ESPN’s coverage of the 2017 NBA Draft presented by State Farm averaged a 2.7 metered market rating, up 13 percent from a 2.4 in 2016, according to Nielsen. It matches the third-highest rated NBA Draft on ESPN. The telecast peaked with a 4.0 rating from 8:15-8:30 p.m. ET.
Since First Take moved to ESPN on Tuesday, Jan. 3, the show’s audience (P2+) has increased 12% and its “reach” – the total number of people who watch the show in the course of a month – is 63% larger. Also, the audience profile is younger and more diverse than when it aired on ESPN2.
Long Leaders with Young Males, Both Networks Showing Growing Appeal to Adults 25-54
ESPN, ESPN2 Both up 9% in Prime Time
ESPN Deportes concluyó su cobertura exclusiva en español del 2017 World Baseball Classic con el juego final por el campeonato entre la selección de los Estados Unidos frente a Puerto Rico el miércoles, 22 de marzo, con niveles de audiencia récord.
Continuing an upward ratings trend for baseball on ESPN Deportes, the network wrapped up its exclusive Spanish-language coverage of the 2017 World Baseball Classic with the championship game featuring the United States vs Puerto Rico Wednesday, March 22, delivering top ratings. The final marked the largest audience for a baseball game on Spanish-language television and viewing for the overall tournament on ESPN Deportes finished up 67 percent from 2013.
College Football Results in ESPN Being the Most-Watched Network on Saturday Night
In a similar matchup to last year’s action for the women, World No.1-ranked Serena Williams defeated No.2 Angelique Kerber in the Ladies’ Championship, tying Steffi Graf’s Open Era record of 22 grand slam titles. The telecast – which also includes the Williams sisters winning the Ladies’ Doubles Championship – earned a 1.1 U.S. rating, representing an average of 1,604,000 viewers (P2+) according to Nielsen, making it the highest-rated and most-viewed Ladies’ Championship telecast since 2012, when ESPN began airing the match.
Through six months of 2016, ESPN tops the entire television industry – broadcast and cable – for total day live audience among men 18-34. The network averaged 144,000 viewers in that key demographic.
Through five months of 2016, ESPN is No. 1 on cable in numerous key demo groups – including those for males and for all viewers – in both total day and prime-time ratings, and tops the entire television industry – broadcast and cable – for total day ratings among men 18-34.
ESPN Deportes was the highest-rated, most-watched cable network – English or Spanish – among Total Hispanics and Hispanics P18-49 on match day
The UEFA Champions League Final on Saturday, May 28, in which Real Madrid beat city rivals Atletico Madrid 5-3 in a dramatic match that went to penalties, is the most-watched event on ESPN Deportes ever, according to Nielsen. The match reached an average of 1.3 million Hispanic viewers P+2, delivering a 5.0 Hispanic household rating – surpassing the UEFA Euro 2012 final (Spain vs. Italy) that reached 1.1 million Hispanic viewers P+2 and a tie rating of 5.0 Hispanic household.
- ESPN Deportes channel on WatchESPN scored its highest event ever to date with the Madrid Derby. The match delivered 7.6 million total minutes viewed with 138,000 live unique viewers.
- ESPN Deportes was the highest-rated, most-watched cable network – English or Spanish – among total Hispanics, and Hispanics 18-49 on match day, Saturday, May 28. The day averaged a 1.0 Hispanic household rating and 242,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, surpassing May 27, 2009, which was at the top, by 11% in household rating, and 47% in viewership.
The extensive game-around-the-game coverage also showed ratings growth:
- Fuera de Juego’s post-game show scored its highest-rated, most-watched telecast thus far this year with an average 1.0 Hispanic household rating and 239,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, surpassing the post-show around Copa del Rey Final on May 22, 2016, which tapped an average 0.9 Hispanic household rating and 226,000 Hispanic household viewers P+2.
- The SportsCenter pre-match weekend edition reached an average 0.5 Hispanic household rating 86,000 Hispanic viewers P+2, becoming the second highest-rated SportsCenter edition thus far this year on the network, behind the special post-Super Bowl 50 show on February 7 that delivered a 0.8 Hispanic household rating.
- The record-breaking audience for the final follows a successful 2015-2016 season of UEFA Champions League on ESPN Deportes. In total, the network’s coverage of the league delivered a 1.0 Hispanic household rating, up 11% year-over-year – reaching an average of 222,000 Hispanic viewers P+2 – a 28% growth year-over-year.
ESPN Deportes’ Summer of Champions continues in June with the kickoff of the UEFA Euro 2016. Beginning June 10, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Deportes and ESPN Deportes Radio will carry more than 200 hours of live coverage of UEFA EURO 2016 combined, including all 51 matches live on the English-language networks and on ESPN Deportes, the most comprehensive presentation to date of the European Football Championship in the United States.