mind when I worked for him. When he spoke, you better listen.”
FIM MOTOGP™ WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
TEAMMATES BATTLE FOR TITLE AS MOTOGP HEADS TO MOTEGI FOR MOTUL GRAND PRIX OF JAPAN
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Sunday, Oct. 11 (1:00 AM ET)
- Talent: Jonathan Green, Nick Harris, Matt Birt, Dylan Gray
- This Week: Legendary rider Valentino Rossi (263 points) sits atop the FIM MOTOGP WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP point standings as the series heads to 14-turn, 2.98-mile Twin Ring Motegi for the Motul Grand Prix of Japan. Rossi, riding the No. 46 Movistar Yamaha, is trying to hold off the charge of Factory Yamaha teammate and former champion, Jorge Lorenzo, who trails Rossi by just 14 points. Built by Honda as the ultimate test facility in August 1997, the Motegi road circuit became home to MotoGP in 2000.
RED BULL AIR RACE FLIES THROUGH DALLAS AT FIRST OF TWO U.S. STOPS
- Network/When: FS1 & FOX Sports GO, Sunday, Oct. 11 (10:00 AM ET)
- Talent: Nick Fellows, Mike Mangold
- This Week: The RED BULL AIR RACE CHAMPIONSHIP moves into its decisive phase to crown a champion, with Australian Matt Hall hot on the heels of British leader Paul Bonhomme. Hall, a former Royal Australian Air Force “top gun” fighter pilot who flew missions in Iraq, is aiming to keep the pressure on Bonhomme at Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth, after beating the two-time world champion from Britain by a fraction of a second at the last race in Austria. The Australian’s victory was worth 12 championship points and turned the overall championship into a dogfight, with Bonhomme (55 points) clinging to a shrinking lead over Hall (50 points). “With only two races left this season, every point counts in this tight battle for the Air Race crown,” says FS1 analyst Mike Mangold.