Mexican National Team star Giovani dos Santos, one of the best attacking midfielders from the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF), will make his Major League Soccer debut on ESPN Sunday, Aug. 9, at 4 p.m. ET, during the Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders match, live from the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.
Galaxy vs. Sounders is the first of four straight MLS Soccer Sunday matches on ESPN networks featuring many of the league’s marquee teams and topline on-the-field talent. The August slate on ESPN represents the most-impressive stretch of four league matchups in 20 years of MLS on ESPN. The month will culminate with Major League Soccer’s most-intense rivalry – Sounders vs. Timbers on “Heineken Rivalry Weekend” – on Sunday, Aug. 30, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
ESPN’s MLS Soccer Sunday in August:
|Sun, Aug 9||4 p.m.||Los Angeles Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders||ESPN, ESPN Deportes|
|Sun, Aug 16||5 p.m.||Seattle Sounders vs. Orlando City SC||ESPN2, ESPN Deportes|
|Sun, Aug 23||3 p.m.||Los Angeles Galaxy vs. New York City FC||ESPN, ESPN Deportes|
|Sun, Aug 30||4:30 p.m.||MLS Sunday Pre-game Show – #RivalryWeek||ESPN|
|5 p.m.||Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers||ESPN, ESPN Deportes|
MLS stars appearing on ESPN and ESPN Deportes this month:
- Kaká (Orlando City SC) – 2007 FIFA Player of the Year, 2002 FIFA World Cup Champion (Brazil), 2007 UEFA Champions League winner, and winner of several domestic league titles in the Italian Serie A and Spain’s La Liga;
- Steven Gerrard (Los Angeles Galaxy) – one of the most-accomplished players in English football – 114 matches for England, 2005 UEFA Champions League winner, 17 seasons with Liverpool FC – 12 as captain; 100+ matches for the National Team of England;
- Andrea Pirlo (New York City FC) – 2006 FIFA World Cup Champions (Italy), UEFA Champions League winner in 2003 and 2007, won several Serie A titles with AC Milan and Juventus;
- Robbie Keane (Los Angeles Galaxy) – current Major League Soccer “Most Valuable Player”, captain of the Republic of Ireland national team, three-time MLS Cup champion;
- David Villa (New York City FC) – 2010 FIFA World Cup champion (Spain), UEFA European Football Championship winner in 2008 and 2012, UEFA Champions League winner, three-time La Liga title winner – two with Barcelona and one with Atlético Madrid, Spain National Team’s all-time leading scorer (59);
- Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders) – one of U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team’s brightest stars, two-time CONCACAF Gold Cup champion, only U.S. player to score in three FIFA World Cup competitions; U.S. Soccer Athlete of the Year (3 times);
- Frank Lampard (New York City FC) – UEFA Champions League winner, All-time leading scorer for Chelsea (211), two-time Premier League Player of the Season, three-time Premier League champion, 100+ matches for the National Team of England;
- Giovani dos Santos (Los Angeles Galaxy) – 2012 Olympic soccer gold medalist, Mexican National Team star, three-time CONCACAF Gold Cup champion;
- Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders) – Serie A champion, 2014 MLS Goal of the Year, two-time Coppa Italia champion;
- Bruce Arena (manger, Los Angeles Galaxy) – Five-time MLS Cup-winning coach, former U.S. Men’s National Team manager – led the team to its best FIFA World Cup performance in the modern era, three-time MLS Coach of the Year.
Giovani dos Santos on Nación ESPN (ESPN Deportes, Friday at 9 p.m.):
Two days before his MLS debut, Giovani dos Santos will be a guest on ESPN Deportes’ award-winning Nación ESPN, Friday at 9 p.m. The popular Mexican National Team star will join hosts David Faitelson, Mauricio Pedroza and Rosy Martell to discuss his decision to join the Los Angeles Galaxy, his El Tri career, and more. Past Nación ESPN guests include David Beckham, Oscar de la Hoya, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Mike Tyson, American rapper Pittbull and more.