ESPN Selects Six 2009 Big Ten College Football Telecasts
ESPN has selected six of its 2009 Big Ten Conference college football games for Saturday telecasts on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2, highlighted by two rematches of memorable contests from last year:
- Defending conference champion Penn State will host Iowa – the only team to beat the Nittany Lions in the regular season last year — Saturday, Sept. 26, at 8 p.m. ET (on ABC or ESPN). Iowa has won six of the past seven games against Penn State, including last year’s 24-23 victory on a last-second field goal.
- ESPN will televise USC at Ohio State Saturday, Sept. 12, at 8 p.m. USC defeated Ohio State 35-3 last year in the first meeting between the traditional powers since 1990.
- Iowa will host Michigan Saturday, Oct. 10, at 8 p.m. (on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2). Michigan – the winningest NCAA football program with 872 victories — leads the series against Iowa with 40 wins, 10 losses and four ties.
- Purdue, led by new head coach Danny Hope, will host intrastate rival Notre Dame, led by head coach Charlie Weis, Saturday, Sept. 26, at 8 p.m. (on ABC or ESPN).
- Illinois and Missouri will open their seasons in a neutral site showdown from St. Louis Saturday, Sept. 5, at 3:40 p.m. (on ESPN or ESPN2). It will mark the third consecutive season-opening game between the programs with Missouri winning the first two.
- Penn State will visit Northwestern on Halloween Saturday, Oct. 31, at 4:30 p.m. (on ESPN or ESPN2). Penn State hasn’t lost to Northwestern since 2004 and leads the series with nine wins and three losses.
|Sept. 5||3:40 p.m.||Missouri vs. Illinois (from St. Louis)||ESPN or ESPN2|
|Sept. 12||8 p.m.||USC at Ohio State (previously released)||ESPN|
|Sept. 26||8 p.m.||Iowa at Penn State||ABC or ESPN|
|8 p.m.||Notre Dame at Purdue||ABC or ESPN|
|Oct. 10||8 p.m.||Michigan at Iowa||ABC, ESPN or ESPN2|
|Oct. 31||4:30 p.m.||Penn State at Northwestern||ESPN or ESPN2|